Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I wonder can they get furloughed FAs to staff the GCC in the meantime?

But I guess it's not so much an issue of manpower (we can still by and large get to work) but more like a shortage of desk space, phone units and (ahem, CX IT again) computer terminals.

and training... an FA can’t walk into a call centre and start dealing with ticketing, rerouting etc.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by shmuey
Anyone booked on IAD flights through HKG and had a cancellation?
We are due to fly CX861 IAD - HKG for the first leg of our honeymoon to DPS on March 14 on AA business award tickets.
When I called AA, they basically said nothing can be done until/if the flight is canceled by CX.
I was hoping we could redirect somewhere else but was told nothing was available in business on partner airlines and any other change would require a fee since CX has not canceled.
FYI I am AA Gold.
According to the CX Flight timetable - CX861 IAD - HKG will be operating on 11/13/14 March
The timetable seems to be updated as there are no flights to/from EWR at all.
You'll just have to wait till CX gets to your booking if there are any changes/canx.
My booking was revised 4 days after the emails went out last Fri.

Where exactly would you like to be re-directed to?

CX888 will be cancelled as well right ?
[/QUOTE]

As it stands, (most of?) the JFK flights are still operating - I'm no expert on CX schedules but it seems like the plan is to re-book all pax onto the JFK route
CX 888
CX 830
CX 840
CX 846
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I wonder can they get furloughed FAs to staff the GCC in the meantime?

But I guess it's not so much an issue of manpower (we can still by and large get to work) but more like a shortage of desk space, phone units and (ahem, CX IT again) computer terminals.
you know how to work a reservation system?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by londonexpert
you know how to work a reservation system?
I had an internship at a large airline during high school, and was fully competent on their reservation system by day 2. They were surprised that I knew 99% of their airport codes though (apparently this is a bottleneck for many).
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I had an internship at a large airline during high school, and was fully competent on their reservation system by day 2. They were surprised that I knew 99% of their airport codes though (apparently this is a bottleneck for many).
did u have to deal with angry pax and rerouting s and cancellation?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by londonexpert
did u have to deal with angry pax and rerouting s and cancellation?
I didn't have to interact with customers until week three. I think they wanted to get a better sense of how I reacted under pressure before throwing me into the lion's den.
SW7London and NetJets Germany like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76
According to the CX Flight timetable - CX861 IAD - HKG will be operating on 11/13/14 March
The timetable seems to be updated as there are no flights to/from EWR at all.
You'll just have to wait till CX gets to your booking if there are any changes/canx.
My booking was revised 4 days after the emails went out last Fri.

Where exactly would you like to be re-directed to?

CX888 will be cancelled as well right ?

I was hoping we could be booked on a partner flight, either Qatar, Japan or Malaysia. I received an email overnght saying the IAD flight is canceled and that I'll be receiving an update itinerary within 36 hours. If we do have to leave from JFK, I really hope they include an AA segment from DCA. Getting up there in rush hour by car will really suck.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I didn't have to interact with customers until week three. I think they wanted to get a better sense of how I reacted under pressure before throwing me into the lion's den.
I read the manuals beforehand and was able to use Abacus and Amadeus pretty much the first day, but I'm sure we are not the norm. Most of my classmates still struggle after several days. Making reservation is easy, but I think re-accommodating pax from canx flights is a much more complicated task.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Looks like the cancellations are starting to hit the Asian flights.

I rescheduled for a week later on the waiver, they just notified me that my rescheduled flight to HKG has been cancelled and rebooked me on the flight I wanted to be on anyway. We'll see if that holds; they're cutting at least 50% of the flights to/from Bangkok based on the graphic in the SCMP.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:18 pm

The company should pay FT for having accelerated your education!
moondog and OneWorldLoyalist like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
I feel that CX is really getting into the groove of the flight cancellations now. It is unlikely they are able to do every cancellation at once and it seems they are rolling out the changes now. I received notification of a flight cancellation to Phuket for March today.
I have flights CMB-HKG-SUB-HKG-CMB-HKG-DPS starting end Feb. Does it mean that my flights are “safe” since until now I haven’t heard of any cancellation, and the flights remain bookable online?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:22 am

Cant say I've had a good experience so far this AM. Spent 1.5hrs on hold with CX to finally get connected (even though for some reason the audio feed kept dropping) to get told my HKG to DPS flight is still booked but they will do nothing to get me to HKG, even tho the IAD flight is canceled. I mentioned the email I received saying I would be rebooked on a domestic partner flight to another CX flight (assuming JFK) within 36hrs...the CSR said this was a stock email and didn't apply to me, and I was told to call AA since it was a redemption through them, but AA intially told me that CX has to manage the booking.

And now I'm back on hold with AA. Really hoping my honeymoon doesn't get canceled :-(
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by shmuey
Cant say I've had a good experience so far this AM. Spent 1.5hrs on hold with CX to finally get connected (even though for some reason the audio feed kept dropping) to get told my HKG to DPS flight is still booked but they will do nothing to get me to HKG, even tho the IAD flight is canceled. I mentioned the email I received saying I would be rebooked on a domestic partner flight to another CX flight (assuming JFK) within 36hrs...the CSR said this was a stock email and didn't apply to me, and I was told to call AA since it was a redemption through them, but AA intially told me that CX has to manage the booking.

And now I'm back on hold with AA. Really hoping my honeymoon doesn't get canceled :-(
I am booked through Asia Miles and I have been rebooked on CX and Delta from HKG to LAX to DCA on 3/24. This occurred about 24 hours after I got the email notification you reference but I got no email on rerouting I think because it still isn't ticketed. Maybe they are treating tickets from other carriers differently? My advice is if you want this honeymoon to go on is to look at alternatives NOW, particularly if you have points so you can cancel easily if CX/AA comes through. I waited too long and my good alternative disappeared and there is no way I am going to take the 40 hour CX rerouting. So I am now cancelling my trip. Not looking forwarding to calling in and dealing with that.
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Feb 14, 2020 at 10:45 am
Old Feb 14, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
I'm on an LHR-SHA segment in J departing this Sunday on CX. They just cancelled KA858 HKG-SHA and rebooked me in Y on MU722 HKG-SHA. Really not happy about this...
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:26 pm

Has anyone who cancelled a flight in the last couple of weeks seen a refund yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.