Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:04 pm

Follow up on trying to change a date from the CX error fare. The ticket validity period ends 2/##/20, because my initial flight was 2/##/2019. They won't let me change to a later date (before June 30 2020), despite their waiver saying that date changes would adjust the ticket expiry date. There must be a different definition for validity vs expiry they are using. Will try to call one more time tonight/tomorrow, but otherwise may just roll the dice on a 2 hour transit in HKG. If anyone has a counter datapoint, let me know.
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have 8 layovers on 4 separate CX tickets (CX to CX transits, never entering the country) in HKG coming up in March from/to CGK. TPE, CTS, CNX and BKK all part of a one big tip. If any of those countries decide to ban transit travel from HK my whole trip will be in scrambles because of fairly creative routing I have in place including prepaid hotels. Also because of the creative routing issue I doubt my travel insurance will pick up the cost.

From what I've read above there currently isn't any way CX would let me reroute or cancel but in case such travel bans would be put in place that would affect my ability to enter my country of destination would CX let me reroute? Or should I just try and make alternative arrangements by booking cancellable awards as much as I currently can?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:42 pm

CX865 JFK-YVR inventory has been zeroed out Feb 19 onwards on Expertflyer. Chopping block?
iletired likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: Natl EE, DL, Aeroplan
CX865 JFK-YVR inventory has been zeroed out Feb 19 onwards on Expertflyer. Chopping block?
I hope not. Booked on that route on the 19th. Just did a dummy booking on CX website for the 20th and its still showing CX 865 available to book from JFK to HKG.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Looks like my flight to Chiang Mai might be cancelled too on 20th- KA232 - dont have access to EF however had weird error in mmb earlier, the flight is not showing up as bookable from any website however mmb is now showing the flight again.
Eagle2000 likes this.

Last edited by SW7London; Feb 4, 2020 at 4:37 pm
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: WY SL, EK Gold, CX MPO
Does anyone have any more insight into whats going on with the MXP/FCO flights? Government announced ban on 30 Jan for all flights to hk. CX only cancelled flights up to 8th Jan. Don't see how they could possible operate the flights next week legally? Totally useless and unhelpful advice from CX, "it's too early to tell, your flight is scheduled to operate as normal". Why don't they just cancel the flight and rebook pax? Do they think they can negotiate with the Italian ministry of health lol
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by triks
I'll be flying from MSP to YVR on a separate itinerary. My return flight actually goes through Dubai on EK back to the US, so I'm not worried about transit through Canada. I could technically lie that I was never in HKG when arriving back in the US, but it's not something that I would prefer to do.

what if the US puts transit restrictions on Canada?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by SW7London
Looks like my flight to Chiang Mai might be cancelled too on 20th- KA232 - dont have access to EF however had weird error in mmb earlier, the flight is not showing up as bookable from any website however mmb is now showing the flight again.
Availability is zeroed out, but the flight currently is still there.
SW7London likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Do I wear an N95 mask? Clorox wipe down the surfaces? Is that overkill?
N95 is definitely an overkill. A surgical mask works just as well in this case.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
guessing that it is saving the space for EWR HKG cancellation as it is all zero out
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Hong Kong is not included per below DHS doc....

From here: https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...tion-frn-2.pdf .
So all HK residents (with a valid US visa) can still land in the US even if they are not US citizens?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I hope not either. I got a flight in March and it appears my flight is still active.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:48 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Newark7; Feb 4, 2020 at 8:51 pm Reason: Repost
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Part ot the problem here might be that the ticket was purchased through an OLTA, Vayama. You might want to look at the discussion about this outfit in the OLTA forum here on FT.
I finally got Vayama to process the refund, but after an absolute nightmare of long phone holds and being run around between CX Customer Service & Vayama’s call center staff who were ill informed of CX‘s refund fee waivers due to the Corona Virus. 5 hours of total hold time & burning up my Skype credits to call HK (CX’s US number constantly disconnects after about 30 seconds), but I should be getting my $133 back. A lot of work for not much, but it’s the principle
bloomz likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Newark7
I finally got Vayama to process the refund, but after an absolute nightmare of long phone holds and being run around between CX Customer Service & Vayama’s call center staff who were ill informed of CX‘s refund fee waivers due to the Corona Virus. 5 hours of total hold time & burning up my Skype credits to call HK (CX’s US number constantly disconnects after about 30 seconds), but I should be getting my $133 back. A lot of work for not much, but it’s the principle

Glad that it worked out for you, but this is exactly why I like booking my airfare directly with the airlines

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.