Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Pier F, Bridge and Deck to temporarily close from 17 Feb

Old Feb 13, 20, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE

Just saw this on twitter! Sad news

Last edited by OneWorldLoyalist; Feb 13, 20 at 10:20 am
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:24 am

Also in the South Peking Morning Post: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...remium-airport
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Kind of wished they took the time to close and renovate the wing F /J instead of closing the Pier F. Maybe im being wishful, but maybe a small renovation for when they reopen the Bridge?
tfung, flubber, agjil and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:26 am

Programs: SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
Pier First Class Lounge closing eff Feb 17th ?

As reported by One Mile at a Time ?

https://onemileatatime.com/cathay-pa...osing-lounges/
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by OneWorldLoyalist View Post
Kind of wished they took the time to close and renovate the wing F /J instead of closing the Pier F. Maybe im being wishful, but maybe a small renovation for when they reopen the Bridge?
Given that the reason they are closing is because their revenue is taking a massive hit under the current situation, yes I think that's wishful thinking!
Funky Spike, NoY, MKBshaw and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:10 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
I wonder if CX should temporarily close their PEK and PVG lounges, given only 1 flight per day. I am not sure if they have specific clause with the contractors to make it possible, but it should be cheaper to just send people to other lounges now, given other lounges are also going to be empty.
Old Feb 13, 20, 4:53 pm

Oops this is too bad.
Hopefully CX will be able to recover from this situation soon and re-open the lounges.
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
The Pier in F is one of the highlights whenever I visit HK. The Wing is not the same. Understandable given all that’s going on, but still really bummed about it.
roberto99, flubber and Rami Tamimi like this.
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:26 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wayne Kao View Post
The Pier in F is one of the highlights whenever I visit HK. The Wing is not the same. Understandable given all that’s going on, but still really bummed about it.
Would have preferred them to close the Wing F instead but probably makes more sense to close the Pier F given the location.
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:33 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Agree with the above posters about Pier F.

Also, while they must’ve had their reasons to close the ones they did, my uninformed view would’ve had The Bridge staying open, instead of the Pier J- a lot more gates (30s, Low 40s & 60s) within a short walk, than the Pier J...
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:38 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
They’d have to renovate Wing sooner or later

How would they do it? Turn Wing into a F-only lounge, fan out all the J traffic to Bridge and Pier?
Old Feb 13, 20, 11:48 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
They’d have to renovate Wing sooner or later

How would they do it? Turn Wing into a F-only lounge, fan out all the J traffic to Bridge and Pier?
cant do the latter
no way they are going to be sending J pax halfway up the terminal to the Bridge
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jagmeets View Post
Also, while they must’ve had their reasons to close the ones they did, my uninformed view would’ve had The Bridge staying open, instead of the Pier J- a lot more gates (30s, Low 40s & 60s) within a short walk, than the Pier J...
While location is less convenient, Pier has more capacity and lots more showers.
jagmeets and Sozee like this.
Old Feb 14, 20, 2:11 am

Programs: Ex *A now CX. IHG/Marriott convert
We will also be modifying the buffet to offer individually packed food options, supplemented by made-to-order hot food from the Noodle Bar, in our lounges in Hong Kong International Airport, Shanghai Pudong International Airport, and Beijing Capital International Airport.
Any news or photos of this new "packed food option" in the lounge? I hope they won't cut back on the bar offerings since alcohol kills germs!!
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Lifetime, BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
So I'm just in the pier first class lounge right now, you can understand why they are closing it, sat down for a very late lunch around 4pm (excellent service, regular refills, attentive staff) but there were only four customers there the whole time. The whole lounge by about 5pm still has perhaps ten passengers. Glad I came to give it a whirl, feels like it may be a few months till I return.

In terms of food: Cooked to order was unchanged (seems like the menus keep getting better tbh), but the normal buffet areas are vastly different (and hygienic), with everything being wrapped, even the macaroons.

Covered macaroons

Very limited food choices compared to normal, and wrapped in paper
!
becks1 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: