Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Feb pax -64.4% YoY, air services business loss HK$2b

https://www2.hkej.com/instantnews/an...926;20億

https://hk.finance.appledaily.com/fi...4B2HDO7A2W5DU/

Also sale and leaseback six 77W to BoC Aviation for US$704M
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
HK to mandatory home quarantine *all* arrivals starting Thursday

Coronavirus: Hong Kong to place arrivals from all foreign countries under home quarantine https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ls-all-foreign
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I understand that quarantine centers are full and that self-quarantine is the only feasible solution if the government keeps accepting all arrivals from abroad.
But the question is how to get this enforced on such a wide scale. I would not violate it in Singapore as controls are frequent and penalties stiff. But in HK?
And HK gave several days notice, so thousands of students, dressed in impressive gears, arrive before having to self-quarantine. And even is they self quarantine they can infect their family who is not quarantined. We should get ready for another big surge.

And Singapore also has stricter entry rules and bans entry or transit for a list of countries (PR can still enter). What about HK transit?

Last edited by brunos; Mar 17, 2020 at 2:45 am
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by brunos
I understand that quarantine centers are full and that self-quarantine is the only feasible solution if the government keeps accepting all arrivals from abroad.
But the question is how to get this enforced on such a wide scale. I would not violate it in Singapore as controls are frequent and penalties stiff. But in HK?
And HK gave several days notice, so thousands of students, dressed in impressive gears, arrive before having to self-quarantine. And even is they self quarantine they can infect their family who is not quarantined. We should get ready for another big surge.

And Singapore also has stricter entry rules and bans entry or transit for a list of countries (PR can still enter). What about HK transit?
HK CHP or police will call people under self-quarantine using WhatsApp.
If there is any doubt they will switch to video call and ask to have location service turned on.
Most housing estates have CCTV and watchmen at entrance to verify.
Violators have been fined, there is stronger enforcement available to the authorities. Are violators in SG subjected to local style punishments?

Bolded text is a major concern for many.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:28 am

For HK transit, reasons are simple: SQ is a state-owned company by Singapore government, while CX is a private company. Ban on transit means HK government needs to compensate airlines for that, and apparently Hong Kong government is extremely reluctant to offer direct help to private big companies.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:18 am

Another crew caught the virus. She worked on CX315/07MAR and CX320/11MAR in J. If you are on these flights please self-quarantine for 14 days. This also applies to the following flights, as a Coronavirus patient is onboard:
1. CX811/09MAR (J, crew also caught virus)
2. CX561/11MAR
3. CX260/12MAR
4. CX902/13MAR
5. CX382/13MAR
6. CX270/14MAR
7. CX837/14MAR (J)
8. CX254/06MAR (J)
​​​9. CX254/13MAR (28 people have symptoms)
10. CX930/14MAR
By the way, CX270/17MAR is cancelled. Well done CX for making the right decision.
Eagle2000 likes this.

Last edited by CX289; Mar 20, 2020 at 3:36 am
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:43 am

IAnd Singapore also has stricter entry rules and bans entry or transit for a list of countries (PR can still enter). What about HK transit?
Originally Posted by Reply1984
For HK transit, reasons are simple: SQ is a state-owned company by Singapore government, while CX is a private company. Ban on transit means HK government needs to compensate airlines for that, and apparently Hong Kong government is extremely reluctant to offer direct help to private big companies.
The only reason justifying banning transit is to minimise in-flight outbreaks of passengers heading home.

Fine, do it. Then private airlines will simply cut flights even before quarantine is announced, leaving passengers heading home to fend for themselves. Given our attitude initially with Wuhan returnees and now with travellers generally, once home we view all inbound travellers as infected criminals anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I don't think it has been posted in the forum yet, and I can't find the information on CX's website, but CX has sent a message to all Taiwanese TA today that all tickets issued on or before 17MAR for travel between 17MAR and 31MAY will now be eligible for penalty-free refund and changes. For changes, it has to be done before 31MAY and the new travel has to commence on or before 10DEC.

The policy says it is for all CX-160 and KA-043 tickets issued worldwide and not limited to tickets issued in Taiwan. Partial refund is also allowed.

有關往返全球之特別票務安排

國泰航空/國泰港龍航空由即時起豁免乘客重新訂位(Rebooking)、更改航點(Rerouting)及退票之手 續費用。此項特別豁免適用於所有2020年3月17日(含)前經由全球辦事處開立之國泰/國泰港龍機票,並於2020年3月17日至5月31日期間涉及往返全球之已確認機位。

一、取消行程/退票
  • 豁免乘客取消行程/退票之費用,適用所有機票票種,包括不可退費機票。
  • 退票作法:
    1.Auto Refund:全程未用且符合上述條件,無須加註說明。
    2.BSP LINK:部分使用且符合上述條件,在RA FORM中的附註欄位加註 Refund due to WUH COV。
二、重新訂位/更改航點/No-show

在以下情況,重新訂位/更改航點/No-show之手續費將獲豁免:
  • 已確認行程之出發期間為2020年3月17日至5月31日期間涉及往返全球,並須於 2020年5月31日(含)前完成改票作業。
  • 更改後的出發日期必須為2020年12月10日(含)前,並須受艙位供應限制,機票有效期亦將 作相應調整。
  • 重新訂位的航段須受有關票價條款所限制,例如:日期限制(blackout dates)、適用航班、平日/周末行程、中途停留附加費及其它旺/淡季而收取之有關差額(如適用)。
  • 如因原定出發之機票已過期,更改機票的手續費用可獲豁免。
  • 更改航點往返或途經任一航點限國泰/國泰港龍航班,須受艙位供應、票價及稅差價限制。
Asia Miles has followed (for CX/KA only, without partial refund mentioned): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...rldwide-travel
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:56 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by CX289
By the way, CX270/17MAR is cancelled. Well done CX for making the right decision.
Understandable, not that much choice, the outbound CX271/17MAR to AMS got canceled to, since the Dutch gov decided to close the country for incoming passengers from China, HKG and Korea, including transit passengers, starting March 16, 18:00LT.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Asia Miles has followed (for CX/KA only, without partial refund mentioned): https://www.asiamiles.com/en/support...rldwide-travel
Oh you mentioned. But just screencap what is published:

ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
The policy says it is for all CX-160 and KA-043 tickets issued worldwide and not limited to tickets issued in Taiwan. Partial refund is also allowed.
And UO's for completeness https://www.hkexpress.com/en-hk/your...tice-covid-19/:

ernestnywang likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
That's crazy. I just read that CX is adding more flights from the US to HK. I wonder how many of those people are willing to fly now that there's mandatory 14 day self-quarantine?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
That's crazy. I just read that CX is adding more flights from the US to HK. I wonder how many of those people are willing to fly now that there's mandatory 14 day self-quarantine?
Place your faith in Carrie or the current occupant in the WH...hmmm....
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tentseller
HK CHP or police will call people under self-quarantine using WhatsApp.
If there is any doubt they will switch to video call and ask to have location service turned on.
Most housing estates have CCTV and watchmen at entrance to verify.
Violators have been fined, there is stronger enforcement available to the authorities. Are violators in SG subjected to local style punishments?

Bolded text is a major concern for many.
Wasn't it reported in the news that a Chinese couple with SG residency facing jail time for lying?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lsquare
​​​​​​
The flights were to get HKers without any needs to be in the US home now that universities are closed including dormitory before the mandatory quarantine cutoff.
​​​​
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.