Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Old Feb 12, 20, 2:29 am
  #121  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: China
Posts: 1,508
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
I wonder can they get furloughed FAs to staff the GCC in the meantime?

But I guess it's not so much an issue of manpower (we can still by and large get to work) but more like a shortage of desk space, phone units and (ahem, CX IT again) computer terminals.

and training... an FA can’t walk into a call centre and start dealing with ticketing, rerouting etc.
peasant is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:59 am
  #122  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SE ASIA
Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Posts: 573
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by shmuey View Post
Anyone booked on IAD flights through HKG and had a cancellation?
We are due to fly CX861 IAD - HKG for the first leg of our honeymoon to DPS on March 14 on AA business award tickets.
When I called AA, they basically said nothing can be done until/if the flight is canceled by CX.
I was hoping we could redirect somewhere else but was told nothing was available in business on partner airlines and any other change would require a fee since CX has not canceled.
FYI I am AA Gold.
According to the CX Flight timetable - CX861 IAD - HKG will be operating on 11/13/14 March
The timetable seems to be updated as there are no flights to/from EWR at all.
You'll just have to wait till CX gets to your booking if there are any changes/canx.
My booking was revised 4 days after the emails went out last Fri.

Where exactly would you like to be re-directed to?


CX888 will be cancelled as well right ?
[/QUOTE]

As it stands, (most of?) the JFK flights are still operating - I'm no expert on CX schedules but it seems like the plan is to re-book all pax onto the JFK route
CX 888
CX 830
CX 840
CX 846
kaffir76 is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 3:59 am
  #123  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
I wonder can they get furloughed FAs to staff the GCC in the meantime?

But I guess it's not so much an issue of manpower (we can still by and large get to work) but more like a shortage of desk space, phone units and (ahem, CX IT again) computer terminals.
you know how to work a reservation system?
londonexpert is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:03 am
  #124  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 31,136
Originally Posted by londonexpert View Post
you know how to work a reservation system?
I had an internship at a large airline during high school, and was fully competent on their reservation system by day 2. They were surprised that I knew 99% of their airport codes though (apparently this is a bottleneck for many).
moondog is online now  
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:14 am
  #125  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I had an internship at a large airline during high school, and was fully competent on their reservation system by day 2. They were surprised that I knew 99% of their airport codes though (apparently this is a bottleneck for many).
did u have to deal with angry pax and rerouting s and cancellation?
londonexpert is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:33 am
  #126  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 31,136
Originally Posted by londonexpert View Post
did u have to deal with angry pax and rerouting s and cancellation?
I didn't have to interact with customers until week three. I think they wanted to get a better sense of how I reacted under pressure before throwing me into the lion's den.
SW7London and NetJets Germany like this.
moondog is online now  
Old Feb 12, 20, 6:45 am
  #127  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
According to the CX Flight timetable - CX861 IAD - HKG will be operating on 11/13/14 March
The timetable seems to be updated as there are no flights to/from EWR at all.
You'll just have to wait till CX gets to your booking if there are any changes/canx.
My booking was revised 4 days after the emails went out last Fri.

Where exactly would you like to be re-directed to?


CX888 will be cancelled as well right ?

I was hoping we could be booked on a partner flight, either Qatar, Japan or Malaysia. I received an email overnght saying the IAD flight is canceled and that I'll be receiving an update itinerary within 36 hours. If we do have to leave from JFK, I really hope they include an AA segment from DCA. Getting up there in rush hour by car will really suck.
shmuey is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:02 pm
  #128  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE & RMQ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Posts: 4,657
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I didn't have to interact with customers until week three. I think they wanted to get a better sense of how I reacted under pressure before throwing me into the lion's den.
I read the manuals beforehand and was able to use Abacus and Amadeus pretty much the first day, but I'm sure we are not the norm. Most of my classmates still struggle after several days. Making reservation is easy, but I think re-accommodating pax from canx flights is a much more complicated task.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 6:56 pm
  #129  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Independent! But mostly BKK, BCN, SFO, PDX, SEA...
Programs: Doing it for the lie flat. Kayaker/Google Flighter, CX Silver. Going free agent in 2020
Posts: 994
Looks like the cancellations are starting to hit the Asian flights.

I rescheduled for a week later on the waiver, they just notified me that my rescheduled flight to HKG has been cancelled and rebooked me on the flight I wanted to be on anyway. We'll see if that holds; they're cutting at least 50% of the flights to/from Bangkok based on the graphic in the SCMP.
FiveMileFinal is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:18 pm
  #130  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 3,619
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
I had an internship at a large airline during high school, and was fully competent on their reservation system by day 2. They were surprised that I knew 99% of their airport codes though (apparently this is a bottleneck for many).
The company should pay FT for having accelerated your education!
moondog and OneWorldLoyalist like this.
carrotjuice is online now  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:20 pm
  #131  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 3,619
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
I feel that CX is really getting into the groove of the flight cancellations now. It is unlikely they are able to do every cancellation at once and it seems they are rolling out the changes now. I received notification of a flight cancellation to Phuket for March today.
I have flights CMB-HKG-SUB-HKG-CMB-HKG-DPS starting end Feb. Does it mean that my flights are “safe” since until now I haven’t heard of any cancellation, and the flights remain bookable online?
carrotjuice is online now  
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:22 am
  #132  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 67
Cant say I've had a good experience so far this AM. Spent 1.5hrs on hold with CX to finally get connected (even though for some reason the audio feed kept dropping) to get told my HKG to DPS flight is still booked but they will do nothing to get me to HKG, even tho the IAD flight is canceled. I mentioned the email I received saying I would be rebooked on a domestic partner flight to another CX flight (assuming JFK) within 36hrs...the CSR said this was a stock email and didn't apply to me, and I was told to call AA since it was a redemption through them, but AA intially told me that CX has to manage the booking.

And now I'm back on hold with AA. Really hoping my honeymoon doesn't get canceled :-(
shmuey is offline  
Old Feb 14, 20, 11:34 am
  #133  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 799
Originally Posted by shmuey View Post
Cant say I've had a good experience so far this AM. Spent 1.5hrs on hold with CX to finally get connected (even though for some reason the audio feed kept dropping) to get told my HKG to DPS flight is still booked but they will do nothing to get me to HKG, even tho the IAD flight is canceled. I mentioned the email I received saying I would be rebooked on a domestic partner flight to another CX flight (assuming JFK) within 36hrs...the CSR said this was a stock email and didn't apply to me, and I was told to call AA since it was a redemption through them, but AA intially told me that CX has to manage the booking.

And now I'm back on hold with AA. Really hoping my honeymoon doesn't get canceled :-(
I am booked through Asia Miles and I have been rebooked on CX and Delta from HKG to LAX to DCA on 3/24. This occurred about 24 hours after I got the email notification you reference but I got no email on rerouting I think because it still isn't ticketed. Maybe they are treating tickets from other carriers differently? My advice is if you want this honeymoon to go on is to look at alternatives NOW, particularly if you have points so you can cancel easily if CX/AA comes through. I waited too long and my good alternative disappeared and there is no way I am going to take the 40 hour CX rerouting. So I am now cancelling my trip. Not looking forwarding to calling in and dealing with that.
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Feb 14, 20 at 11:45 am
36902BRF is offline  
Old Feb 14, 20, 1:43 pm
  #134  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Programs: CX MPC Diamond (ow emerald), TU Miles & More elite (SA Gold), Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Posts: 112
I'm on an LHR-SHA segment in J departing this Sunday on CX. They just cancelled KA858 HKG-SHA and rebooked me in Y on MU722 HKG-SHA. Really not happy about this...
cmiller11101 is offline  
Old Feb 14, 20, 3:26 pm
  #135  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 39
Has anyone who cancelled a flight in the last couple of weeks seen a refund yet?
pedanticus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: