FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   Necessary to repeatedly ask about trips to Cononavirus countries? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2011878-necessary-repeatedly-ask-about-trips-cononavirus-countries.html)

carrotjuice Mar 7, 2020 5:48 pm

Necessary to repeatedly ask about trips to Cononavirus countries?

I’ve taken about 6 CX segments this past week, 3 of which inbound to HKG and 3 more departed from HKG.

Each time at check in, I was asked (and my passport scrutinised) about whether I had been to mainland China, Iran, Italy etc. in the past 14 days which are grounds to deny boarding. Fair enough - as airline protocol.

But only for my flights they depart HKG, I was asked the same questions again at the gate. I replied with a quick no, but obviously this repeated asking for the same information is becoming irksome. Another person who was queuing in front of me to board (CX DM tag hanging on his hand luggage) clearly was irritated and gave the gate agent a telling off. In no way excusing that person’s behaviour, why is CX repeatedly asking the same information? Would a person’s status of having travelled to such countries change in the 2-3 hours or so between checkin and boarding?

On the surface, this doesn’t seem to make sense to me, unless there’s additional safeguard put in place that I’m unaware of...

sxc Mar 7, 2020 6:06 pm

There may be some people in transit who haven’t had contact with a HKG ground crew member before boarding.

Not that I think any of these questions are actually effective in stopping the virus.

CXYYZ Mar 7, 2020 6:07 pm

Seriously?

Yes, they (and some other airlines) ask repeatedly for international travel. HK was one of the first hotspots and CX’s business has been severely affected.

Answer the question, move along. Let’s just hope we get through these times quickly.

blum81 Mar 7, 2020 7:19 pm

I'm going to assume it's for transit passengers.

You'll get the first set of questions at the check in for those departing from Hong Kong.

Then another at the gate.
If someone came in from say an Qatar or Emirates flight transiting on their way to North America, I'd want the gate staff to ask as well.

I don' see anything wrong with this. They can ask me all they want if it identifies a passenger from one of the countries on alert.

percysmith Mar 7, 2020 9:40 pm

Has mandatory health reporting form for all HKG inbound passenger gone into effect?

Fill it out even for transit, sign and hand over the form to the staff. Without further elaboration. Passive aggressive .

pbd456 Mar 7, 2020 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32155302)
Has mandatory health reporting form for all HKG inbound passenger gone into effect?

Fill it out even for transit, sign and hand over the form to the staff. Without further boration. Passive aggressive .

yes. Fill in the form, have red and green tunnel for health inspection

percysmith Mar 7, 2020 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 32155319)
yes. Fill in the form, have red and green tunnel for health inspection

then a pic of the form for the transit staff

walkup Mar 7, 2020 10:29 pm

No problem.

It is good that they check and re-check. Each jurisdiction has its separate responsibility.

allset2travel Mar 7, 2020 10:41 pm

The agents are doing their job. I am sure these are new operation procedures for the airport agents.

tentseller Mar 8, 2020 3:29 am

There should be some way of tracking that the "guest" has been asked the questions and has answered A, B, or C.

carrotjuice Mar 8, 2020 4:37 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 32155743)
There should be some way of tracking that the "guest" has been asked the questions and has answered A, B, or C.

Infeed. Either self declaration via online checkin or for those who are unable to, a simple official stamp on the boarding pass?

percysmith Mar 8, 2020 5:11 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 32155873)
Infeed. Either self declaration via online checkin or for those who are unable to, a simple official stamp on the boarding pass?

Wow that can be implemented and for very little cost, that would be way too little fun for AHQ.

Dublin_rfk Mar 8, 2020 8:17 am

Are you sure that there isn't already a system in place? Secondarily do you want to test to see if there is?
Point of reference way back in the 80's LHR had a system that flagged and tracked travelers as they went through check points by passport and photo, answers to various questions.

sassysan Mar 8, 2020 8:36 am

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 32155302)

Fill it out even for transit, sign and hand over the form to the staff. Without further elaboration. Passive aggressive .

As of today, Sunday March 8, the form is only for people entering Hong Kong. Transit people do not fill out the form.

Often1 Mar 8, 2020 8:51 am

It is, of course, possible for CX to reprogram its systems to add an additional field to the check-in business process. That takes time, effort, and money and must then be alpha and beta tested before being launched systemwide.

Or one could simply ask a simple question, receive an answer and be done with it.

I am absolutely fine with some redundancy here as the downside risks far exeed the costs of asking.