Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Corona Flight Cancellation experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by percysmith
Daily Mail Australia reported WeChat post going around by Chinese students studying in Australia that if they can get to Thailand, they can apply for VOA and isolate themselves there for 14 days https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-lockdown.html

The Thai entry and exit stamps will be sufficient evidence for Australian Border Force to admit them
I didn't need to read any Wechat posts to figure out this strategy. I just finished my 14 days outside of China, so I guess I'm free to travel pretty much anywhere. The annoying thing is that clients I was planning on visiting in HK and Macau are going to work from home again next week. I also have clients in India and Vietnam, but I rarely need to visit them in person. Basically, I'm looking at spending another week in Thailand (not a horrible option), or going back to Shanghai, and hoping that HK redacts the 14 day rule. I honestly can't imagine catching covid in Shanghai these days since contact with other humans is such a rarity.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by kaffir76
Email address if anyone needs to contact AM :

[email protected]
22 February 2020
8:01 AM

Dear Mr XXX,
We are writing in relation to your Flight Award booking reference XXXX
In light of the evolving situation regarding the novel coronavirus, we regret to inform you that your upcoming flight(s) may be affected.
If you have already made changes to this Flight Award or would like to keep your flight(s), please ignore this email.
If you have any enquiry or would like to modify your flight(s), please reply to this email with the following information:
- Preferred Flight Date/ Time
- Preferred Destination
We will endeavor to get back to you in 5 days upon receipt of your reply.
You may also view the latest Special Ticketing Guidelines and travel advisory for further details.
Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. Thank you for your understanding.
Yours sincerely,
The Asia Miles Team
I received a similar email about a trip to Seoul next Wednesday. I found this pretty frustrating because it is very wishy-washy. "Your upcoming flight(s) may be affected" but if you "would like to keep your flight(s), please ignore this email."

A flight is either cancelled/rescheduled or it isn't. I don't understand why CX is telling me that something bad may happen, but at the same time I can ignore the email.

As it turns out, my flight was cancelled ~12 hours later, which calls into question why CX couldn't just tell me it was cancelled instead of sending out this (useless) Asia Miles email.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by SW7London
FYI I called the 0800 UK number this morning UK time and got through within 2 mins to cancel my ex UK trip - cheap business class airfare with £400 cancellation fee, however no questions asked when I asked and double checked I'd be getting a full refund - refund to original form payment which could take 7 business days, although confusingly he then said it could take upto 5 weeks for it to show up depending on the bank

(no biggie, its been cancelled for a full refund which is whats important to me)
FYI full refund hit my credit card today - not quite a week after I cancelled. Pretty good given the large number of refunds they know doubt are processing.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by Lewis King
Yeah usually I would, but the HK flight is the return of a HK-LHR I booked with Avios when it was half price. I was originally going to stay in Hong Kong a few days but decided against it, and moved to going straight to Singapore. Looks like I can't now anyway! Waiting on a refund of Avios, and then might cancel it all and just book LHR-SIN and suck up the £
andddd I’ve done that flying with Qantas. Managed to move hotels around and save a bunch of money too.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Had a very simple experience where a HKG-KTM segment was moved from a Friday to Saturday, needed to move it a week earlier when the Friday flight is still running (at least for the moment...). What surprises me is that it still took them ten minutes to make the change. I called at 7.30am HKT on a Sunday so got right through to the agent. No wonder the hold times are so long if such an easy transaction took so long . In the ideal world they should have really edited the website so I could do that myself. This was a Cathay ticket directly booked on their website (though origin point was KTM). So far this simple journey has been moving around a lot, but till then it was just tweaking flights as they consolidated them.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:12 pm

More cuts coming in early March.

CX872/873 which is the only remaining route operated by the 777-300ER (B77A now), will switch to the A350-1000 (A35K) but it will not operate daily.

Wonder what will happen with the 77W’s (77K and 77A).

Also YVR (838/837) and YYZ (826/829) have been operating A350’s on certain days of the week rather than the usual B77K aircraft. YVR - A359 and YYZ - Mostly A35K
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by moondog
I didn't need to read any Wechat posts to figure out this strategy. I just finished my 14 days outside of China, so I guess I'm free to travel pretty much anywhere. The annoying thing is that clients I was planning on visiting in HK and Macau are going to work from home again next week. I also have clients in India and Vietnam, but I rarely need to visit them in person. Basically, I'm looking at spending another week in Thailand (not a horrible option), or going back to Shanghai, and hoping that HK redacts the 14 day rule. I honestly can't imagine catching covid in Shanghai these days since contact with other humans is such a rarity.
Last time I checked you're not a Chinese national, nor a student
moondog likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL Platinum & MM, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CXfanatic
More cuts coming in early March.

CX872/873 which is the only remaining route operated by the 777-300ER (B77A now), will switch to the A350-1000 (A35K) but it will not operate daily.

Wonder what will happen with the 77W’s (77K and 77A).

Also YVR (838/837) and YYZ (826/829) have been operating A350’s on certain days of the week rather than the usual B77K aircraft. YVR - A359 and YYZ - Mostly A35K
HKG-LAX (CX880/882/884) are still showing as 77W in mid-March on Expert Flyer, with seats for sale in all cabins and in multiple fare classes. Is this known to be changing?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:56 am

Last time I checked you're not a Chinese national, nor a student
ur favourite SYD route seems to be going to 1 flight per day!
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by londonexpert
ur favourite SYD route seems to be going to 1 flight per day!
No-one I know’s flying in March, April is still 4 daily.

In fact if they consolidate to at least one daily, I’ll still live.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:02 pm

Anyone have luck changing just the Asia portion of a flight?

What I want to do... I have...USA-HKG-HAN... want to change to USA-HKG-SIN or USA-HKG-BKK

Is this allowed? Or is it only date changes?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
I have a Bkk-Hkg-Usa flight end of March that was cancelled. They let me change Hkg Usa leg easily and with no change fees. Problem though. Bangkok is down to two flight a day in March. 6:30am and about 17:00. So connections are coming with long layovers. They need a late morning connection flight.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:07 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by kaffir76
OK before I go on - & without quoting anyone so as not to make it personal, this has been my experience with the recent massive changes @ CX - that's right, it's so massive it deserves a red BOLD font :

1. Email on 7 Feb Fri. night re: schedule changes & canx. - the confirmed revised itin. came about 4-5 days later
2. Called in a week ago & spoke to a very helpful & surprisingly cheery "Pinay" - she was awesome!
3. Another email/SMS combi came last night @ BKK time 9.40pm & 12.10am

I'm not an CX apologist as I don't fly them often enough, though they are in my TOP 3 fav. airline in the world (it shouldn't be too hard to guess the other 2, & no it's not OZ - I've not flown with them ever ) - my experience has been positive so far, barring all the changes including the new ones 12 hours ago.

Sure - please vent & cuss at them if it makes you feel better but I really don't think / am very certain that CX is grasping at straws (awesome phrase btw, I thought it was "clinging" at first, though clutching is also used) & fighting hard to survive right now
I think that you are spot-on. I think that they are fighting for their lives. I doubt that they are generating much cash and that outside HKG that they are dealing with honouring bookings rather than selling many tickets. I just feel so sorry for the staff. Whatever way this goes, this will take a very long time to recover from.

The question that I came to ask was this

We have had several changes now. They cancelled out SYD-HKG and rebooked us. They have now cancelled our HKG- LHR flight and booked us to depart at 9.45. I accepted the changes on line as frankly I was scared that we might lose these new flights. Have I clicked away any possibility of getting these moved a day earlier or later? If I have, so be it but I know that you’d know. I’m not happy at the timings not that I’m not able to sit with my husband but that’s not the end of the world

Frankly, at this rate I wonder how many more changes they might make.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
We have had several changes now. They cancelled out SYD-HKG and rebooked us. They have now cancelled our HKG- LHR flight and booked us to depart at 9.45. I accepted the changes on line as frankly I was scared that we might lose these new flights. Have I clicked away any possibility of getting these moved a day earlier or later? If I have, so be it but I know that you’d know. I’m not happy at the timings not that I’m not able to sit with my husband but that’s not the end of the world
I would sit on it.

I sat on YVR Uncle's F-->J rebook because I wasn't happy about it, and I know they've got tons of J seats so they won't come back and say sorry sold out. Eventually forced my way into a F-->F protection on a F0 flight.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:18 am

I would sit on it.

I sat on YVR Uncle's F-->J rebook because I wasn't happy about it, and I know they've got tons of J seats so they won't come back and say sorry sold out. Eventually forced my way into a F-->F protection on a F0 flight.
I thought YVR do not have anymore F class now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.