Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
It seems codeshares are showing cancelled on EF before CX actually cancels the flights. At least that the case with my 2 CGK legs, AA codeshare is cancelled but the CX is just zeroed out. I wish they'd just cancel these and not leave us hanging.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Data point. I called the USA number yesterday. Was on hold for 40 minutes. Was offered a refund of Asia miles used for the ticket for $120. Was told I would be called back for credit card processing. Not call 24 hours later.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by nydave11
Data point. I called the USA number yesterday. Was on hold for 40 minutes. Was offered a refund of Asia miles used for the ticket for $120. Was told I would be called back for credit card processing. Not call 24 hours later.
They aren't the best at calling back at the best of times. When I rebooked a flight because of their schedule reduction late last year, I had to call them after several days and get it done because they never called me back like they said. I imagine it is much worse now. Also as FYI that is their standard cancellation policy for AM if I recall correctly. For some it might be better to use AM points to pay the cancellation fee as that might avoid having to deal with chasing them down to pay the fee later on.

Last edited by 36902BRF; Feb 10, 2020 at 1:19 pm
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:40 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by Rukes
Just a reminder that there are multiple offices to try. When I tried the US office this weekend, there was a long hold, but I decided to call the Hong Kong one via Skype and got an agent in 5 minutes.
Is there a way you can do this without using Skype credits?

I seem to recall there used to be a way to call the international worldwide toll-free number using Skype (or was it Google Hangouts?) but I can't seem to figure it out and Skype keeps telling me that my number is invalid.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:04 pm

Four days after getting the email advising that my rebooking would be done within 24 hours...nothing. Tweeters unanswered.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CLT
Is there a way you can do this without using Skype credits?

I seem to recall there used to be a way to call the international worldwide toll-free number using Skype (or was it Google Hangouts?) but I can't seem to figure it out and Skype keeps telling me that my number is invalid.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post31891921
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: QF
Does anybody know if they are rebooking on other carriers?
I am booked to fly DPS-HKG-TPE return, however Taiwan has now included transit passengers in quarantine restrictions. Happy to re route or should i look at re booking myself and getting a refund? Note booked in J
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:31 am

If it’s quarantine, it’s force majeure, so rebooking obligations don’t apply and you’re on your own to refund and rebook alternate itinerary.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
CX will not reroute. Period.

You need to apply for cancel/refund of the CX ticket and book new tickets on your own.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:35 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Due to fly BKK=HKG-LGW in less than 24hours and just had a SMS to say HKG-LGW is cancelled. It says "Your new flight rearrangement is in progress." I assume this will be switched to LHR. I would have more sympathy with CX on this if it wasn't for commercial reasons and they gave me more than a days notice.

Given the amount of issues going on with CX at the moment, and the timescale, I am concerned. Does anyone know how long this reassignment usually takes? When should I consider calling them? Is there a number from Thailand to call from?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by PxC; Feb 11, 2020 at 5:41 am
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PxC
Due to fly BKK=HKG-LGW in less than 24hours and just had a SMS to say HKG-LGW is cancelled. It says "Your new flight rearrangement is in progress." I assume this will be switched to LHR. I would have more sympathy with CX on this if it wasn't for commercial reasons and they gave me more than a days notice.

Given the amount of issues going on with CX at the moment, and the timescale, I am concerned. Does anyone know how long this reassignment usually takes? When should I consider calling them? Is there a number from Thailand to call from?

Thanks for any help
Oh wow. If they really are doing the route drop cancellations in this manner there will be huge amount of really angry people. I have already made (cancellable) alternative arrangements for my itins that are pulled from sale and zeroed out but if I can't cancel the CX itin before the day of departure when they decide to officially cancel the zeroed out leg it makes cancelling even flexible backups booked with Avios pretty much impossible.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:31 am

Thailand 02 787 3366

i assume you want to know which flight you’ll be rebooked on and make sure it’s the shortest layover you can have.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:39 am
PxC

Originally Posted by percysmith
Thailand 02 787 3366

i assume you want to know which flight you’ll be rebooked on and make sure it’s the shortest layover you can have.
yes, there is two HKG-LHR within two hours of each other and both reasonable for a connect time. More selfishly, I am BA silver and want to snag the available bulkhead window seats which makes flying Y considerably more comfortable Thanks for the phone number
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Cathay FINALLY cancelled the Newark flights today, after the email Friday morning promising it would be done within 24 hours. However, I'm still waiting for them to call me for credit card info to redo the taxes and fees since I also switched from a cancelled HKG-ADL to HKG-MEL (instead of being accommodated a day later to ADL). Been 2 days already. So my ticket is just sitting as confirmed but not ticketed.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:51 am
PxC

Originally Posted by PxC
yes, there is two HKG-LHR within two hours of each other and both reasonable for a connect time. More selfishly, I am BA silver and want to snag the available bulkhead window seats which makes flying Y considerably more comfortable Thanks for the phone number
They've changed me to the same flight, 24hours later which doesn't work at all.
I've DM'd their twitter and trying the call centre, if all fails what are my rights for cancelling (is it possible, is it half of the original fare given I'm flying the return, and how late can I do it? As I can just book a reward booking with BA if needs be, as I have to be home. Thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.