Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

CX / KA / UO Delaying all Mainland-Bound Evening Flts

Old Jan 26, 20, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club

Effective today, CX / KA / UO is delaying all the Mainland China-bound evening departures on all the flights that were previous scheduled to be parked overnight in Mainland China. Most of the 7pm or 8pm departures are being delayed to 4am or 5am the next day. I suppose the purpose is so that crews don't have to overnight in Mainland China. A quick survey indicates that the following destinations are affected:
CTU - KA evening
HGH - KA evening
NGB - KA evening, UO
NKG - KA evening
PEK - CX evening is canx, KA afternoon flt delays to evening
PVG - CX evening, KA evening
TNA - KA
XMN - KA evening

The changes are now shown in GDS availability display nor "Manage Booking" yet, but can be found under "Flight Status." It seems to at least go till end of Jan. I wonder if this means at least one of the lounges will now be open 24 hours to accommodate.

PS: Since https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...y-pacific.html seems to focus on service changes, I started a new thread, but sxc please feel free to merge.
Old Jan 26, 20, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
I called The Wing. The Wing confirmed that the lounge will be open after 1:15am but only for pax on delayed services. I don't think they would kick people out if they get it before 1:15am, though.
Old Jan 26, 20, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Confirmed by Cathay - there is at least a substantial reduction in the number of crews and planes requiring to overnight in mainland China until further notice. For obvious reasons.

Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
Effective today, CX / KA / UO is delaying all the Mainland China-bound evening departures on all the flights that were previous scheduled to be parked overnight in Mainland China. Most of the 7pm or 8pm departures are being delayed to 4am or 5am the next day. I suppose the purpose is so that crews don't have to overnight in Mainland China. A quick survey indicates that the following destinations are affected:
CTU - KA evening
HGH - KA evening
NGB - KA evening, UO
NKG - KA evening
PEK - CX evening is canx, KA afternoon flt delays to evening
PVG - CX evening, KA evening
TNA - KA
XMN - KA evening

The changes are now shown in GDS availability display nor "Manage Booking" yet, but can be found under "Flight Status." It seems to at least go till end of Jan. I wonder if this means at least one of the lounges will now be open 24 hours to accommodate.

PS: Since https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...y-pacific.html seems to focus on service changes, I started a new thread, but sxc please feel free to merge.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:33 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
Internal memo I saw from yesterday from friend.. no more China overnights. It's enough that his wife and family left HK to Australia last night.

His just accepted a position @ regional carrier on the basis of a phone call and giving his notice today.
Old Jan 27, 20, 1:15 am

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
The are currently doing it for MNL as well. I guess because of the Taal Volcano eruption last Jan 12.
Old Jan 27, 20, 4:56 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd View Post
The are currently doing it for MNL as well. I guess because of the Taal Volcano eruption last Jan 12.
Just noticed this too, wondering why it still continues as the threat seems to have now been downgraded.
Old Jan 27, 20, 6:26 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by midlevels View Post
Just noticed this too, wondering why it still continues as the threat seems to have now been downgraded.
I'm guessing it may take a while before the Operations people to shift it back.
Old Jan 27, 20, 7:29 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
There is also a good chance for huge delay for afternoon/evening mainland arrival flights. I was sitting in the lounge at HGH yesterday for 6 hours waiting for KA621 to get ready. There was one Wuhan lady onboard KA620, taken away immediately after lading, the rest of pax and all crew had to wait in the aircraft for around 6 hours for a test result to come back.

It was a same crew turn around flight and I can clearly tell the captain was quite unhappy about what happened, when he was making onboard announcement.
ernestnywang likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: