Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cellars in the sky 2019: Cathay Pacific wins silver for First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:02 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ines-revealed/

Cathay Pacific wins Silver for their First Class wine selection, and Cathay Dragon has best First Class sparkling wine (Champagne Rare Millesimé 2002, Piper-Heidsieck, France)
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
I notice the article says the blind tastings took place at a hotel in London. Shouldn't the tastings be done in a pressurized room/cabin to reflect how they would actually taste when served?
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
imho..on the ground, or, in the air..MH does not have the best business class cellar!
HKGglobaltrotter likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: CX - DM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Titanium
Originally Posted by jagmeets
imho..on the ground, or, in the air..MH does not have the best business class cellar!
Also I noted the number of airlines participated in this competition, cited at the bottom of the article. The list is rather short. For e.g. Air France, Lufthansa, Swiss and United weren't participate just to name a few big airlines. I am not saying United has a great wine list but to name 'Best Cellar in the Sky' in whatever the category is a bit stretching when only 35 airlines joined the competition. I would expect Air France wins some titles since their premium cabin F&B is usually very good to excellent.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: QF, KF
Originally Posted by jagmeets
I think the 2007 CDC got them across the line!
Old Feb 27, 2020, 5:53 pm

Thanks for posting sxc and good on Cathay Dragon; I find the detailed list in the link interesting reading. It shows as in previous years that some airlines, such as ANA, really do take their wine selection seriously. I always treat "Cellars in the Sky" seriously; albeit the tasting is not at altitude, by a blind tasting by an expert panel is refreshing compared to leading bloggers whose knowledge of wine is limited to its prestige value and the fact that it isn't their usual ghastly soda.
The list of airlines who entered covers almost all those who may have top notch wine in my opinion, with the possible exception of Lufthansa and Swiss (Turkish at a push depending on the style preference of the panel). Air France I rather like not including in one way, as it conjures up an image of them haughtily refusing to deign a British-organised wine tasting with their presence. Also, many of the best wines are bound to be French and so with ANA, EVA, British Airways and indeed Cathay in the mix, a snapshot like this could mean Air France ending up in the awkward position of being characterised as being less good at selecting wines from its home market than some foreign airlines: smarter for it to abstain and thereby maintain its amour propre.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:30 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by sloth
I think the 2007 CDC got them across the line!
Not that it was considered in the tasting, but MH had a Malbec for part of last year which matched very well with their satay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.