Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

JFK-YVR Flights - 18 Feb discontinued

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-YVR Flights - 18 Feb discontinued

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Originally Posted by percysmith
why not?

per CX CoC 10.2.2.2, BA can’t charge you more miles for rerouting.

didnt you only go on the fifth freedom for the F experience?
A combination of reasons but actually mostly the time and directness of the flights!

JFK-YVR was business class which I was looking forward to but done before, although timed great for an after work flight. The return overnight YVR-JFK was Premium Economy. To fly VYR-HKG-JFK instead of YVR-JFK I would have to take two additional days off work.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I just got an email that I was rebooked on a CX845 JFK HKG non stop for one day later, March 2.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:20 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
cathay rebooked me on Z class on AC
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by hl176; Feb 15, 2020 at 4:27 pm Reason: wrong info
Old Feb 15, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by hl176
cathay rebooked me on Z class on AC
Make sure you enter your Aeroplan# or Star Alliance frequent flyer number when checking in online so that you get mileage credit.

As AC now uses Amadeus, the confirmation number is that as that of CX for OLCI.
hl176 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:14 pm

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
Make sure you enter your Aeroplan# or Star Alliance frequent flyer number when checking in online so that you get mileage credit.

As AC now uses Amadeus, the confirmation number is that as that of CX for OLCI.
Thanks

Will I be able to credit to CX or only the AC routes that are codeshared with CX are able to be

I have no idea why but CX has been exceptionally kind with me for the past two years or so.

I never send in complaint emails or file any complaints, but when I send in emails, they're just emails for clarification or inquiry and always in a courteous manner but they will always send me extra AM as a 'goodwill gesture' even though it's completely unnecessary and unexpected.

In the case with this booking, it was a U class redemption and they originally said they can only protect me on AC if they have award availability otherwise they would refund me. I asked if AA through LAX is an option as well as other airline options and they said no, AC only. Then I asked if they could waitlist me in the event a seat opens up and they said unfortunately, that's also not possible. They then suggested JFK-HKG-YVR but there's no way I'm flying that much and it'll be a hassle for me when I come back and my schedule doesn't work. So for my last option, I asked if they are able to route me through YYZ on AC and she said she'll check with her supervisor. After a minute holding, she comes back and says they have a seat for me on AC549 direct EWR to YVR so I asked, is this a waitlist or is it confirmed. She said confirmed and I will be receiving an email shortly. Checked the email and it's in Z class, very nice of CX to put me in a revenue booking when I was on an AM redemption. Plus, my hold time when I phoned in was probably about two or three minutes.

With that said, since it was originally an award booking and even though the rebooking is in a revenue subfare, will there be a notation on the ticket that will prevent me from collecting mileage?

Last edited by hl176; Feb 16, 2020 at 3:27 pm
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by hl176
Thanks

With that said, since it was originally an award booking and even though the rebooking is in a revenue subfare, will there be a notation on the ticket that will prevent me from collecting mileage?
Not likely. All AC see's on their end is that you are in "Z" class (unless someone manually goes through all the e-ticket records and look at the fare basis).

You can't get CX credit on this route (AC EWR-YVR) as it is not one of the routes that CX has an agreement with AC for reciprocal FF earning. However, you can get miles for AC or other *A partners.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:53 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
Originally Posted by MKBshaw
Also wondering if CX888 will continue to operate at the same time HKG-YVR or if they will change it.
It seems that CX has changed flights to YVR to One flight a Day. I was on CX888 from HKG - YVR departing March 4 but they cancelled and put me on CX838 departing March 4. I ended up rescheduling my whole trip. Weird cause I read somewhere that CX was increasing flights to YVR to 2 a day. Mind you CX838 Seems to be operating on a J/PE/Econ Layout (no first). Bummed cause I was hoping to use a midtier upgrade to F for this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:52 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by OneWorldLoyalist
It seems that CX has changed flights to YVR to One flight a Day. I was on CX888 from HKG - YVR departing March 4 but they cancelled and put me on CX838 departing March 4. I ended up rescheduling my whole trip. Weird cause I read somewhere that CX was increasing flights to YVR to 2 a day. Mind you CX838 Seems to be operating on a J/PE/Econ Layout (no first). Bummed cause I was hoping to use a midtier upgrade to F for this.
Wow. YVR uncle missed the F axe by a whisker. He's coming back on March 5 but I suppose the inbound aircraft (post February 23) is also March 5.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: QF
Yeah, they ended up cancelling both in (888) and outbound (865) for March 1-11, so now I'm March 4-14. I'm connecting from DPS and they only fly 1x daily, so have to take the red-eye or end up with a 14+ hr layover both ways. I also thought they were increasing flights for Feb and leaving the same for March, so was a bit surprised. Judging by how in-flight service is being altered to deal with the virus, I would save the points and pitch your F upgrade when this all subsides.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Just as an update on my end:
I'm putting in a compensation request (in writing) with AS today and I'll be following up with CX shortly. My position is that AS "owns" it because of their refusal to transfer ticket control to CX for reaccommodation, but I expect to get bounced to CX from them.

All of this is, ultimately, probably just prelude to going to the CTA with a complaint for APPR compensation under either the letter of the law or both airlines' (probably bungled) contracts of carriage.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Feb 18, 2020 at 10:44 am
Old Feb 18, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
I am not sure what state of mind I was to book my trip via expedia, but there is nothing but problems with the reroute. I was scheduled to fly JFK-YVR, stopover, YVR-HKG, stopover, HKG-HAN with long-hauls in F. CX cancelled JFK-YVR and put me on a YVR-HKG-HAN flights completely ignoring the JFK-YVR sector. Before contacting expedia I tried my luck with CX twitter team, who offered JFK-HKG-HAN and have put a couple of sectors in my booking as waitlisted (TA booking!). Now expedia are being absolutely useless - getting anyone who are capable of listening to what you want is next to impossible. Their twitter team are a tad better - and you can put your request in writing, which helps. Now I am after a number of calls where the agents claim that CX refuses to re-route me from JFK to YVR on AA. They claim the only options are direct flight JFK-HKG or a refund. Lesson learnt to never book with OTAs...
I'm toying with the idea of rocking up at JFK for my JFK-YVR flight and making it CX's problem then and there.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by ccars2
As it were, the AM rep on the phone today said that the rebook into the AC EWR-YVR and return flights was approved. I'm awaiting a confirmation email.
How long did it take for them to issue you the next tickets? I spoke with CX on Monday, they approved rebooking on AC from EWR to YVR on March 18 and they emailed itinerary but no ticket reissued yet. I called again and they said that they are processing it and backlogged but curious what waiting times in this regard are. Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:32 pm

Wow. YVR uncle missed the F axe by a whisker. He's coming back on March 5 but I suppose the inbound aircraft (post February 23) is also March 5.
Damn. Uncle's CX865 YVR-HKG downgauged from 77H --> 35G this morn.
He was auto-rebooked for the same flight in J but he wants to stay for a couple more weeks anyway.

He's on a redemption F one-way tix, ticketed last December
I examined three options:

1. 20 Mar is still a 77H but multiple agents cannot book or even waitlist on it. I wrote that off, I think the F cabin will be a "First Cabin operated as Business" even it it does fly out as a 77H.

2. 21 Mar and 23 Mar are still operating 77H.
But I can only waitlist - availability is F0 (even though on 23 Mar seat map there's at least two seats)
I reckon CX is still making a decision on whether to operate F that day so is zeroing out the F cabin for now. I have to wait until F>0 to rebook him - have my EF set to notify me of that (even if the waitlist doesn't auto-clear).

3. 21 Mar J redemption is wide open if F doesn't operate.
MKBshaw likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
My JFK-YVR ticket booked on Avios in F got cancelled. BA says all they can offer is a refund. CX says it's BA's problem. Off to the CTA we go!
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:28 pm

2. 21 Mar and 23 Mar are still operating 77H.
But I can only waitlist - availability is F0 (even though on 23 Mar seat map there's at least two seats)
I reckon CX is still making a decision on whether to operate F that day so is zeroing out the F cabin for now. I have to wait until F>0 to rebook him - have my EF set to notify me of that (even if the waitlist doesn't auto-clear).
Uncle wanted to move to 15 Mar

Agent told me 15 Mar was also slated for F cancellation
But agreed to ask supervisor whether Uncle could be ”protected” on 14 Mar, which was originally F0 also

Supervisor agreed and we did a free rebooking
But no seat for Auntie (who still in 5 Mar J). Gonna have to wait that one out.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 23, 2020 at 6:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.