Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Necessary to repeatedly ask about trips to Cononavirus countries?

Old Mar 7, 20, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Iíve taken about 6 CX segments this past week, 3 of which inbound to HKG and 3 more departed from HKG.

Each time at check in, I was asked (and my passport scrutinised) about whether I had been to mainland China, Iran, Italy etc. in the past 14 days which are grounds to deny boarding. Fair enough - as airline protocol.

But only for my flights they depart HKG, I was asked the same questions again at the gate. I replied with a quick no, but obviously this repeated asking for the same information is becoming irksome. Another person who was queuing in front of me to board (CX DM tag hanging on his hand luggage) clearly was irritated and gave the gate agent a telling off. In no way excusing that personís behaviour, why is CX repeatedly asking the same information? Would a personís status of having travelled to such countries change in the 2-3 hours or so between checkin and boarding?

On the surface, this doesnít seem to make sense to me, unless thereís additional safeguard put in place that Iím unaware of...
Old Mar 7, 20, 6:06 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
There may be some people in transit who haven’t had contact with a HKG ground crew member before boarding.

Not that I think any of these questions are actually effective in stopping the virus.
Sozee, flubber, infinitium and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 6:07 pm

Seriously?

Yes, they (and some other airlines) ask repeatedly for international travel. HK was one of the first hotspots and CXís business has been severely affected.

Answer the question, move along. Letís just hope we get through these times quickly.
Old Mar 7, 20, 7:19 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
I'm going to assume it's for transit passengers.

You'll get the first set of questions at the check in for those departing from Hong Kong.

Then another at the gate.
If someone came in from say an Qatar or Emirates flight transiting on their way to North America, I'd want the gate staff to ask as well.

I don' see anything wrong with this. They can ask me all they want if it identifies a passenger from one of the countries on alert.
Old Mar 7, 20, 9:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Has mandatory health reporting form for all HKG inbound passenger gone into effect?

Fill it out even for transit, sign and hand over the form to the staff. Without further elaboration. Passive aggressive .
Old Mar 7, 20, 9:49 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Has mandatory health reporting form for all HKG inbound passenger gone into effect?

Fill it out even for transit, sign and hand over the form to the staff. Without further boration. Passive aggressive .
yes. Fill in the form, have red and green tunnel for health inspection
Old Mar 7, 20, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
yes. Fill in the form, have red and green tunnel for health inspection
then a pic of the form for the transit staff
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:29 pm

No problem.

It is good that they check and re-check. Each jurisdiction has its separate responsibility.
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
The agents are doing their job. I am sure these are new operation procedures for the airport agents.
Old Mar 8, 20, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There should be some way of tracking that the "guest" has been asked the questions and has answered A, B, or C.
Old Mar 8, 20, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller View Post
There should be some way of tracking that the "guest" has been asked the questions and has answered A, B, or C.
Infeed. Either self declaration via online checkin or for those who are unable to, a simple official stamp on the boarding pass?
Old Mar 8, 20, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Infeed. Either self declaration via online checkin or for those who are unable to, a simple official stamp on the boarding pass?
Wow that can be implemented and for very little cost, that would be way too little fun for AHQ.
Old Mar 8, 20, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Are you sure that there isn't already a system in place? Secondarily do you want to test to see if there is?
Point of reference way back in the 80's LHR had a system that flagged and tracked travelers as they went through check points by passport and photo, answers to various questions.
Old Mar 8, 20, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post

Fill it out even for transit, sign and hand over the form to the staff. Without further elaboration. Passive aggressive .
As of today, Sunday March 8, the form is only for people entering Hong Kong. Transit people do not fill out the form.
Old Mar 8, 20, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is, of course, possible for CX to reprogram its systems to add an additional field to the check-in business process. That takes time, effort, and money and must then be alpha and beta tested before being launched systemwide.

Or one could simply ask a simple question, receive an answer and be done with it.

I am absolutely fine with some redundancy here as the downside risks far exeed the costs of asking.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: