Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Moving to the states later in the year - worth to keep CX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving to the states later in the year - worth to keep CX?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:42 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Like what many have said, the best way to go about this is map out your projected travels for the year ahead and see which home carrier works, or offers the best network with its partners.

Like some in this thread, I have abandoned MP for Delta. I was in Asia for most of my life and used CX quite a bit. One of the best back there.

I first moved to the western coast, then the southern US where AA was dominant and continued to use both CX (flying to Asia)/ AA (domestic), while retaining MP. It worked really well for six years. I was Gold in my last few years with CX, but redemption only made sense whenever I would fly back to Asia. When I moved further north, Alaska provided some connectivity but AA and AS divorced shortly after that. I actually had no choice but to migrate to DL. No regrets there. Service is way better. And it seems that American carriers offer more opportunities for upgrades and redemptions for its elite members (several times better in my opinion than CX). Also, there is that dreaded MQD requirement for American-based flyers. But if you have an airline credit card, it is quite easy to fulfill.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If you are only going to have occasional trips back to Asia, choosing CX as a program for opups is probably not a good idea. You’re probably better off going for AA:

- You can earn and use upgrades proper on AA if you are explat
​​​​​​- You can earn miles much more easily (credit cards and other offers)
- Redemptions can be better and more flexible using AA miles
- You can get Admirals membership through a credit card for your domestic travel
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64
<snip>
I believe most my flights will be domestic Y / J with 1-2 J back to HKG each year after I move to the states.
<snip>
I will be moving to North Carolina for two years and then New York indefinitely after that.

A lot of my flights will be between RDU JFK LAX and SFO if that helps, with the occasional trip back to HKG / ASIA.

As for OP ups - I have received a J->F upgrade a few months ago from HKG -> LAX. One thing I did notice is that these upgrades only started happening in the last 12 months for CX. As Crazy as this sounds, I think I have been upgraded on one leg of every single round trip CX flight I've taken in the last 12 months, including long haul (unless I was already flying J and there was no F obviously).
If flying USA Asia long haul J paid business class, status with any ffp, won't get much extra. But could be a good earner to AA ffp
Need to crunch the numbers. AA ffp is as much about frequent spending as about frequent flying
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
OP is PCS. So here are something that OP needs to be considered:

1. What is the AA EQM/S/D equivalent based on 600+ CP OP has earned from CX and its partners?

2. What kind of travel would OP expect in the future? OP sounds like working for Bank of America (as it is based in CLT). While I have no inside information, I don't believe BofA domestic travel policy is really that friendly towards FFP.

3. To many U.S. based flyers, lounge access is virtually non-existent, and not worth it. The lounges are so badly perceived that having a McD at an airport may be a better choice.

4. AA recently imposes dynamic award pricing. I don't believe partner awards have been affected yet. But I believe it will be soon. On the other hand, CX eliminates mile expiration. To me, these will contribute further devaluation of miles and/or make award travel even more difficult.

5. Last but not the least, can OP even re-qualify for CX GO?

So to me, discussing any particular benefits is meaningless, unless OP has a clear picture about how he/she can meet the threshold of either AA or CX.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

I will be moving to North Carolina for two years and then New York indefinitely after that.

A lot of my flights will be between RDU JFK LAX and SFO if that helps, with the occasional trip back to HKG / ASIA.

As for OP ups - I have received a J->F upgrade a few months ago from HKG -> LAX. One thing I did notice is that these upgrades only started happening in the last 12 months for CX. As Crazy as this sounds, I think I have been upgraded on one leg of every single round trip CX flight I've taken in the last 12 months, including long haul (unless I was already flying J and there was no F obviously).
The RDU Admirals Club is nothing to write home about, but the JFK Flagship Lounge is very good. You will have access with CX GO, but not with AA membership if flying domestic (except J/F to LAX/SFO), and you can't buy your way into the FL. Unfortunately there are a lot more domestic AA flights out of LGA compared to JFK.

Edit: I have vague memory about how the RDU club's offering is upped in the evening before the LHR flight, but I really don't know if that's the case anymore. It might mean it is a bit better than an average AC in the evening.

Last edited by ernestnywang; Jan 30, 2020 at 4:39 pm
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:25 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I think it really depends on your personal travel plans, what airport you will be traveling and connecting through quite frequently, and if you value US3 lounges. AA lounges are really nothing to write home about (although some lounges in hubs have food improvements like made to order avocado toast, guacamole stations, barista-style coffee). The only US3 lounges I actually like are DL SkyClubs. I quite like their food offering. If you are going to be based in RDU, the DL Sky Club there is nice, and the folks who work there are very friendly. The AA one there is fine as well, but the food isn't as good as DL. The 2 AA Clubs in CLT are overcrowded, and quite pathetic for the second largest hub of the largest US airline. None of them even have showers.

If you value lounge access, I would probably get either the CSR Card or the Amex Platinum, if possible, or a DL/AA/UA credit card that offers lounge access.

I don't see how it would be possible to have a status higher than say AA Platinum while also having anything higher than MPC Silver. I was MPC Silver that somehow was "upgraded" per se to MPC Gold without qualifying for Gold. I just re-qualified for Silver by taking 5 R/Ts to HKG in deep-discount Y class within the past year, purposely using my MPC number over my AAvantage number because AA wouldn't award me miles for a deep discount Y ticket on CX.
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Edit: I have vague memory about how the RDU club's offering is upped in the evening before the LHR flight, but I really don't know if that's the case anymore. It might mean it is a bit better than an average AC in the evening.
I don't think they do that anymore now that they have enhanced the offerings in most clubs to soups/salads/light meals. They did this I think back in the day when the only thing essentially on offer was cheese/crackers, cookies, nuts, and veggies with dip.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc
If you are only going to have occasional trips back to Asia, choosing CX as a program for opups is probably not a good idea. You’re probably better off going for AA:

- You can earn and use upgrades proper on AA if you are explat
​​​​​​- You can earn miles much more easily (credit cards and other offers)
- Redemptions can be better and more flexible using AA miles
- You can get Admirals membership through a credit card for your domestic travel
What sxc mentions is probably key. AA offers 4 SWU's which are requested upgrades but have a realistic chance at clearing. Currently, you can from Y to J and the hard product on the DFW/LAX-HKG flights are very very good - better than CX I would say. Also, access to the Qantas First lounge or CX Pier First is very nice (although it's not as nice as it used to be). These are the reasons why I chase EXP status.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Another option is you could switch now and suspend your MPC membership ("membership holiday") so you can pick it back up when you return.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
Another option is you could switch now and suspend your MPC membership ("membership holiday") so you can pick it back up when you return.
OP will be in the US for several years it seems, so membership holiday won't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.