Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

F experience on late-night HKG departures

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/2MM

Hello,

I've flown CX before so am generally familiar with the service in J/F classes. However, I'm contemplating taking the HKG-MXP flight later this year and am somewhat unsure about the level of service and the overall "F experience" considering the 1am departure from HKIA.

I searched a bit on here, but other than the mention of "supper service" in place of the full dinner service in J, didn't find anything to calm my uncertainty.

Essentially, if the expectation from the cabin crew is going to be - get on board, go to sleep and then breakfast in Milan - I'll just do business instead of the additional premium for first class.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
  1. I'm interested in this question as well. I have a HKG > JFK first class flight that departs HKG around 1 or 2am.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / OWE
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
Hello,

I've flown CX before so am generally familiar with the service in J/F classes. However, I'm contemplating taking the HKG-MXP flight later this year and am somewhat unsure about the level of service and the overall "F experience" considering the 1am departure from HKIA.

I searched a bit on here, but other than the mention of "supper service" in place of the full dinner service in J, didn't find anything to calm my uncertainty.

Essentially, if the expectation from the cabin crew is going to be - get on board, go to sleep and then breakfast in Milan - I'll just do business instead of the additional premium for first class.

Thanks in advance,
Bill
You will have the option form supper after take-off, or whenever you like. Thats the beauty of F class.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:04 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM, SQ Krisflyer Elite Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Although it is branded as ‘supper’ it feels to me as if it’s a standard meal service? I generally fly to and from London so on the 251/255 normally. I guess the only main thing about these flights are some people may just opt for a quick meal before bed or have the full service which generally takes about 2 hours ish? My anecdotal experience is that there’s always turbulence once mean service begins and they will have to delay it due to not being able to serve the soup or anything in general. Sometimes I’m so tired I just want to sleep halfway during meal service so my opinion is that if you want to fully enjoy F meals perhaps save some energy during the day for your flight
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:44 pm

For first class, supper and dinner are not that different, unlike in business class. You pretty much get the same caviar service and the same number of courses, and I think the main difference is that you get one less Western main course choice. Just check out the F menu threads for actual menu!

Plus as many mentions here, as long as you inform the F/A in advance [so they can save your preferred choices...], you can have the "supper" at whatever time you want.

Carfield
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
My guess is cabin crew will be sleepy/tired, no matter how much they prepare or sleep well beforehand. I mean, I certainly would be. My level of fatigue affects the way I interact with others and they must be no different -- in other words, I am far more cranky than usual when I am tired. hehe.

Personally I'd do business because I usually sleep a lot on that route. I fly the HK to Europe midnight-or-later routes often and the timing is really really nice: a long night of sleep, wake up, and although it's 4:30am local, you're almost there. Push through some afternoon tiredness in a long day upon arrival, and then no more jet lag thereafter.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Originally Posted by sombrachinesca
Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Bill
I take the HKG - SFO late-night departure every other month. The first class service offered is the same as any other CX flight and, as mentioned, you can have what you want, when you want. Just keep in mind that most of your fellow travelers will go to sleep right after take-off so, if you do the opposite (eat first, sleep later), you may be disturbed by the others being served while you are trying to sleep. I am a light sleeper and it makes me crazy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.