Lounges in SFO, HKG and BKK?

Old Jan 21, 20, 12:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Lounges in SFO, HKG and BKK?

Flying a J award, SFO-HKG-BKK, HKG-SFO, next month. No status with CX or oW.

Also flying BKK-HKG in coach.

So does CX have a lounge at SFO or would be an AA Flagship lounge?

I would imagine a CX biz lounge at HKG? I have Priority Pass but I would assume the CX/AA offerings at SFO and HKG are better?

In BKK, would there be a CX/oW lounge for coach? I am also *A Gold but don't know what Thai Airlines would have.
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Flying a J award, SFO-HKG-BKK, HKG-SFO, next month. No status with CX or oW.

Also flying BKK-HKG in coach.

I would imagine a CX biz lounge at HKG? I have Priority Pass but I would assume the CX/AA offerings at SFO and HKG are better?

In BKK, would there be a CX/oW lounge for coach? I am also *A Gold but don't know what Thai Airlines would have.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...l-lounges.html

CX operates own lounges at SFO HKG BKK.

There are a few lounges at HKG.

If you connect from BKK-HKG to HKG-SFO on the same day, you will be invited to use CX BKK lounge too on your long haul’s account. Otherwise, you can use one of the many PP/Loungekey lounges.
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, no I'm not connecting BKK-HKG and HKG-SFO on the same day unfortunately.

Planning to spend a few days in HK then fly back.
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
In BKK, would there be a CX/oW lounge for coach?
No, not since you have no OW status. Use PP. There's a Miracle Lounge near where the CX lounge is.
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:30 pm

No AA Flagship, but on the floor (if I recall correctly) of CX's lounge there's also JL's lounge. If you have time, you should be able to gain entry and check it out since you're already there.

Only downside with SFO's CX lounge is their noodle bar is subpar, in my view. Their version of the Dan Dan Noodles is nothing like the ones in HK/Asia.
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

There is also the BA lounge at SFO close to CX lounge.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 21, 20, 2:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So which is the “best” out of these oW lounges at SFO?
Old Jan 21, 20, 2:40 pm

If I recall, BA's was under renovation? I haven't been there, assuming that it's opened now.

I probably prefer the CX one, if only because I'm used to their theme and find some of their seating more comfortable and some of their seats offer a little more privacy. The food is adequate and along with Noodles (won ton & dan dan), there's usually some other dish too. The buffet spread is decent enough with a sandwich bar in a different section where, though I've never ordered one, I think you can order a specific type of sandwich. What I really like is an actual person with whom you order whatever kind of coffee you prefer.

The JL lounge has some comfortable chairs, but they're a little more open and lack the private individual ones, if I recall. Also, the food is different and has a selection of rolls, and some different types of food. If I recall, there was a selection of Japanese Beers and Sake there? Unless it's within an hour or two of a departing flight, this lounge tends to be less crowded, if that's important to you.

PS - You also have access to T2's AC, but not sure if there's any reason to go there.
Old Jan 21, 20, 3:45 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
So which is the “best” out of these oW lounges at SFO?
I would say the CX lounge is better than the JL and the BA lounge.
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:54 pm

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
there's also JL's lounge.
Not worth it.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

There is also the BA lounge at SFO close to CX lounge.

Regards

TBS
BA lounge is in the terminal, compared to CX which is right after security, a floor up and down the hall.

Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
If I recall, BA's was under renovation? I haven't been there, assuming that it's opened now.

PS - You also have access to T2's AC, but not sure if there's any reason to go there.
Renovations are done. T2 AC, will need to clear security 2x and there should be no reason to go at all.
SFO British Airways Lounge
SFO - Best Emerald Lounge

Essentially CX>BA>JL>AC
Since you're flying CX, as in you will arrive before the flight, this will be the best option with food and drink fully stocked. BA is nice and new, but they never feed you substantially. JL is literally a waiting room, with food and lesser drink than BA and CX.

Here are some pictures I have taken in the CX lounge when it was pared down during non-CX flights. Before flights they'll add 5 hot dishes, noodle bar, champagne and a few other snacks.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30588788-post20.html
Old Jan 22, 20, 5:15 am

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by safari ari View Post

Essentially CX>BA>JL>AC
Have not been to the renovated BA lounge, but I second this.

Note: AC refers to AA Admirals Club here in case anyone is confused.
Old Jan 22, 20, 9:33 am

I've lost track of all your requirements and ins and outs of the various stops so my comments may not apply. If you use a CX business lounge at HKG - The Pier near gate 65 is by far the best. Teahouse, yoga lounge, dining area, other amenities. If you have a long layover and stop at one of the other lounges, lounge staff often recommends walking down to The Pier, even if far from your departure gate. It's worth the trek.

Bangkok lounge was less than appealing during my last stop.
Old Jan 22, 20, 9:39 am

Programs: AS, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by FlyerfromORD View Post

Bangkok lounge was less than appealing during my last stop.
BKK lounge is fine, it is updated to the current CX lounge aesthetics, but it is definitely on the small side and crowded considering BA and other OW use it as well. It is what you expect from an outstation and close to the gate, but pales in comparison to HKG (obviously).
Old Jan 22, 20, 9:44 am

RE: HKG Pier

This is one of my favorite lounges, and I often prefer hanging out here than Pier F, unless I need one of the day suites for a nap, shower or restaurant dining. Tip for the OP. When you enter, walk straight into the lounge into an area where there are are a set of leather reclining club chairs facing the terminal with full ottomans along side table with chargers. Make your place here if one of them are available, and then go and dine wherever the time comes, e.g., dine at the table at the noodle bar, the main food service section, visit the tea room, etc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: