Cost cuttings in CX J?

Old Jan 11, 20, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Cost cuttings in CX J?

I flew YYZ-HKG yesterday in CX J last night. This was my first long haul CX flight in about 20 years, and previous ones were mainly in F,
so perhaps my expectations were a bit too high?

While the seat and hard product in the 350 were fine, I felt let down by the little things:
No socks in the amenity kit - I like to change socks on a 15 hour flight.
No canapes served between first drink service and start of first meal.
No salt and pepper served with the meal - I like to put them on my salad. It was 2 missed call buttons and about 12-15 minutes to get salt and pepper.
No sugar served with coffee - again, in the time it took to get sugar, my coffee went cold.
Main meal service dragged, and dragged, and dragged. No response to call button. It seemed that there were just 2 or 3 attendants to serve 42 passengers - not enough.

On the plus side: the mid-flight ham,burger was fantastic - better than SQ's BTC burger. Best I have had on a plane.
IFE was good.
And the bed was a good size, although not padded enough for my liking.

It seems as though CX J is trying to approach the levels of the Chinese carriers or the US3, rather than striving to a cut above all others.
True?
Old Jan 11, 20, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
It seems as though CX J is trying to approach the levels of the Chinese carriers or the US3, rather than striving to a cut above all others.
True?
I don't think so. With the bedding and seat it is not anywhere near the Chinese carriers or US3. The new concept J dining is hard to execute, even more so if the cabin is full. If you were bothered by the lack of attentiveness a quick word with the SP should have solved things, but generally it makes sense to eat something in the lounge, eat light on the 1st meal service and then go to bed.
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA 1.69MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
I flew YYZ-HKG yesterday in CX J last night. This was my first long haul CX flight in about 20 years, and previous ones were mainly in F,
so perhaps my expectations were a bit too high?

While the seat and hard product in the 350 were fine, I felt let down by the little things:
No socks in the amenity kit - I like to change socks on a 15 hour flight.
No canapes served between first drink service and start of first meal.
No salt and pepper served with the meal - I like to put them on my salad. It was 2 missed call buttons and about 12-15 minutes to get salt and pepper.
No sugar served with coffee - again, in the time it took to get sugar, my coffee went cold.
Main meal service dragged, and dragged, and dragged. No response to call button. It seemed that there were just 2 or 3 attendants to serve 42 passengers - not enough.

On the plus side: the mid-flight ham,burger was fantastic - better than SQ's BTC burger. Best I have had on a plane.
IFE was good.
And the bed was a good size, although not padded enough for my liking.

True?
Should have the socks in the amenity kit -> You can ask the FA for another one if that's really the case.

Salt&Pepper -> Yes I found that to be quite alarming.

I do see the amenity kit losing the pen.

Padding can be better.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:38 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Originally Posted by Unionruler View Post
but generally it makes sense to eat something in the lounge, eat light on the 1st meal service and then go to bed.
Practical at Plaza Premium Lounge Toronto Cathay in Toronto ?

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky View Post
I do see the amenity kit losing the pen.
Did J amenity kit ever have pens? I'm too young.

The only amenity kit I've got with pen is LA J's.

(I'll resist the temptation to cross-post the pen incident here)
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:41 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
Yes the CX J kit never had a pen. I expect the loss of the socks is due to the addition of slippers.

There have never been canapés in J before the main service - just nuts.

Most of the other complaints boil down to a bad crew.
FlyPointyEnd likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Yes the CX J kit never had a pen. I expect the loss of the socks is due to the addition of slippers.

CX did offer canapés pre - SARS in J class
Old Jan 11, 20, 10:04 pm

I've learned to ask for the salt & pepper as the meal is being presented.
Old Jan 11, 20, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by DH188 View Post
I've learned to ask for the salt & pepper as the meal is being presented.
I haven't had to add salt for CX (or generally any airline food) yet - and according to people around me, I am quite a savoury eater.

Airline food comes with enough salt.
Old Jan 11, 20, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
On my December flight from JFK to HKG, there was no arrival meal. For me, it was okay, as I ate a late mid-flight meal; and with landing time in the mid-to-late afternoon (local) or middle of the night at origin, I didn't feel particularly hungry. Actually, it was perfectly timed, and allowed me to have dinner appetite at the normal time (around 6pm), a few hours after arrival.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 3:34 am

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | A-Club Silver | AA EXP
I expect the loss of the socks is due to the addition of slippers.
All flights where amenity kits are provided or just long-haul? No slippers on my mid-haul flight last week. I didn't open the amenity kit to see if socks were included.
Old Jan 12, 20, 3:45 am

Programs: SOUTHWEST A-LIST, HH GOLD, SPG GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
Originally Posted by Rivarix View Post
All flights where amenity kits are provided or just long-haul? No slippers on my mid-haul flight last week. I didn't open the amenity kit to see if socks were included.
The socks are gone in the new Bamford amenity kit with that introduction of slippers.

Bad move. I really liked wearing those socks in flight

I’m not sure if flights without slippers (KA regional) have socks in the Bamford kit now. I got a kit yesterday but never opened it to check
Old Jan 12, 20, 3:56 am

Programs: AA 1.69MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM 1K *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC

I remembered I had the green Cathay Pacific pen, but honestly forgot if I got it from the amenity kit or forgot to return it to the FA. Or F Amenity Kit long time ago?
Old Jan 12, 20, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky View Post
I remembered I had the green Cathay Pacific pen, but honestly forgot if I got it from the amenity kit or forgot to return it to the FA. Or F Amenity Kit long time ago?
You used to get the pen when you get the paper survey. I remember the days when we used to do the survey as a form of IFE.
kijhkijh and Markie like this.

Last edited by percysmith; Jan 12, 20 at 4:53 am
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:21 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG/MR Plat
Anyone noticed the real cost-cutting in J: the replacement of dental floss+toothpick with a simple toothpick?
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jan 12, 20, 5:25 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I guess maybe chinese people has no interest in salt and pepper... so they make it optional...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: