Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Taiwan has yesterday posted a further restriction for travellers from certain regions, who have to undergo self health management (https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...eBQ?typeid=158).

This might end in further reductions regarding any flight continuing from TPE to Japan (if not already cancelled)
Taiwan only added Korea to home quarantine, and CX already suspended TPE-ICN. TPE-NRT and TPE-KIX are still operating, while TPE-NGO is also suspended. There is no travel restrictions between Taiwan and Japan now.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
The issue is coronavirus, not a country or a city or an airport. The latest news is the outbreak in South Korea. The virus is of most concern for the old and the young so waiting until after the virus subsides wouldn't be a bad option. Travel is stressful. Regardless, the current pricing wouldn't indicate a huge benefit to advance purchase of tickets. Wait and see.
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
No way to predict where this is going in May as eight+ weeks from now is an *eternity* in this situation. This whole situation was barely a blip on the radar eight weeks ago. My only advice would be that you and they are likely going to need to be flexible and I would consider refundable fares and/or "any reason cancellation" trip insurance. Also Cathay might almost be a safer bet at this point since they have already taken the hit. Given the situation in South Korea and Japan, their airlines may soon be doing what Cathay has already done. Good luck.
Thank you both for your thoughts. Parents decided they would be more comfortable flying BA via Heathrow at this time. If it were me, I could do the wait-and-see approach but they need to know that they have flights booked so I'm just going to go ahead. In the meantime, I personally have a flight booked on CX in August going the other way (JFK-KUL via HKG) so will just have to wait-and-see for my own trip. Hopefully things will be under control by then
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
The issue is coronavirus, not a country or a city or an airport. The latest news is the outbreak in South Korea. The virus is of most concern for the old and the young so waiting until after the virus subsides wouldn't be a bad option. Travel is stressful. Regardless, the current pricing wouldn't indicate a huge benefit to advance purchase of tickets. Wait and see.
i read somewhere that the death rate is 0.2% for <39. it does not really affect the young.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: United, Delta
On Feb 20 flew Cathay Pacific MNL- HGK, then HGK- LAX. (CX882) No issues transiting HGK, only a temperature check, no issues entering the USA. Connected to LAX WiFi and used Mobile Passport to clear Immigration and Customs.
SirToby likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Been there recently and no different than usual entry procedures and screening.
There are noticeably more ICA staff than usual now (especially given there are fewer passengers going through Changi...)
Old Feb 26, 2020, 6:37 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
According to https://www.facebook.com/fabianselec...type=3&theater, MLE will still have flights till end of the month while IAD indeed is gone. Not sure where he got the information, which looks internal.
Updated list here

ernestnywang and ExpatSomchai like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:45 pm

Currently in the haven within the Wing F lounge and it is relatively busy with at least 30 people.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: CX Gold

Easing of travel restrictions to Hong Kong.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 6:45 am

Waiver extended through 5/31: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...Hong-Kong.html

Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:34 am

CX have updated the inventory for April/May.

reservations are closed for the following destinations
Male
Barcelona
london Gatwick
milan
Rome
Tel Aviv

a lot of other routes have only some days opened for reservations. There should be more updates these few days.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I am waiting for call from Amex Travel (Expedia) to answer question. But I am concerned about how this is going to work. I have a paid round-trip business class flight from LAX-HKG-SGN in about 2 weeks. We have decided to move our trip to November. As I read the HKG waiver we can make a change to any other flight for no fee. But all the business class fares on Cathay, for the next year (even out to 2021) have gone up by about $1,500 from what we paid. The "cancellation fee" is $800 per ticket, which I am hoping to avoid. But when I try to change dates (no change in routing) are they going to tell me that there is a "difference in fare" of $1,500 per ticket? Because that seems to be true everywhere on their system (I also looked at India, for example).
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
I am waiting for call from Amex Travel (Expedia) to answer question. But I am concerned about how this is going to work. I have a paid round-trip business class flight from LAX-HKG-SGN in about 2 weeks. We have decided to move our trip to November. As I read the HKG waiver we can make a change to any other flight for no fee. But all the business class fares on Cathay, for the next year (even out to 2021) have gone up by about $1,500 from what we paid. The "cancellation fee" is $800 per ticket, which I am hoping to avoid. But when I try to change dates (no change in routing) are they going to tell me that there is a "difference in fare" of $1,500 per ticket? Because that seems to be true everywhere on their system (I also looked at India, for example).
If no change of fare code, even if fare for the code has changed, you wont pay it.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
FWIW flew DPS-HKG 25 Feb almost full plane. No cancellations at the time on DPS flights. We seemed to be the only people at all in immigration. Shot my hand held temp scanners, incl the two small kids, who can always get fever for whatever reason.
Very smooth transfer with shuttle to Marriott skycity. 5 min trip, and the only ones on the bus. Late arrival but still only us in clulb lounge. A few people for BF, which was moved to restaurant. A couple others only on shuttle back to airport. We were the only people in amex centurion lounge for hours. Then HKG-LHR probably had 20% load even if the prior flight was cancelled (the one we were booked on).

We had about 30+ seats for us self in the back of the plane (Yes I know).
Old Mar 1, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
It appears that a UK-based Chinese employee has tested positive in Shenzhen after traveling on LHR-HKG CX250/27Feb. The Guardian article is below. Basically the employee has been in the UK since late December so he either caught the virus in the UK or during the transit to Hong Kong. The aircraft, B-KQU flew to SFO afterward and now it appears that it is grounded in HKG. Now that there are more and more countries with presumed community spread, I wonder how would CX operations be affected?

Guardian Article
Old Mar 1, 2020, 3:28 pm

"A statement from the Guangdong health commission late on Sunday said authorities in Shenzhen had declared an “imported case” of the coronavirus after the man tested positive. It is unclear whether or not he became infected in the UK, but Chinese authorities said two of the patient’s colleagues in the UK had reported coughs and fever."

I think IATA had their doctor said it's very hard to get infected on a plane?
And even it it happens it's only within a one passenger radius (i.e. 8 more at most), due to how air ventilation works on planes?

CX's subsidiary UO has transported subsequently confirmed cases before, there's been no outbreak on that plane.

See whether any outbreak in this CX250 case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.