Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Membership Holiday during the 2019-nCov

Membership Holiday during the 2019-nCov

Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: CX Gold
I just renewed silver last 31 March. I think I won’t be able to fly for the rest of the year due to the different entry restrictions in each country. Should I apply for membership holiday?
Old May 6, 2020, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Has anyone been successful in "activating" their membership before the end of their membership holiday?
Old May 8, 2020, 1:29 am
Original Poster

I was able to hear back from Marco Polo Club...they sent me the Terms and Conditions of the holiday basically telling me that i should stick to the terms.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Has anyone been successful in "activating" their membership before the end of their membership holiday?
When I took the first holiday, and I have done three I was told that the account could be re-activated upon notice but had to work within a months end and the rest of the holiday would be written off.

However MPC programme sticks to the same year end so this is how it worked for me.

1. My year end is 31/08
2. I started taking the holidays around November/December time
3. When each holiday was finished I was given until the 31/08 of the following year to renew to Diamond
4. So I did not get a full year to renew to DM. Not that I had any interest.

The rules may have changed but that was my experience.

Good :Luck!
Old May 9, 2020, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
When I took the first holiday, and I have done three I was told that the account could be re-activated upon notice but had to work within a months end and the rest of the holiday would be written off.

However MPC programme sticks to the same year end so this is how it worked for me.

1. My year end is 31/08
3. When each holiday was finished I was given until the 31/08 of the following year to renew to Diamond

Here's the T&C for the membership holiday sent by Marco Polo

1. Membership Holiday
1. Silver, Gold and Diamond members who will like to apply for, change or cancel a Membership Holiday should contact the Marco Polo Club Service Centre.

2. Request must be made between 7 days and 90 days before requested Membership Holiday start.

3. Membership Holiday cannot start on the current membership expiry month or outside of the current membership period.

4. Minimum of 1 month and maximum of 12 months period for each Membership Holiday.

5. Only 3 membership holidays per membership lifetime is permitted.

6. Membership tier and remaining membership period will resume after the Membership Holiday.

7. A new membership card (with new expiry date) will be issued after Membership Holiday period, while mid-tier benefits before their expiration date can still be claimed.

8. No requests, changes, extensions, and cancellations can be made after start of Membership Holiday.

9. No Marco Polo Club services or benefits are applicable during Membership Holiday period.

10. Accrual of club points not possible for flights taken during Membership Holiday period (whilst there is no impact on Asia Miles accrual or redemption).

11. Additional Membership Holiday(s) can be requested (even during the holiday period) as long as the periods do not overlap.
After speaking to the agent yesterday it seems like the restriction on "No requests, changes, extensions, and cancellations can be made after start of Membership Holiday." is due to system limitation. Once you're out...you're out.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

1. My year end is 31/08

I'm a bit confused. If one can request a membership holiday to be shorter than a full year, and the membership expiration month does not change (just gets rolled over to the next calendar year), does that mean one can theoretically have a period longer than 12~13 months to renew or upgrade their tier (e. g., 18 months to earn club points if membership holiday is only 6 months)?
Old May 9, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I'm a bit confused. If one can request a membership holiday to be shorter than a full year, and the membership expiration month does not change (just gets rolled over to the next calendar year), does that mean one can theoretically have a period longer than 12~13 months to renew or upgrade their tier (e. g., 18 months to earn club points if membership holiday is only 6 months)?
For me all it was that the anniversary rollover date dd not change when I went each holiday. So once the holiday ended if I had been 3 months into the year then once the holiday ended I had 9 months to renew.

So I guess by the same principle if I went on the holiday 8 months into the membership year then once over there would only be 4 months to earn all the tier points to get back status. This is how the MPC rep explained it to me and appeared to have worked in practice.

So sadly no 12+ month holidays
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
For me all it was that the anniversary rollover date dd not change when I went each holiday. So once the holiday ended if I had been 3 months into the year then once the holiday ended I had 9 months to renew.

So I guess by the same principle if I went on the holiday 8 months into the membership year then once over there would only be 4 months to earn all the tier points to get back status. This is how the MPC rep explained it to me and appeared to have worked in practice.

So sadly no 12+ month holidays
Understand, thanks!
Old May 11, 2020, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

So I decided to make a last appeal...basically pointing out that if members are allowed to exit the Membership Holiday midway, it would ultimately be beneficial for the airline because it will sway members to fly on CX. (of course this may not be the case for majority of members based in HK)

this is what I got in the reply.

Overall our membership holiday terms and conditions have generally been quite well received by members, as unlike other loyalty programs our members may take a ‘break’ for any reason. It may for job relocation, health, paternal reasons, we’ve not discriminated or asked members to quantify their reasons to ensure it’s fair to all and the differing circumstances. However we do request that they commit to the time frame.
Old May 11, 2020, 8:02 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
How about just ride it out and see where everything falls? If the situation continues as it currently is, I would expect that there is going to be more official, or unofficial relief. We have seen CX in the past give very generous extensions to people who have missed the mark by a large margin, and there are going to be a lot of people in your situation.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
How about just ride it out and see where everything falls? If the situation continues as it currently is, I would expect that there is going to be more official, or unofficial relief. We have seen CX in the past give very generous extensions to people who have missed the mark by a large margin, and there are going to be a lot of people in your situation.
maybe i should just do that. Philippine government just extended our lockdown till end of May...and no clear sign as to when citizens will be allowed to travel. Hopefully the local CX team will be able to do something about it when the time comes.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: CX MPC DM, HU FWC Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
I can tell you that's not the case this time
I ask for how did they deal with my situation (1000cp MPC GO exp: June 2020) and they said I will have 3 months more to get 200 cp for an upgrade.
I do point out I canceled 320 cp trips due to COVID-19 from Feb to Apr, and they said giving out a 1year extension for my GO membership after expiration.

It seems after they decided to extend the membership for part of their MPC members, being generous is not the case.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by boybi
I just renewed silver last 31 March. I think I won’t be able to fly for the rest of the year due to the different entry restrictions in each country. Should I apply for membership holiday?

Please do not. If you apply for membership holiday, you will be unable to enjoy free automatic renewal. Extension of status due to COVID-19 will be covering members due for renewal from Jan to Apr 2021.

News from reliable source. It will be announced soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.