Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: AAdavantage Member
Has anyone had any luck with CX rebooking them on a different airline? With my family’s flight to Davao and the ban, I feel like the only options are cancel or hope they can rebook as on PAL.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:05 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Notified that my HKG-LGW flight was cancelled for next week and I was going to be moved to an LHR flight within 24h on manage my booking.

Its been about 36 hours now any ideas if/when they’ll actually update this? Doubt I’ll be able to get a good seat and I have an onward connection (separate tickets) with BA that I’ll need to move.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Snorkel 378 TH
Has anyone had any luck with CX rebooking them on a different airline? With my family’s flight to Davao and the ban, I feel like the only options are cancel or hope they can rebook as on PAL.
Under the current CX policy/waiver you are not allowed to reroute/rebook to other carrier. You would need to cancel/full refund and book a new ticket on your own to your destination.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:46 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Snorkel 378 TH
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Under the current CX policy/waiver you are not allowed to reroute/rebook to other carrier. You would need to cancel/full refund and book a new ticket on your own to your destination.
I read on another forum a few days ago one person got rebooked by CX to MU, but I don't know how accurate it is.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:19 am

I was just informed by email that my CX825 flight has been changed to CX829. That's YYZ-HKG, 01:15 departure instead of 14:10 departure. I anticipated this. The email is worded in such as a way as to avoid saying that CX825 was cancelled. It's a "flight rearrangement", and my "flight CX825 has been rebooked to flight CX829." Anyhow, I'm going to cancel this booking and opt for a refund. Prior to today I could cancel online and receive a refund less a $200/person cancellation fee. When I log in now and attempt to cancel it doesn't tell me what the refund will be (full or less $200 or something else entirely). I'm hesitant to click the cancel button online without having a full understanding of what sort of refund I'll be receiving, so I plan to call in and work through this with a customer service representative.

Am I entitled to a full refund, or to the fare less $200? Does article 10.2 of the conditions of carriage apply, or is this not deemed a cancellation of the flight?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by pedanticus
I was just informed by email that my CX825 flight has been changed to CX829. That's YYZ-HKG, 01:15 departure instead of 14:10 departure. I anticipated this. The email is worded in such as a way as to avoid saying that CX825 was cancelled. It's a "flight rearrangement", and my "flight CX825 has been rebooked to flight CX829." Anyhow, I'm going to cancel this booking and opt for a refund. Prior to today I could cancel online and receive a refund less a $200/person cancellation fee. When I log in now and attempt to cancel it doesn't tell me what the refund will be (full or less $200 or something else entirely). I'm hesitant to click the cancel button online without having a full understanding of what sort of refund I'll be receiving, so I plan to call in and work through this with a customer service representative.

Am I entitled to a full refund, or to the fare less $200? Does article 10.2 of the conditions of carriage apply, or is this not deemed a cancellation of the flight?
I just got the same email for my mid-March CX825 flight too. On my manage booking flight it says my flight is "cancelled" I took a screenshot of it just in case the agents argue about this. In my opinion you/we should be entitled to a FULL refund no questions asked under the terms of the GCOC. As I posted previously, since I booked a Air & Hotel package I have to wait until tomorrow to call in to speak to an agent to request my refund. I couldn't do mine online.

10.1.2 Before we accept your booking, we will notify you of the scheduled flight
time in effect as of that time, and it will be shown on your Ticket. It is
possible we may need to change the scheduled flight time subsequent to
issuance of your Ticket. If you provide us with contact information, we
will endeavour to notify you of any such changes. If, after you purchase
your Ticket, we make a significant change to the scheduled flight time,
which is not acceptable to you, and we are unable to book you on an
alternate flight which is acceptable to you, you will be entitled to a refund
in accordance with Article 11.

Last edited by Eagle2000; Feb 9, 2020 at 8:31 am Reason: add info
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by eagle215
I just got the same email for my mid-March CX825 flight too. On my manage booking flight it says my flight is "cancelled" I took a screenshot of it just in case the agents argue about this. In my opinion you/we should be entitled to a FULL refund no questions asked under the terms of the GCOC. As I posted previously, since I booked a Air & Hotel package I have to wait until tomorrow to call in to speak to an agent to request my refund. I couldn't do mine online.
Good idea! I'll let you know what happens with mine. Please do the same. I may try calling the HK number later today if I find the time.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:30 am

Ugh, hung up on after 40 minutes on hold.

Called again and got hung up on after 55 minutes on hold.

I've cancelled my booking online through the "manage booking" function. No indication of how much they'll be refunding, but they advise it'll take up to six weeks to process the refund because of a "recent surge in refund requests". Of course they'll take my money immediately when I book a flight.
Kacee, 36902BRF, Eagle2000 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by pedanticus; Feb 9, 2020 at 3:15 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
I have an award ticket booked JFK-HKG-BKK booked using a transfer of points from AMEX for Feb 19. At his point I am looking to cancel. Does anyone know what happens in this case? Will I receive Asia miles back or will they just offer to change the ticket dates? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by nydave11
I have an award ticket booked JFK-HKG-BKK booked using a transfer of points from AMEX for Feb 19. At his point I am looking to cancel. Does anyone know what happens in this case? Will I receive Asia miles back or will they just offer to change the ticket dates? Thanks in advance.
Worst case unless you are covered by a waiver or they take pity on you it is a $120 fee or 12,000 Asia Miles to cancel. You should get your points back but note if you transferred them prior to 1/1/20 they *may* be restored with their original "hard expiration date". Which means that they are valid more or less three years from when you transferred from Amex. It is possible however that refunded miles may take on the new post 1/1/20 soft expiration policy. I have seen no data points yet on what happens in this regard.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: Air Krapistan Poop Points "Scooper Level"
Thank you so much for the quick replay. Getting comfy for my multiple hours on hold.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:49 pm

Just got an email from Cathay that my Sunday 3/22 TLV - HKG flight has been "rebooked" to one day earlier Saturday, which doesn't work for me. My problem is that the second leg of my flight - HKG - YVR - JFK on 3/26 is still confirmed, though I know from previous posts that this will also be rebooked. Not sure what my options are - I tried calling Cathay but couldn't get through. There were also no other options offered online. I think I will look into other non Cathay alternatives and then cancel - hopefully for a full refund - if I find something else that works. What a mess...
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does anyone have any solid info if these rebookings entitle us for full refund?

I'm seeing CX796 and CX793 (the overnights to and from CGK) zeroed out mid March and I'm currently the only one in the J cabins so they will quite surely get cancelled. My original booking is CGK-HKG-CTS return and the problem is when those overnights from CGK get cancelled it will be impossible to get to CTS without an overnight at HKG in both directions which would pretty much force me to enter the country. I'm not too worried by the virus aspect of it but with all the travel restrictions I don't want to risk my future travels by entering HKG.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: CX Gold
I have had a redemption booking on CX143 HKG-PER in late March. This disappeared straight away from the online reservation system after the service reduction was announced, so I contacted customer services on Twitter as usually they are very good. This time, however, they did not seem to understand the problem, as they simply said that they could see my flight in the booking and that it was confirmed. I tried again, but they offered to email me my itinerary (of which I can obviously access online in my account). I sent a message back with a screenshot showing the absence of the flight on the online reservation system, but have not heard back yet.

This morning I received a rebooking email, saying I am moved to CX171, which is about six hours earlier than CX143 (the red eye). No big deal; just need to take an extra day off work and also spend one extra night on the ground.

Whilst I know CX's CS is busy, I think it is better to tell your customers to at least look out for updates or similar as the original flight might be cancelled in this case, as opposed to saying everything is fine.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Just a reminder that there are multiple offices to try. When I tried the US office this weekend, there was a long hold, but I decided to call the Hong Kong one via Skype and got an agent in 5 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.