Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:26 am

Yes, my mistake...it is a 350-900.
24 hours after the email (“within 24 hours the changes will be made”) still no update to my itinerary. I guess they must be doing it in date order but it’s a PITA to have to check, repeatedly.
Originally Posted by kaffir76
CX890 is operated on the A35K? It was the 359 last month when I traveled.
I'm taking this flight again at the end of the month, & I got the email too that I'll be re-routed to JFK instead.
I'd postpone or cancel the trip if I could .. but I can't
Will post an update when I get the revised itinerary ..
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by tentseller
If 825 is cancelled they will automatically rebook to 829. You can try to get a refund if you can make a case that 829 will not work for you.
So If Cathay cancelled the flight, I would have to justify why I want to cancel ? Shouldn't that just be an automatic option since Cathay cancelled the flight under the terms of the GCOC and not up to Cathay to dictate? I'm just stating that I shouldn't be require to justify a refund option. Is that your experience Tentseller? If so that's garbage.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
ugh hkg-ord for march 5th seems to be cancelled and I have now been on hold for 1 hours with CX I give up. I assume at some point they will email me.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
My friend's flight to JNB has been canceled, he was accommodated on a flight the day before.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by eagle215
So If Cathay cancelled the flight, I would have to justify why I want to cancel ? Shouldn't that just be an automatic option since Cathay cancelled the flight under the terms of the GCOC and not up to Cathay to dictate? I'm just stating that I shouldn't be require to justify a refund option. Is that your experience Tentseller? If so that's garbage.
CX's general policy is that if a flight is cancelled you can get free refund, although I'm not sure if it's technically in the COC.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
So I just got text from CX and my flight LAX-HKG-SYD in late Fed were canceled and I was rebooked on flights one day earlier.
I don't like the flights because I will get to SYD late. There are flights I can get there earlier during the day that is my preference.
I haven't confirmed the new flights online yet.
Does CX let me rebook the flights I want without fee and fare difference?
Do I need to call CX if I want to do that or I can do that online?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC
Here are the most relevant sections of the Cathay CoC for cancellations and refunds.

10.2 CANCELLATION, REROUTING, DELAYS, ETC.
10.2.1 We will take all necessary measures to avoid delay in carrying you and your Baggage. In the exercise of these measures and in order to prevent a flight cancellation, in exceptional circumstances, we may arrange for a flight to be operated on our behalf by an alternative carrier and/or
aircraft.
10.2.2 Except as otherwise provided by the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention or applicable law, if we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule, fail to stop at your destination or Stopover destination, or cause you to miss a connecting flight on which
you hold a confirmed reservation, we shall, at your option, either:
10.2.2.1 carry you at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available without additional charges and; where necessary, extend the validity of your Ticket; or
10.2.2.2 within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another Carrier, or by other mutually agreed means and class of transportation without additional Charge. If the fare, and charges for the revised routing are lower than what you have paid, we shall refund the difference;
10.2.2.3 or make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 11;
and

11.2 INVOLUNTARY REFUNDS
If we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to schedule, fail to stop at your final destination or Stopover, or cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a reservation, the amount of the refund shall, except where 11.2.4 applies, be:
11.2.1 if no portion of the Ticket has been used, an amount equal to the fare paid;
11.2.2 if a portion of the Ticket has been used, the refund will be not less than the difference between the fare paid and the applicable fare for travel between the points for which the Ticket has been used.
11.2.3 Upon acceptance of a refund by the Passenger on the purchase of a ticket under these circumstances, we shall be released from any further liability.
11.2.4 Where EC Regulation 261/2004 applies to your ticket, you may in some limited circumstances be entitled to a refund of the whole of your ticket at the price you paid for it even if you have used one or more portions of it.
You should refer to our Rules for Denied Boarding, Cancellation and Long Delays under this EC Regulation which explain your rights in full.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
On hold for about an hour and switched from EWR to JFK for a March flight. The process was smooth but I wish CX N.A. has a call back system.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
I booked CX 885 LAX to HKG (gets in at 19:05 the 25th) then CX 795 HKG to CPT (00:10 26th). 5 hour layover but with lounge access doable. Now CX 885 is canceled, and I was rebooked on CX 881 on Sunday the 23rd, getting in at 7:20 AM the 25th, giving me a 17 hour layover. I'm wondering if the CPT might get hit next since the load is pretty light (i'm in PE and the seatmap shows most seats open , so thinking of seeing if they can do LAX - HKG - JNB - CPT and get in a day earlier. I'm guessing JNB is more of a priority than CPT/less chance of being canceled?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:01 pm

My husband & I are currently in the middle of a DONE4 RTW. We purchased the tickets through JAL & started our travel in NRT. One of our flight was scheduled on 22 march SEA-HKG-BKK with Cathay Pacific CX857. Last week in anticipation of that flight potentially getting cancelled or potential restrictions put on passengers transiting through Hong Kong, I called JAL to change our flight so we can route SEA-NRT-BKK with JAL instead. I was put on hold for quite a while. When the agent came back she said that although seats were available, they were not open at this time for RTW tickets. She said to try again closer to the date of the flight.

Now the 22 March CX857 has been officially cancelled (I just received an email from Cathay). They have rebooked us on the 21 March CX857 for the time being. No telling if that one will also be cancelled eventually. I have not accepted the change yet as I want to keep the option of changing the flight.

We have to fly through the Pacific as we flew through the Atlantic at the beginning of our trip. The only routes available to Bangkok with Oneworld are through Hong Kong or Tokyo. Also refunds are not an option here as this is only 2 segments out of a total of 13 on the tickets.

In the event that all Cathay flights from SEA-HKG-BKK get cancelled or that Thailand issues a restrictions for passengers transiting through Hong Kong, would JAL have a responsibility to get us to our destination since I bought the ticket through them?

On a RTW ticket are we allowed to transit through the departure city? I know I could not do a stopover but this would only be a 2hrs transit (SEA-NRT-BKK) if seats open for RTW.

FYI, I checked on the RTW Oneworld & the flight we want is not available anymore on the 21 or 22 March for RTW but I see it is available on 23 March. I'm thinking of calling JAL first thing in the morning on Monday to ask that they change our booking for 23 March through JAL. Just trying to be as prepared as possible with any information/suggestions/tips any of you can give me. It would be really appreciated.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Bonvoy
Unacceptable rebooking

I received an email from Cathay this morning telling me they had rebooked my Sunday 8-March 06:30AM departure to 24 hours earlier on Saturday March 7 at 06:30 AM. I have a major commitment on Saturday March 7 and cannot leave 24 hours earlier. Also, the new itinerary has a 14 hour, 42 minute layover at SFO. Here are my original and rebooked itineraries:

Original:
Sun 08 Mar/Mon 09 Mar 2020
CX7927: DEP SAN 06:30 - ARR SFO 08:13
CX879: DEP SFO 12:15 - ARR HKG 18:45+1 day
CX757: DEP HKG 20:25 - ARR BKK 22:35

Rebooked:
Sat 07 Mar/Sun 08 Mar 2020
CX7927: DEP SAN 06:30 - ARR SFO 08:13
14 hour, 42 minute layover
CX873: DEP SFO 22:55 - ARR HKG 06:10 +1 day
CX619: DEP HKG 09:10 - ARR BKK 11:15

It's 4 weeks away still, and I don't see the virus situation getting better; in fact it looks like it'll be worse. So I'd like to cancel with full refund but as others have noted if I try to cancel online, the system charges me a cancellation fee.

I tried emailing using an email address that I found online and it bounced. I also have been trying to call, but the message says something like: "due to unusually high call volume, please call back later", then I get disconnected. So I went online and found a "View and Confirm" button which I'm afraid to push as I think it might mean I accept the change. Does anyone know if I push that red button does it take me to a page that allows me to reject the change and request a full refund?

There is also a "Request assistance" button, but that brings me to a page to request things like wheelchairs etc. When I push the "Cancel booking" button it brings me to a page where I can cancel, but says I am subject to the cancellation fees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:30 pm

e-mail address?

Originally Posted by flyeblee
FYI, my email today below to them and they cancel my booking. Full refund.

To:
Cathay Pacific North America Online Support Group <[email protected]>
Subject: Booking reference: XXXX

Hi

My upcoming travel info:

Mar 16, 2020. From JFK to HKG to BKK

Mar 30, 2020 From SGN - HKG - JFK

I am asking for a full refund on this booking as Vietnam and USA have travel restrictions for any passenger transiting HKG.

Even if i can get to BKK, i will not be able to reach SGN (14 days rule).

I hope you can understand the situation. I have to cancel my hotel bookings besides this.

Hope this helps.
did this email address work for you? It's the one that I tried, but it bounced on me. I got the following reply from a bot:

"This is an unmonitored address and your email cannot be responded to or read. Please visit our website at ....should you need any assistance. Alternatively, you could contact your nearest Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon office with contacts can be found here....
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:45 pm

Pushing the "View and Confirm" button just lets you review the proposed new flights - you are not automatically committing.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by SW7London
Pushing the "View and Confirm" button just lets you review the proposed new flights - you are not automatically committing.
Thank you. I ended up waiting and after 1 hour and 48 minutes on hold, I got a very polite CX rep who gave me a 100% refund no questions asked. So I never did push the red button. As others have said, he promised 7 business days for the refund to show up.

Now I'm not sure if I want to rebook another airline into BKK or postpone my mid-March meetings in Thailand and see how things go with this virus over the next couple of weeks. The possibility of getting stuck in Asia or getting stuck in quarantine after coming home to the US is enough to make me put it off. Not to even mention the possibility of actually catching the virus from sitting in airplanes and airports for the 24 hours it takes to get there, and another 24 to get back. Thailand and in particular Bangkok will probably be affected if this gets worse. But that's all a non-CX discussion; just thinking out loud.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
So I just got text from CX and my flight LAX-HKG-SYD in late Fed were canceled and I was rebooked on flights one day earlier.
I don't like the flights because I will get to SYD late. There are flights I can get there earlier during the day that is my preference.
I haven't confirmed the new flights online yet.
Does CX let me rebook the flights I want without fee and fare difference?
Do I need to call CX if I want to do that or I can do that online?
I called CX around noon today. After I was on hold for 1 hour I finally got an agent...
I told the agent what I want and he was able to get me on the flights without any issues.
He emailed me a new itinerary so that I was able to check it before he completed the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.