Coronavirus and upgrade policy

Old Feb 7, 20, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Platinum Pro, AAirpass; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Gold
Coronavirus and upgrade policy

I was wondering if Cathay might change their upgrade policy in light of the situation with Coronavirus. Flight loads at the moment are extremely low and I thought they may be keen on generating some extra revenue. I'm due to fly JFK-HKG-SGN next month (I was originally booked through EWR, but it was canceled) and only 18/53 business class seats are occupied. I'm currently booked into an E fare in Premium Economy, which usually isn't upgradable, but was hoping they might offer some sort of deal.
Old Feb 7, 20, 6:12 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
They should- but Iíll be surprised if the large bureaucratic Organization that CX is, is able to move quickly enough for such tactical plays.
beach86 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 6:58 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
I think they still worry about cannibalising higher fare buckets if they allowed this even during nCoV
Old Feb 7, 20, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by interactfx View Post
I was wondering if Cathay might change their upgrade policy in light of the situation with Coronavirus. Flight loads at the moment are extremely low and I thought they may be keen on generating some extra revenue. I'm due to fly JFK-HKG-SGN next month (I was originally booked through EWR, but it was canceled) and only 18/53 business class seats are occupied. I'm currently booked into an E fare in Premium Economy, which usually isn't upgradable, but was hoping they might offer some sort of deal.
Would a deal include you paying the difference between E and R?
JordanWalker likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 8:34 am

perhaps you should consider the ethics of using this situation as a negotiating point.
D3KingAmerican and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 8:45 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Not on the ethics/negotiation bit.., I think thereís a fair point to be made for CX trying to use this tough period to get some of the milesí related liability off the book when planes are flying with very low loads/fill seats on flights that are flying in any case...
Old Feb 7, 20, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Iím not viewing this as a negotiation or asking for a free upgrade. Iím simply suggesting as a way to increase revenue to open up bid to upgrade or some other paid upgrade mechanism to allow previously ineligible fare buckets to upgrade. Seems silly to me to fly a cabin empty instead of generating extra upgrade revenue.
Old Feb 7, 20, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
CX has bigger things to worry about than tinkering with the details of its upgrade policy.
36902BRF, sxc and JordanWalker like this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 9:09 am

Iím not viewing this as a negotiation or asking for a free upgrade. Iím simply suggesting as a way to increase revenue to open up bid to upgrade or some other paid upgrade mechanism to allow previously ineligible fare buckets to upgrade. Seems silly to me to fly a cabin empty instead of generating extra upgrade revenue.
you are welcome to buy a seat in a higher cabin if it worries you that much!
JordanWalker likes this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CX has an immediate cash crunch. Tinkering with upgrade policies won't help that. In fact, it might cause some people who would have paid for a higher cabin not to. While it is always good to get miles' liability off one's books for long-term stability reasons, the words "CX" and "long-term" are not to be used in the same sentence just now.
nancypants, MKBshaw and jerrywu like this.
Old Feb 7, 20, 11:50 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Took CX893 back to HKG earlier this week - they were selling Y to PE upgrades for $600 USD which is what they usually go for.

But only fools would pay that much for a one way upgrade 1) most people in economy had an entire row to themselves on the A359 so why bother paying for PEY? and 2) if one really wanted to PEY, round trip tickets on a per leg basis were going for around the upgrade price anyways.

I will say if you do get an entire row of the middle section in PEY, it can be very very very very comfortable. The seats have excellent recline and the personal space is actually more than you'd get in business class if the entire row is yours. Spread out, stick a pillow under each arm, recline, and extend the leg rest, and maybe you can knock out for 8 hours straight like I did.
Old Feb 8, 20, 5:01 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by triplefives View Post
Took CX893 back to HKG earlier this week - they were selling Y to PE upgrades for $600 USD which is what they usually go for.

But only fools would pay that much for a one way upgrade 1) most people in economy had an entire row to themselves on the A359 so why bother paying for PEY? and 2) if one really wanted to PEY, round trip tickets on a per leg basis were going for around the upgrade price anyways.

I will say if you do get an entire row of the middle section in PEY, it can be very very very very comfortable. The seats have excellent recline and the personal space is actually more than you'd get in business class if the entire row is yours. Spread out, stick a pillow under each arm, recline, and extend the leg rest, and maybe you can knock out for 8 hours straight like I did.
LAX-HKG was $1200 for PY to Biz and $600 Y to PY last week.
Old Feb 8, 20, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKBshaw View Post
LAX-HKG was $1200 for PY to Biz and $600 Y to PY last week.
Was this bid to upgrade or something else?
Old Feb 8, 20, 1:21 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
FYI, seat maps are not an accurate mean of knowing the load. Some people don't select seats. You can only know the load if you have access to CX's internal system.
Old Feb 8, 20, 9:31 pm

Programs: QF
Was this bid to upgrade or something else?
They had a sign up at the check in counter, so they were definitely pushing the upgrades. J cabin was quite empty.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: