Japan Red Eye and Equipment Lottery

Old Feb 17, 20, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Japan Red Eye and Equipment Lottery

Anyone have an estimate of how often CX524 and CX566 get aircraft with LH J vs SH J? Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 20, 3:34 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Normally - 524 and 566 never get LH J because the LH fleet has to fly the LH prime departure window, which is late night/midnight departures.

But now with so many LH cancellations due to ChVID, "maybe" you'll luck out.
Unionruler likes this.
Old Feb 17, 20, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
hkg-japan are 3hours and 15-30mintutes flying time at best. No sleep is ever good for that duration. I've done in both in Y and J and swear never again, unless i need to see someone who's suddenly dying in Japan
Unionruler, clazza, shd9 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 20, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Normally - 524 and 566 never get LH J because the LH fleet has to fly the LH prime departure window, which is late night/midnight departures.

But now with so many LH cancellations due to ChVID, "maybe" you'll luck out.
It used to be the case, but now I am seeing quite a bit 359/35K on 524 and 526 runs on off-seasons. Of course on any peak travel time those flights are going to be bumped to the dreaded 773...

Agreed that those flights are quite miserable for sleeping, probably only slightly better than redeyes LAX-ORD or LIM-SCL. The atmosphere of those flights are just strange. In the back I believe it is primarily tour groups, which at times could be chaotic. In the front many people still want to have a dinner and sometimes they are working with the lights on... maybe they are in a different time zone?
Old Feb 20, 20, 3:52 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shd9 View Post
It used to be the case, but now I am seeing quite a bit 359/35K on 524 and 526 runs on off-seasons. Of course on any peak travel time those flights are going to be bumped to the dreaded 773...

Agreed that those flights are quite miserable for sleeping, probably only slightly better than redeyes LAX-ORD or LIM-SCL. The atmosphere of those flights are just strange. In the back I believe it is primarily tour groups, which at times could be chaotic. In the front many people still want to have a dinner and sometimes they are working with the lights on... maybe they are in a different time zone?
I've done at least 5-6 hkg-kix/nrt redeyes in the back and I'm usually a walking zombie for half the day. It is the price to be paid for trying to maximize time at the destination.

There are a few tips like catching the limo bus instead of the train which guarantees you a seat. There's a lot to gained from another 15 minute power nap. I've gotten lucky a few times with the hotel room being ready soon after reaching the city, but other than being able to take a shower, I have yet to be able to successfully knock out. During the rest of the day, coffee helps and trains in Japan are remarkably quiet and great for napping.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: