Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:34 pm

I was on IAD-HKG (3/8) and HKG-IAD (3/20). Are these officially canceled? Seems that way from announcements but I can still access the reservation on cathay website.

Side question - I booked these through American with American miles. I called them to ask if flights were canceled and if I could get miles back without refund - they said to reach out to cathay - which seems impossible to reach right now - and odd that American wouldn't handle the return of AA miles.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:39 pm

February Jfk-Hkg-tpe tickets changed to future date, but also interestingly enough the option of a full refund. Booked and changed via Amextravel.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by BrianG86
I was on IAD-HKG (3/8) and HKG-IAD (3/20). Are these officially canceled? Seems that way from announcements but I can still access the reservation on cathay website.

Side question - I booked these through American with American miles. I called them to ask if flights were canceled and if I could get miles back without refund - they said to reach out to cathay - which seems impossible to reach right now - and odd that American wouldn't handle the return of AA miles.
They are cancelled per the notice on the Cathay website here: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...assengers.html . They just aren't showing cancelled on the reservations so the AA CSR sees them as still confirmed which is also what shows on the CX website when you look at reservation. Cathay is saying they are going to provide alternative arrangements but we have no idea what they are though likely they'll change you fly out of/into one of the gateway cities CX will still be flying to in US and via AA from/to Washington. I am guessing when they make the change you can probably cancel for no fee with AA because the times will be very different and AA usually allows free changes/cancellation for significant schedule changes.

Edit: My guess is they are working through the tickets by date so us March folks may have a wait ahead of us before we see our tickets change. I am sure CX is slammed right now.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
They are cancelled per the notice on the Cathay website here: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...assengers.html . They just aren't showing cancelled on the reservations so the AA CSR sees them as still confirmed which is also what shows on the CX website when you look at reservation. Cathay is saying they are going to provide alternative arrangements but we have no idea what they are though likely they'll change to you fly out of/into one of the gateway cities CX will still be flying to and then via AA from/to Washington. I am guessing when the make the change you can probably cancel for no fee with AA because the times will be very different and AA usually allows free changes/cancellation for significant schedule changes.

Edit: My guess is they are working through the tickets by date so us March folks may have a wait ahead of us before we see our tickets change. I am sure CX is slammed right now.

Thanks - that's what I was afraid of. I bet I will get my miles back without issue in the end (or accept the revised routing). The real annoyance will be all the non-refundable short air asia flights I booked around the area between the 2 dates...
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They are cancelled per the notice on the Cathay website here: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...assengers.html . They just aren't showing cancelled on the reservations so the AA CSR sees them as still confirmed which is also what shows on the CX website when you look at reservation. Cathay is saying they are going to provide alternative arrangements but we have no idea what they are though likely they'll change you fly out of/into one of the gateway cities CX will still be flying to in US and via AA from/to Washington. I am guessing when they make the change you can probably cancel for no fee with AA because the times will be very different and AA usually allows free changes/cancellation for significant schedule changes.

What does this mean at that link:

The Americas
  1. All destinations, except flights between Vancouver and New York JFK:

Alternate flight arrangements will be offered to passengers whose journeys have been affected.
  2. Flights between Vancouver and New York JFK:

You can refund any part of your journey that has not been flown.

If you booked directly with us, you can request a refund through Manage Booking. Otherwise, please contact your travel agent.
So SFO-HKG and HKG-SFO flights would be canceled?

My outbound is 10 Feb and return is 25 Feb.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:48 pm

Thanks - that's what I was afraid of. I bet I will get my miles back without issue in the end (or accept the revised routing). The real annoyance will be all the non-refundable short air asia flights I booked around the area between the 2 dates...
Yep I am in a similar boat with some non-refundable reservations in Asia that I'll likely eat all or in part. Also since I booked with Asia Miles I may have to pay the cancellation fee (not clear but the notice doesn't seem to allow fee free refunds).
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
What does this mean at that link:

So SFO-HKG and HKG-SFO flights would be canceled?

My outbound is 10 Feb and return is 25 Feb.
From the link:

Destinations subject to temporary suspension until 28 March 2020 are: London Gatwick, Rome, Washington DC, Newark, Male, Davao, Clark, Jeju, Taichung, and all mainland China cities with the exception of Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu and Xiamen. Start dates for suspensions and frequency reductions are variable.
SFO isn't listed so not cancelled (not to say they might not make some reduction in service).
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

I am on CX SGN-HKG-ORD on 03-18, also with AA miles. Certainly you'd have ask CX whether the flights are cancelled, and as far as I can tell they are not.

There's been discussion on the AA forum about refunds or reroutes under these circumstances. The consensus seems to be that you can get AA to do it, at least for Feb when AA is also not flying HKG,, but not easily; it may require HUCA and/or requesting a supervisor. Status might also help.
bloomz likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

From the link:

SFO isn't listed so not cancelled (not to say they might not make some reduction in service).
I must be losing my mind. I can see no list whatsoever of cancelled flights/origins/destinations at that link. I see a table which lists broad areas, and for each says "Passengers that are affected" and traveling to/from the indicated areas can get alternative arrangements, but who is "affected"? They don't specify that I can tell.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
So my late March CX flight from HKG to PEK has now changed to KA and is set to depart 10min after I arrive from LAX

Suffice to say I won't be making that flight. Hopefully now I can change to fly to HND instead of PEK.
​​​​
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I must be losing my mind. I can see no list whatsoever of cancelled flights/origins/destinations at that link. I see a table which lists broad areas, and for each says "Passengers that are affected" and traveling to/from the indicated areas can get alternative arrangements, but who is "affected"? They don't specify that I can tell.
It is in the Overview section second paragraph.
SpammersAreScum likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
So my late March CX flight from HKG to PEK has now changed to KA and is set to depart 10min after I arrive from LAX

Suffice to say I won't be making that flight. Hopefully now I can change to fly to HND instead of PEK.
​​​​
That is better than when they rebooked my outbound last year year during the service cuts. My onward BKK flight on same PNR was going to leave while I was flying over the arctic circle on my way from IAD to HKG.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It is in the Overview section second paragraph.
Specifically:
Destinations subject to temporary suspension until 28 March 2020 are: London Gatwick, Rome, Washington DC, Newark, Male, Davao, Clark, Jeju, Taichung, and all mainland China cities with the exception of Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu and Xiamen. Start dates for suspensions and frequency reductions are variable.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
Any idea which is the single daily JFK > HKG flight/
Looks like the 9am flight
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:55 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I am going to be interested to see what is provided to IAD folks since it is not like they can move you to another date out of the same city. Right now for my Asia Miles booked ticket it gives me no options online. I assume they will try to route via LAX/SFO/ORD/BOS/JFK and then AA to IAD/DCA but honestly I am not sure I want to to spend 25-30 hours getting back from Bangkok which is what it looks like it would be up from 19 hours.
Spoke to call center again today. MPC desk couldn’t help me for some reason so I had to call the US Sales desk. She said she couldn’t do anything to my reservation at this time because it is still marked as confirmed and not cancelled/suspended. She said as soon as marked as such she would call me back and rebook me over LAX/SFO/JFK. She confirmed that CX would cover the transport on AA or AS to JFK/LAX/SFO and said there shouldn’t be any difference in fare (we all bought tickets over Black Friday weekend when tickets were $600 pp round trip) but I’m a little concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.