Cathay in Toronto

Old Jan 7, 20, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Cathay in Toronto

Solely for personal interest.. was flying from YYZ on CX a few days ago and noticed this “25 years in Toronto” graphic CX put up in the check in counters.

Does anyone happen to know/ remember the following?
  1. Where did CX stop for fuel en route to Toronto back then? Was it Vancouver?
  2. Was CX the first to offer this route or did Canadian do this route first?
  3. Any other interesting tidbits welcomed
Old Jan 7, 20, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Central90210 View Post
Solely for personal interest.. was flying from YYZ on CX a few days ago and noticed this “25 years in Toronto” graphic CX put up in the check in counters.

Does anyone happen to know/ remember the following?
  1. Where did CX stop for fuel en route to Toronto back then? Was it Vancouver?
  2. Was CX the first to offer this route or did Canadian do this route first?
  3. Any other interesting tidbits welcomed
ANC. YVR was used briefly after 9/11

Dont think CP ever launched YYZ-HKG as same plane service?
Old Jan 7, 20, 11:18 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire
I flew this route first time in 2004 and then regularly since 2006.

At my time it was an A340-300 with fuel stop at Anchorage. Afterwards for awhile they changed to Vancouver, then eventually back to Anchorage eventually.
The fuel stop at Anchorage also changed from staying onboard to having to deplane into a small area with ~3 customs counter checking everyone's passport.

Then eventually they switched to the A340-600 (with First Class still) doing non-stop. And then the 777-300ER came (Hardshell Y I believe at first + Herringbone J), then Cirrus J and PEY got introduced along with new 3-3-3 Y seats, and now the 3-4-3 Y seats.

Flight number at the A340 days used to be CX828/829.

Then when it became non-stop it was CX826/829.
Then the second daily on Sun/Wed/Fri was CX828/825.
Then for one or two summers they went double daily but the flight number and timings for the day flights were off a little bit than CX828/825, so they named it CX824/823.

CX828/825 just went A350-1000 a few months ago now as you know.

Let's see whether they can eventually support double daily again.
somemale likes this.
Old Jan 8, 20, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by etkuo View Post
I flew this route first time in 2004 and then regularly since 2006.

At my time it was an A340-300 with fuel stop at Anchorage. Afterwards for awhile they changed to Vancouver, then eventually back to Anchorage eventually.
The fuel stop at Anchorage also changed from staying onboard to having to deplane into a small area with ~3 customs counter checking everyone's passport.

Then eventually they switched to the A340-600 (with First Class still) doing non-stop. And then the 777-300ER came (Hardshell Y I believe at first + Herringbone J), then Cirrus J and PEY got introduced along with new 3-3-3 Y seats, and now the 3-4-3 Y seats.

Flight number at the A340 days used to be CX828/829.

Then when it became non-stop it was CX826/829.
Then the second daily on Sun/Wed/Fri was CX828/825.
Then for one or two summers they went double daily but the flight number and timings for the day flights were off a little bit than CX828/825, so they named it CX824/823.

CX828/825 just went A350-1000 a few months ago now as you know.

I forgot but when the launched it with the 744. During certain months they can do oneway nonstop
Old Jan 8, 20, 1:36 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Winter non-stop on 3-class A343 HKG-YYZ?

YYZ-HKG probably wasn't doable non-stop with A343/B744.
Old Jan 8, 20, 5:56 am

Programs: QF WP, VA
My first major trip as a child was MEL-HKG-YYZ in 1995. Can't remember whether it was an A340 or 747, but the views on landing in ANC were spectaular. The terminal there was so spacious with a viewing deck in the restricted area! (Remember at the time CLK wasn't open then).
It was definitely a A340 by 1997 when I went back again.
I remembered going non stop eastwards in Winter 2003 but requiring a stop in YVR on the return. At that time we weren't allowed to disembark and the cleaners had to work around us.
Old Jan 8, 20, 7:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Marco Polo, Skywards, Etihad Guest, IHG
I've been flying HKG-YYZ regularly (at least once per year) since 2002. I must say that I do miss the tech stop at ANC. like other posters have mentioned, the view before landing was majestic, very spectacular. The brief stop in YVR was also not that bad. I still remember vividly how sluggish the take off and climb when a340 still served the route. It would stick to FL270-290 for a while before it was able to climb higher to FL300+. Usually only after we passed Japan were we able to climb higher.
Old Jan 8, 20, 7:22 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Yes, back in those days all west-bound transPacific flights from YYZ ( and New York, etc) would stop in ANC for re-fuelling.
I recall the stops with KE, CX and PA.
Old Jan 8, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: AC*E
this means i've lived in ontario for 25 yrs.

my dad moved from CX HKG to CX YYZ at CX Cargo.

The stop in Alaska was great because it broke up the long trip for my restless 13yr old self
Old Jan 8, 20, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by etkuo View Post
I don't remember how long CX offered year-round double daily flights but I suspect it was only for 1-2 years (around 2011). When they went from double daily to +/- 10x weekly flights, they maintained roughly the same weekly seat count thanks to the introduction of the no-F/smaller J 77Ws.

I'm obviously a fan of Cathay in Toronto
Old Jan 8, 20, 10:29 am

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
CP was flying with stops and/or plane change in YVR/NRT(HND)

My first flight ever was CP HKG HND ANC(refuel only) YVR YYZ on a DC-8 in 1967.

I remembered when CX started offering YYZ HKG service there was joy in the older former HKers as they can now get real Chinese catering.

Last edited by tentseller; Jan 8, 20 at 9:47 pm
Old Jan 8, 20, 11:44 am

Programs: CX MPC GO, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CXYYZ View Post
I don't remember how long CX offered year-round double daily flights but I suspect it was only for 1-2 years (around 2011). When they went from double daily to +/- 10x weekly flights, they maintained roughly the same weekly seat count thanks to the introduction of the no-F/smaller J 77Ws.

I'm obviously a fan of Cathay in Toronto
Looks like summer 2017 they did double daily.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ervice-in-s17/
Old Jan 8, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Any other interesting tidbits welcomed
Inaugurated on 9 June 1994. I guess the 25-year sign would have been there for several months?
Old Jan 8, 20, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
CX and CI were the last two ANC passenger flight fuel stop holdovers. I don’t remember the exact year CX eliminated the stop, but seem to recall it being 2009 or 2010.

CI held on a bit longer but eventually dumped it as well. CI actually had a decent local following in ANC because they sold tickets on the ANC-TPE leg, thus being the last carrier to offer nonstop ANC-Asia service.

CX never sold ANC-HKG, so ANC was solely a gas station and perhaps a crew change stop for Cathay.
Old Jan 8, 20, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Was CX the first to offer this route or did Canadian do this route first?
I believe Canadian did first. CX saw the massive migration and introduced its service.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: