Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Aeroplan 75K
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...rying-just-582

Further cuts announced, remaining long haul flights now 2x weekly instead of 3x.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
ban on visitor visas and transit (orig 14 days starting 25 march https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...0032400050.htm) now extended indefinitely

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/ch/compone...abchangeable=0
​​​​​

Last edited by percysmith; Apr 6, 2020 at 8:19 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
With an all freighter fleet of over 35+ jumbo freighter (Cathay plus wholly owned Air Hong Kong subsidiary) aircraft plus a fleet of big belly passenger aircraft freight is big business for the airline.

From AU/NZ alone Cathay is running 3x777 flights a day to/from Sydney on most days plus on most days a 747 freighter plus at least 1 daily flight ex Melbourne with again a freighter on alternate days plus also a daily 777 ex Brisbane plus a freighter 3 times a week..Flights are still running to Auckland daily with an additional 747 freighter at least a couple of times a week.
They are moving a lot of high value perishable freight and this must be of considerable financial assistance in these troubled times
Old Apr 8, 2020, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is clearly of assistance to have one of the largest cargo freighters fleet : 20 747 for CX plus 11 A300s for Air Hong Kong (with a blocked space agreement with DHL).
But a lot of the cargo was also transported on passenger planes. That is off now.
The demand for air cargo has been reduced by the economic lockdown in many countries, but the supply has been drastically reduced by the fact that very few pax planes are still flying.
Overall CX sees a drastic reduction in cargo. Capacity was down 15% in February, much more in March and much much more today. Operating pax plane with only cargo is very expensive and requires astronomic freight charges.
There is strong demand for all kinds of medical-related material and freight costs have drastically increased with reduced capacity. You mention Australia where agriculture and fisheries are a major exporter (e.g. to HK), badly hit by the rise in freight costs. There is limit to the cost that exporters can stomach as it becomes a huge component of the final product price for veggie, fruits or fish. For example the Australian government has decided to subsidize freight and work on finding more freighters.
https://www.businessnewsaus.com.au/a...ght-boost.html

BTW, the statistics you provide for flights to SYD are inconsistent with the information on www.cathaypacificcargo.com, which is usually reliable. CX operates either one or two flights per day (pax and freighter) to SYD. The other routes seems discontinued, except for an occasional pax flight.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by brunos
It is clearly of assistance to have one of the largest cargo freighters fleet : 20 747 for CX plus 11 A300s for Air Hong Kong (with a blocked space agreement with DHL).
But a lot of the cargo was also transported on passenger planes. That is off now.
The demand for air cargo has been reduced by the economic lockdown in many countries, but the supply has been drastically reduced by the fact that very few pax planes are still flying.
Overall CX sees a drastic reduction in cargo. Capacity was down 15% in February, much more in March and much much more today. Operating pax plane with only cargo is very expensive and requires astronomic freight charges.
There is strong demand for all kinds of medical-related material and freight costs have drastically increased with reduced capacity. You mention Australia where agriculture and fisheries are a major exporter (e.g. to HK), badly hit by the rise in freight costs. There is limit to the cost that exporters can stomach as it becomes a huge component of the final product price for veggie, fruits or fish. For example the Australian government has decided to subsidize freight and work on finding more freighters.
https://www.businessnewsaus.com.au/a...ght-boost.html

BTW, the statistics you provide for flights to SYD are inconsistent with the information on www.cathaypacificcargo.com, which is usually reliable. CX operates either one or two flights per day (pax and freighter) to SYD. The other routes seems discontinued, except for an occasional pax flight.
Just a friendly reminder: the info on cxcargo.com is not comprehensive and only includes bookable flights. That's to say, charter flights and some fully booked flights will not be shown on that website.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reply1984
Just a friendly reminder: the info on cxcargo.com is not comprehensive and only includes bookable flights. That's to say, charter flights and some fully booked flights will not be shown on that website.
Point well taken. Is there a source to check on charter flights?
The number of bookable flights decrease from today as we go further in April, which should be the reverse if fully booked flights were not showing.
One can see on FR24 the flights with usual flight numbers (pax or cargo) that have and will operate. It seems to confirm my data. But I do not have access to privileged information from CX cargo. It would be nice to get some idea on how extensive is the use of CX pax planes solely for cargo worldwide.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 4:47 am

@brunos
Air Hong Kong presently runs a 17 strong fleet....some contracted and or wet leased.
The flights mentioned in my above post are flights actual flown not from schedules and the information is from flightradar24 daily listings by airport.

As there are presently very very few pax ex HK to long haul destinations it is fair to assume that most non freighter flights are being run primarily for freight.

While of course there is an ultimate ceiling that the market will pay for first quality perishable freight it is a very high one for the richer of the Asian markets and I would suggest that at least in China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan the market is willing to pay whatever it costs within reason. Also of course Cathay would honor to a significant degree long term contracts with major customers.

Yesterday I purchased from 'Great' a 1kg fresh line caught Snapper ex NZ the cost was perhaps 20 -25% higher than usual but in the current circumstances was I thought very reasonable.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:08 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'm wondering is CX shipping cartons in pax seats where they're still operating pax planes?
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:11 am

Hong Kong government just announced another fiscal stimulus package, it included several parts that could benefit Cathay:
1) Directly pay employee's salary for six months, with the cap of HKD 9,000 per month;
2) Every large aircraft (compared to light aircraft) registered in Hong Kong can receive HKD 1m subsidies. (CX has 152, KA has 48, UO has 24 and Air Hong Kong has 11);
3) Hong Kong Airport Authority will provide HKD 2 billion package to the airport community.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Reply1984
Hong Kong government just announced another fiscal stimulus package, it included several parts that could benefit Cathay:
1) Directly pay employee's salary for six months, with the cap of HKD 9,000 per month;
2) Every large aircraft (compared to light aircraft) registered in Hong Kong can receive HKD 1m subsidies. (CX has 152, KA has 48, UO has 24 and Air Hong Kong has 11);
3) Hong Kong Airport Authority will provide HKD 2 billion package to the airport community.
The biggest is buying 500,000 tickets form the 4 HK airlines to be given out later to stimulate flights to HK:

HK government buying tickets from airlines; financial relieve. (Chinese)
Old Apr 8, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
@brunos
Air Hong Kong presently runs a 17 strong fleet....some contracted and or wet leased.
The flights mentioned in my above post are flights actual flown not from schedules and the information is from flightradar24 daily listings by airport.

As there are presently very very few pax ex HK to long haul destinations it is fair to assume that most non freighter flights are being run primarily for freight.

While of course there is an ultimate ceiling that the market will pay for first quality perishable freight it is a very high one for the richer of the Asian markets and I would suggest that at least in China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan the market is willing to pay whatever it costs within reason. Also of course Cathay would honor to a significant degree long term contracts with major customers.

Yesterday I purchased from 'Great' a 1kg fresh line caught Snapper ex NZ the cost was perhaps 20 -25% higher than usual but in the current circumstances was I thought very reasonable.
I am a bit surprised by the 17 planes of Air Hong Kong.
I also looked at FR24. It could be that we look at different dates. What was true in March is not the situation today or for the next few days..
Old Apr 8, 2020, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
SCMP: Coronavirus: Hong Kong airport authority to buy 500,000 air tickets to inject cash directly into ailing airlines

HK$2bn from Hong Kong Airport to:
- buy 500,000 air tickets to help the city's four airlines directly with cash flow & buyback equipment from airport services firms

- If HK$2bn was for just air tickets, it falls short of IATA estimates that Hong Kong's airlines will lose HK$46.5bn in passenger revenue
&
- The volume of tickets would be enough to cover the 100,000 passengers flying Cathay Pacific daily for five days.

HK Govt. to pay one-off subsidy for each "large aircraft" (HK$1m) & "small aircraft" (HK$200k)
- Cathay Pacific Group: HK$198.4m: 236 planes (189WBs/47NBs) based on 2019 Annual Report fleet composition
- Hong Kong Airlines HK$22.4m: 32 planes (20WBs/12NBs)

Last edited by SinoBritAsia; Apr 8, 2020 at 11:08 am
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:31 pm

Air HK fleet
There is conflicting information from various web sites but the below from the updated Air Hong Kong's website:

'There are currently four A330Fs in the Air Hong Kong fleet, including wet lease operation, making the total fleet size of Air Hong Kong at 13.'

My understanding from an airline source is that they have leased further aircraft in the past weeks - I have no specific information and this may or may not be correct.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oldchinahand
Air HK fleet
There is conflicting information from various web sites but the below from the updated Air Hong Kong's website:

'There are currently four A330Fs in the Air Hong Kong fleet, including wet lease operation, making the total fleet size of Air Hong Kong at 13.'

My understanding from an airline source is that they have leased further aircraft in the past weeks - I have no specific information and this may or may not be correct.
Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Point well taken. Is there a source to check on charter flights?
The number of bookable flights decrease from today as we go further in April, which should be the reverse if fully booked flights were not showing.
One can see on FR24 the flights with usual flight numbers (pax or cargo) that have and will operate. It seems to confirm my data. But I do not have access to privileged information from CX cargo. It would be nice to get some idea on how extensive is the use of CX pax planes solely for cargo worldwide.
It seems no way to check charter flights. An alternative method is to check how many planes are flying on FlightRadar24 or Flightaware...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.