Taking a mini bottle of champagne onboard

Old Jan 23, 20, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Taking a mini bottle of champagne onboard

Hello,

I will be flying Cathay next month, sadly down the back.

Does anyone know if Cathay would be likely to object to me and my partner taking on (and drinking) a mini bottle of champagne each purchased airside (Zurich).

Many thanks.
Old Jan 23, 20, 5:01 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
You're not meant to drink your own alcohol.

But I guess it's some occasion, and if you can show the FAs it's unopened (i.e. you didn't fill it with hard liquor) and same as one drink they will serve you, guess OK.
Old Jan 24, 20, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post

But I guess it's some occasion, and if you can show the FAs it's unopened (i.e. you didn't fill it with hard liquor) and same as one drink they will serve you, guess OK.
they might even bring u something form J class if it is a special occasion but it doesn’t include breaking your leg
Old Jan 24, 20, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by londonexpert View Post
they might even bring u something form J class if it is a special occasion but it doesn’t include breaking your leg
Hey, we just want to make sure that you really, really are entitled to wear the moon-boots.
Old Jan 24, 20, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Yes, it is a wedding anniversary trip, taking advantage of some cheap fares from Zurich to Bali.

If it's officially not allowed I probably won't bother, since it's not that important a thing, I was just curious about whether we'd be likely to be told off for doing so and would rather spare the embarrassment. I know on Finnair you can order a bottle of champagne in Y for about €45, but I don't think it's a thing with Cathay.
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:45 am

Order a cake for HKD$300 and maybe they will bring you a glass or 2 of champagne from J/F
Old Jan 24, 20, 11:56 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
A few years ago I sat next to a man with a bag of duty free alcohol, they immediately told him to not drink it (he didn't listen of course) when they saw the bag.
Old Jan 24, 20, 1:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post

And say you're drinking one drink from an unopened bottle in lieu of theirs.

TG did announce on board today pax shouldn't drink their own alcohol.
Old Jan 25, 20, 5:40 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I would contact CX and ask directly, mentioning that it's your wedding anniversary. Some airlines have a policy, not widely publicized, that crew can pour alcohol you brought on board for you. If it's just small bottle (200ml?) each they may be fine. The worse that can happen is they say no, but they may put a note in your file and if lucky the crew may bring you a glass.

To be honest however, just have a glass at the airport bar before you board to celebrate the start of the trip. It will probably taste much better than in the air!
bunkunu likes this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 12:58 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
It is against the rules

Just to be clear, it is categorically against CX policy to bring your own booze on board and drink it.

Whether they enforce it is a matter of question. But I'm certain about the policy. And I have some experience with it.

I have been denied 1/1 times I asked to drink my own Champagne in J class I bought duty free. I have been denied 1/2 times I brought my own beer from the lounge. The other time (the first time), the SP chilled it for me in the refrigerator and served it to me. I brought two bottles on board. The beer anecdotes are from years ago. Champagne example was in 2018.

​​​​​​Realistically you probably won't get caught if you help yourself, but it seems the OP is asking for the rules. There is zero ambiguity on the rules front. You're not allowed to drink your own alcohol in CX flights.
percysmith, beach86 and narvik like this.
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:45 am

Programs: CX MPC GO, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire
Many airlines have policies (published or not) that prohibit passengers from consuming their own alcohol onboard for financial reasons (carriers that sell alcohol onboard) or for safety reasons (FAs are supposed to monitor alcohol consumption when serving passengers alcohol).
Old Jan 26, 20, 2:16 am

Programs: SQ PPS
Somewhat related...

Flew SIN-HKG w/ CX (in J) last week. On longer flights, I like to bring my own meals (high protein, low carb, veggies) with me. I'm used to airlines being willing to plate and heat my meals. Have never done this on CX so asked the crew re CX policies; understood that they are not allowed to store passengers' own meals (totally understandable), but they are also not allowed to heat such meals. Obviously not something I would demand in any case.
Old Jan 26, 20, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions - much appreciated.

I think I'll go for the option of not taking anything onboard, and just look forward to a glass of champagne in the lounges when we arrive in Hong Kong during transit. I've never flown with Cathay in longhaul Y, but I'm sure the wine they offer is drinkable, so I doubt we'll feel that hard done by.
Old Feb 1, 20, 2:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Why would you want to drink warm champagne?
Old Feb 1, 20, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Well I'd take it from a bar chilled. But this wasn't a thread on the merits of champagne temperature, it was about Cathay policy, so your reply (unlike the others) is pretty pointless.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: