FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Cathay (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay-487/)
-   -   The end of CX? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-cathay/2007178-end-cx.html)

gisanim Feb 1, 2020 7:36 pm

The end of CX?

In recent months, CX has to rely on mostly transit passengers to maintain operation. Now the transit passengers are gone as well. What's left? Will CX able to survive?

If the government agrees to close the Chinese border, will KA be the first airline to shut down?

sparkj Feb 1, 2020 7:59 pm

HK Airlines would be at more at risk than KA. Agree it should be a pretty bad year for the CX, but I don't think they will fold.
They can raise money in the market, and also they have Swire and Air China as their major shareholders, can always try to ask for more funding.
If HKA folds, then CX becomes the only HK based player again (since they own HK Express now) so in the long run it should be fine for CX, but what I'm worried about is with only one player left, prices may rise for us!
So hopefully someone will finally acquire HKA...

Arbeysix Feb 1, 2020 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by gisanim (Post 32022036)
In recent months, CX has to rely on mostly transit passengers to maintain operation. Now the transit passengers are gone as well. What's left? Will CX able to survive?

If the government agrees to close the Chinese border, will KA be the first airline to shut down?

Who says transit passengers are gone? For now passengers transiting HKG are not being denied entry to most destinations, including key CX transit destinations. Sectors on my CX flights last week were full and I expect the same when I travel again next week, unless the rules are changed to deny entry to pax transiting hkg.

ernestnywang Feb 1, 2020 9:05 pm

CX survived through SARS. So far, I don't think the 2019 nCoV outbreak is any more serious than SARS.

Finkface Feb 1, 2020 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 32022224)
CX survived through SARS. So far, I don't think the 2019 nCoV outbreak is any more serious than SARS.

it has surpassed SARS. https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/28/asia/...hnk/index.html

jagmeets Feb 1, 2020 10:05 pm

I wasn’t plugged enough into the world to know much about SARS, but to my untrained eye it appears that:
1) the current outbreak is less deadly (fatalities/cases)
2) the world is responding better & faster, likely due to the experience with SARS (leaving aside any possible delays initially within China that I do not know of)

if it’s going to get you, it will, but as of now I’m reasonably confident that practicing good personal hygiene and common sense will keep me safe.

so yes, while it’s going to be a $#!tty year for CX, I don’t think they’re going under, Nor do I think that this is going to be the virus that’ll end the world as we know.

ernestnywang Feb 1, 2020 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 32022294)

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 32022339)
I wasn’t plugged enough into the world to know much about SARS, but to my untrained eye it appears that:
1) the current outbreak is less deadly (fatalities/cases)
2) the world is responding better & faster, likely due to the experience with SARS (leaving aside any possible delays initially within China that I do not know of)

if it’s going to get you, it will, but as of now I’m reasonably confident that practicing good personal hygiene and common sense will keep me safe.

so yes, while it’s going to be a $#!tty year for CX, I don’t think they’re going under, Nor do I think that this is going to be the virus that’ll end the world as we know.

I second this. If we are going with number of confirmed cases alone, many influenza have more.

gisanim Feb 1, 2020 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang (Post 32022224)

The nCoV may be not as serious as SARS, but there was no protests before SARS and HK economy rebounded quickly after SARS because of Chinese travelers. It's different this time.

ernestnywang Feb 1, 2020 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by gisanim (Post 32022457)
The nCoV may be not as serious as SARS, but there was no protests before SARS and HK economy rebounded quickly after SARS because of Chinese travelers. It's different this time.

Sure, but I still think financially CX is far from going bankrupt. Plus, I think CA will be happy to buy CX if Swire wants to sell.

lixiaojuventus Feb 1, 2020 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 32022294)

Not exactly. The Wuhan Coronavirus is nowhere near the fatality of SARS. Yes, it infected more people, but much fewer people died of this virus. So I do not think the impact of this virus on CX is as bad as SARS.

jagmeets Feb 2, 2020 1:46 am

While I’ll admit that the forwards are probably part-propaganda, one can’t ignore the numbers- the current number of Coronavirus cases, globally, isn’t that different from the number of influenza related deaths in the US alone, last year (boring bog standard flu).

cmiller11101 Feb 2, 2020 3:07 am

Yeah, no... CX will survive

rickywk Feb 2, 2020 4:56 am

The stories is still developing, it's too early to said CX will end or not. But Chinese carriers + HX should see more difficulties than CX group.

bobbytables Feb 2, 2020 5:09 am

Cathay's been through much tougher times than this, and for the most part HK transit seems unaffected. Flight loads have been healthy.

brunos Feb 2, 2020 7:33 am

Originally Posted by bobbytables (Post 32023147)
Cathay's been through much tougher times than this, and for the most part HK transit seems unaffected. Flight loads have been healthy.

Much tougher than the sum of US trade war, protests and Virus? Really?
Current flight loads are not healthy.

But, I agree that CX can overcome this if it is reactive in terms of staff management.