Search

Coronavirus and upgrade policy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:37 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The two times I’ve been through LAX last year they had the upgrade offer lit up above the check in counter so it seems this is a common occurrence. The price isn’t particularly attractive though.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:19 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by MKBshaw
They had a sign up at the check in counter, so they were definitely pushing the upgrades. J cabin was quite empty.
Originally Posted by sxc
The two times I’ve been through LAX last year they had the upgrade offer lit up above the check in counter so it seems this is a common occurrence. The price isn’t particularly attractive though.
Originally Posted by MKBshaw
LAX-HKG was $1200 for PY to Biz and $600 Y to PY last week.
yea definitely, this isn't something new though. I've noticed CX's SFO and LAX outports advertising these upgrades for at least a year now. Last time I flew CX ex-SFO was first week of Jan (before the coronavirus thing became public) CX had the electronic counter on two signs turned up "Upgrade to Premium Economy: $600". you know, where it normally says "economy", "business class", "first class", "bag drop", etc. they just had two lit up saying you could upgrade for $. I can't remember the price exactly a decade ago, but I recall as long as 10 years ago the LAX outport doing this. I don't know exactly how it works but I've always thought the SFO and LAX outports seem to have more autonomy in trying to self-generate revenue, just I've seen them advertising this for a long time now. (although last month was the first time I noticed they turned on the check-in counter sign saying as much!)

I tend to agree with the folks above, a little bit of upgrade revenue is peanuts and irrelevant compared to the problems they're facing. (Not to mention, you are nearly guaranteed a full row in economy these days!) I took a peek at some of the Asia loadings, as can anyone who has a friend or access to the CX system can see as well. "Abominable" is way too nice a word to describe it. Average loading appears to be around 20-25%, flights with 50 people on them. I saw one loading today with less than 5 passengers. Not even mainland China!
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Flying this morning from SFO to hkg. Plane max 50 passengers. I was in premium ecconomy with 3 more passengers . Business empty. Ecconomy class like a ghost town. I asked about business class upgrade from premium ecconomy.it was 5000 USD. They are in self destructive mode. So sad to see them going down the hill.
brunos, MSPeconomist and 36902BRF like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:38 am

Wrong thread.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Feb 10, 2020 at 9:09 am
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
CX 734 on Feb 13 got cancelled and I got bumped to CX 716. Asked if E Class could be upgradable as courtesy to the rebooking to the delayed flight. Short and curt answer: NO, what else do you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.