Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
You’ll win in small claims but you gotta there and join a queue
Will help CX that judiciaries are operating on reduced services due to ChVID
CX is trying (and probably will succeed) that you’d take the refund and move on
Not planning on pursing it as long as the refund actually shows up, which I have no reason to not believe.

I know it's exceptional times and all, but it will be another thing to bear in mind when booking in the future. I have no favourite airlines, it's all a matter of which one I loathe the least.

-A
percysmith, royng and 36902BRF like this.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
On the non-CX front, JL has dropped HKG-TYO to once a day. CX still has a few HND/NRT flights scheduled daily, but I cant imagine all of them will remain in the current climate.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
May I ask if this is cash or miles, and if miles, which programme?
This was a cash itinerary, booking code Business (I), and originally booked through AA.

The original itinerary was:

AA193 (LAX-HKG) > CX925 (HKG-CEB)
CX930 (MNL-HKG) > AA192 (HKG-LAX)

The current itinerary is:

AA8407/JL61 (LAX-NRT) > JL745 (NRT-MNL) > PR1841 (MNL-CEB)
QR929 (MNL-DOH) > QR739 (DOH-LAX)
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:29 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Calling into AM at 6:05 in the morning only takes 7 mins to connect

Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
New data point: CX has cancelled CX712 (SIN-BKK only) for the next 4 weeks, and will refuse to do a reroute via HKG, I will told I will be processed for a refund no matter what I do, and they will provide no rerouting protection for this route. This was in biz and I'm an OWE if that makes any difference.

-A
SIN / BKK is a fifth freedom route for CX. The route via HKG is 10X the price and 5x the time. Pointless not to travel nonstop unless the goal is a layover in HKG. Scoot is $50 nonstop for the 2.5 hour flight.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
SIN / BKK is a fifth freedom route for CX. The route via HKG is 10X the price and 5x the time. Pointless not to travel nonstop unless the goal is a layover in HKG. Scoot is $50 nonstop for the 2.5 hour flight.
10X the price, not necessarily. I've seen it priced similarly on occasion--and at the moment I strongly doubt that they have seat constraints (although since they've decimated service, maybe what remains is full)

I agree that the agent wouldn't necessarily be likely to offer it, but it's reasonable for the OP to expect to be accommodated. Perhaps SIN-KUL-BKK would be seen as reasonable?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by view-with-a-room
I know its a 5th freedom flight, but that's completely irrelevant. CX ticketed me, there were flights, they changed their mind and cancelled flights 5 days after ticketing on it, I was already checked in on the flight when they decided to cancel. First told me they would reroute via HKG and then changed their mind again and basically just offloaded and forcibly refunded me.
It's a convenient flight for someone that primarily flies OW, and I've used it often enough that on most flights I meet crew I know from past flights. And no, on my list of airline loathing, you're not seeing me on Scoot anytime soon. The point wasn't that I could walk dry shod on alternate flights SIN-BKK, it was how CX decided to do this.
I'm sure the refund shows up, so it's not a huge deal beyond how they handled already checked in customers for a flight.

-A
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I agree that the agent wouldn't necessarily be likely to offer it, but it's reasonable for the OP to expect to be accommodated. Perhaps SIN-KUL-BKK would be seen as reasonable?
I was told that them putting me on another airline was just completely off the list of options, from the outset. Even if the cost of sticking me on MH via KUL would likely have netted them a tidy profit, I didn't ask for any specific other routing with other airlines

As I've said in other posts, it's not a huge deal, and I know the circumstances isn't your random tech on a single aircraft, so I'm not pushing things more than I need to. I just wanted to put it in here as a curious way of dealing with a ticketed and checked in business class pax with status.

I'm on SQ up today, on my own dime, and I'm sure it'll be just as nice as CX would have been. I'll quietly sulk over a glass of wine over my OW points and by the end of the day I'll be in another pool. It's hardly the end of the world.

-A
jagmeets likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Our flights SYD-HKG have been cancelled. I am far from surprised. A lot of people heading to HKG last Tuesday were put off by the FAs running around in face masks. I was told that some refused to fly. I didn’t actually witness anything but a lot of noise. Those that we had were perfectly pleasant but one does feel as though one has arrived at the Hygienist. Our flight on to AKL had possibly 45 people aboard. The Wing was deserted. Heartbreaking. The airport was like a Morgue.

Frankly, Cathay must be haemorrhaging money. I hope that they survive.

The entire apron at HKG between the midfield terminal and the maintenance hangars are currently filled back-to-back with parked planes.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I was told that them putting me on another airline was just completely off the list of options, from the outset. Even if the cost of sticking me on MH via KUL would likely have netted them a tidy profit, I didn't ask for any specific other routing with other airlines

As I've said in other posts, it's not a huge deal, and I know the circumstances isn't your random tech on a single aircraft, so I'm not pushing things more than I need to. I just wanted to put it in here as a curious way of dealing with a ticketed and checked in business class pax with status.

I'm on SQ up today, on my own dime, and I'm sure it'll be just as nice as CX would have been. I'll quietly sulk over a glass of wine over my OW points and by the end of the day I'll be in another pool. It's hardly the end of the world.

-A
All fair points. And yes, I'd file it under "annoying bull..." as well. Given the airline is going to be fighting for survival, it would behoove them to THINK a little bit about the longer term consequences of this short term inflexibility when it's really not necessary.

I too am on my way to Thailand. There are worse places to wind up at the end of the day. Unfortunately, unlike you, I'm stuck using Scoot to get there
Old Feb 20, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
at least i didnt have stupid air traffic control circling hk lately
brunos likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
CX will use the common excuse in HK for lateness: "I can't find a parking spot!"
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Looks like CX reduced LAX - HKG to one flight per day in March, and HKG - PEK down to one dragon flight per day.
Not surprising. Same for JFK with EWR cancelled.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: QF
Expert Flyer showing March HKG-YVR flights now 359 from 2x 773 and 1x 359.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: CX Gold
What's the outlook for ZRH flights in April and May? I believe CX already reduced it's ZRH service by 1 flight per week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.