FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Flying CX during the time of Coronavirus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2012017-flying-cx-during-time-coronavirus.html)

Cameron Tang Mar 9, 2020 2:21 am

Flying CX during the time of Coronavirus

Hi

What is it like flying CX during these extraordinary times?

Do most of the flight attendants wear facial masks?
Has Cathay modified the meal service on long haul flights?
Are all the HK lounges quiet?

blum81 Mar 9, 2020 3:16 am

I'll find out tomorrow when I land in HK and spend a forced night in HK waiting for my connecting flight.

alijavaid93 Mar 9, 2020 7:10 am

Yes, the cabin crew wears masks all the time.
I flew to Brussels yesterday and the flight load was 50-70%
No queue for the runway which I kind of liked.
I took some preventive measures, like cleaned my seat with 75% alcohol, washed my hands properly (of course) and handled toilet doors and overhead luggage bins with tissue paper. Avoid touching anything and use hand sanitizers roughly once every hour.

Safe travels! :)

bluetus04 Mar 9, 2020 2:22 pm

Flew long haul last week. No pre-departure drinks in PEY but otherwise meal service is normal. Yes all cabin crews wear masks all the time. Lounge has some people, not crowded at all but not dead quiet. HKG airport is very quiet though. No line up at all for check-in and security, and rows of empty gates (gates 6x).

sassysan Mar 9, 2020 3:52 pm

I was in J last week and PE yesterday (LAX-HKG-NRT, HND-HKG-LAX respectively). Last week I'd guess ~50% full, yesterday was eerily empty. Maybe 10 people in PE. Y was practically deserted. I was able to wander back from PE and find a completely empty row in Y to take a nap in.

Cabin crew always wore masks all the time. In addition, all ground staff at HKG, HND, and NRT, and most at LAX, wore masks.

J meal service was served all at once in a tray, instead of plate by plate. Unlike bluetus04, I did get a PDB in PE.

The HKG Pier Business was very quiet, didn't check out Wing. Plenty of seating, no wait time for shower, food/tea delivered to your seat instead of getting a buzzer to pick up. HND lounge was a bit busier, but still quiet.

sparkj Mar 10, 2020 12:31 am

How is the trans-pacific flights load nowadays on Economy?
Doesn't seem like CX is lowering its prices much these days and wondering if I just pick the back of Econ (want to go to YYZ), I could probably get a row to myself?

bluetus04 Mar 10, 2020 4:55 am

Originally Posted by sparkj (Post 32163271)
Doesn't seem like CX is lowering its prices much these days and wondering if I just pick the back of Econ (want to go to YYZ), I could probably get a row to myself?

I flew HKG-YVR last week and the flight was surprising full. Not completely packed with empty seats here and there, but I don't think anyone got a full row. CX cut this route to 1 per day (as opposed to 2-3 daily in the past) and I think that's why it was not empty with the combined passengers.

Also notice they're flying this route with A350 this week with less seats. I would say don't expect to get a full row to yourself quite yet.

tentseller Mar 10, 2020 10:20 am

Originally Posted by sparkj (Post 32163271)

826/829 is now every other day. it is also downgauged to the A359/1

blum81 Mar 10, 2020 10:37 pm

Last nights Cathay Dragon flight from KUL to HKG didn't seem any different than any others I took.

Except everyone including the flight attendants were wearing masks. I say the plane was about 70% full. But there's also only one flight per day now I think, when there used to be 3-4?

Checking in my luggage for my HKG to YVR flight as we speak. Very happy I got my upgrade to J, though it's 11D but I'll take it.

mastertrust Mar 11, 2020 12:05 am

Several flights on CX the last few days. Flight from JFK to Hong Kong was packed, every other flight was half full at best, with my Hong Kong to Bangkok flight having about nine passengers due to a change in Thailand’s vetting process for passengers from high-risk areas. On all flight Crewmembers all wore masks, most wore gloves. Saw lots of passengers wiping Services down with wipes.

blum81 Mar 12, 2020 11:31 pm

Flew CX838 on March 11th on an a350.

Business class was completely full. Y looked to be about 80% full. Almost every passenger had masks on and all staff had masks on. They gave out extra hand wipes to to wipe down your seats/tv/etc. I was able to ask for a few and the crew seemed ok giving them out.

Nothing out of the ordinary to be honest.

percysmith Mar 13, 2020 12:53 am

Originally Posted by blum81 (Post 32177392)
Almost every passenger had masks on and all staff had masks on

The whole 13 hours, even when trying to sleep? What a bugbear if true.

bluetus04 Mar 13, 2020 3:19 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32177532)
The whole 13 hours, even when trying to sleep? What a bugbear if true.

True for my HKG-YVR flight last week too. Most passengers have masks on all the time and I wore a mask too even when sleeping. I changed to a new one midway when I woke up, but not sure about others!

NeoZ Mar 13, 2020 4:29 am

Anyone flew on HKG-LHR/LHR-HKG?

Unfortunately I have to fly... but noticed a few people who had took this route have Corona. Honestly a bit worried

Chubbychun Mar 13, 2020 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by NeoZ (Post 32178001)
Anyone flew on HKG-LHR/LHR-HKG?

Unfortunately I have to fly... but noticed a few people who had took this route have Corona. Honestly a bit worried

I was going to until cx rerouted the flights through London due to the quarantine measures for passengers whove been to schengen areas within 14 days. F availability literally zeroed out for 2 weeks so ended up booking BA F instead. A friend flew yesterday on 252 and was full in F and J so I'd be afraid for the spread of viruses with such a dense loading.