Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

LATAM to leave oneworld: Changes to your travel benefits

Old Feb 18, 20, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold

Just stumbled across this more or less accidentally on the CX website:

Old Feb 18, 20, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
Interesting that they are providing club miles and elite recognitions only on LA*LA flights until Oct 2020, but won't provide anything if it is LA * OW? Typically the lounge access, preferred seats, priority check-in, etc benefits are operating carrier-driven benefits, I can't imagine if you had an LA flight operated by QF, they would deny your access into the QF lounge?

The biggest blow would probably be that OW multicarrier award cannot be on LA anymore, which kinda limits its use
Old Feb 18, 20, 11:12 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by shd9 View Post
Interesting that they are providing club miles and elite recognitions only on LA*LA flights until Oct 2020, but won't provide anything if it is LA * OW? Typically the lounge access, preferred seats, priority check-in, etc benefits are operating carrier-driven benefits, I can't imagine if you had an LA flight operated by QF, they would deny your access into the QF lounge?
If you have a CA*CX flight, the QF lounge at HKG is not obligated to let you in, so technically LA*QF will be the same from May on, since LA officially leaves OW in May. Both CX and QF are giving their members extra grace periods till Oct. (and LA honours CX and QF members), so perhaps QF will be lenient.

This is more disappointing. I thought LA would go à la CZ and pretty much keep mutual élite recognition with everyone sans AA. Guess LA will just be an ordinary AM partner (like CA, PG, GF, and ZH) from Oct. on.
Old Feb 20, 20, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
If you have a CA*CX flight, the QF lounge at HKG is not obligated to let you in, so technically LA*QF will be the same from May on, since LA officially leaves OW in May. Both CX and QF are giving their members extra grace periods till Oct. (and LA honours CX and QF members), so perhaps QF will be lenient.

This is more disappointing. I thought LA would go à la CZ and pretty much keep mutual élite recognition with everyone sans AA. Guess LA will just be an ordinary AM partner (like CA, PG, GF, and ZH) from Oct. on.
Good to know. It does appear that OW lounge access by tier require the flight to be both marketed and operated by OW airlines, while access by boarding class doesn’t.

Also, it appears LA won’t earn elite credits on most OW airlines post exiting. QF JL CX already indicated LA fights won’t earn elite credit, and I guess BA and IB could soon follow
Old Feb 21, 20, 12:56 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by shd9 View Post
Good to know. It does appear that OW lounge access by tier require the flight to be both marketed and operated by OW airlines, while access by boarding class doesn’t.
If the flight is not oneworld marketed + oneworld operated, and the mean of access is by class, you can only go to the designated lounge, not any oneworld lounge.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: