Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM, LM, Avios

Could anyone do a quick check on the chance of CX838 HKG-YVR on 19 Jan clearing the waitlist ? I would very much need to fly on this flight and waitlisted in all 3 classes (Y,PEY,J).

Thanks a lot.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, HSBC Premier, MPC Silver, SPG Gold
Hello again, May I please trouble one of you to please check the loads on the following flights:

Jan 6 CX845 JFK-HKG
Jan 6 CX899 EWR-HKG

For 2ppl

My redemption waitlist is dropped but I have PE (R) tickets awaiting for possible upgrade, doesn't look too good but still hoping for a last min upgrade at check in. Any advice? Thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by pandoracrystal
Hello again, May I please trouble one of you to please check the loads on the following flights:

Jan 6 CX845 JFK-HKG
Jan 6 CX899 EWR-HKG

For 2ppl

My redemption waitlist is dropped but I have PE (R) tickets awaiting for possible upgrade, doesn't look too good but still hoping for a last min upgrade at check in. Any advice? Thank you!
EF showing the following for Jan 6
CX845 - F1 A0 Z0 J4 C4 D3 I3 U W2 R2 E1 T0 Y3 B2 H1 K1 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0
CX899 - J4 C3 D3 I3 U W2 R1 E1 T1 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

It's tight both showing 4 J seats available. Just a tad more economy seats available on CX845 but I'd bet those sell before departure. It really is a tossup, hard to predict.

I've been negative on trying to get J upgrades on CX899, since there's just lesser seats available on the A359 and since they introduced it from EWR getting an upgrade has been more difficult. However, CX845 is a very popular flight and I've seen that flight sell out last minute. If J class holds at 4 available seats, I would expect an op-up or two on either of those flights. Although if I were holding an R class ticket, I'd try to burn the miles and get the most value out of the ticket.

My gut favors CX845 in this situation but could be my breakfast speaking to me.

Which flight are you booked on? Since waitlist has expired, I would call MPC daily and ask them to check availability. Do you have status? If so, you should get through quickly and the can tell you fast. At T-4 days, all waitlists expire and it's a first-come, first-served situation if anything pops up. Although I doubt you will get 2 upgrade confirmations. If you can't get a confirmation definitely show up early at the airport and try to confirm an instant upgrade.

Flights this weekend from NYC-HKG have been tight for weeks. I opted to go back to HK before Jan 1. I'm glad I did, got a good J class fare on AMEX and managed to snag an upgrade to F.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:19 pm

Thank you so much again for the insight! Yes I have guessed that much... I have been calling MPC whenever I have time few times a day but lowly Silver won't get me too far. I was having problem booking JFK route back then when all PE tickets were showing unavail so I booked out of EWR CX899 in the end.. so now just hoping for a last min change the day of. Our 2nd leg is from HKG to ADL which would cost us extra 18k to upgrade if we can't do both legs together, just the way it is.

Just to try our luck, I also held a pair of full redemption tickets from JFK-HKG (waitlist), HKG-ADL(confirmed) and EWR-HKG (waitlist), HKG-ADL (comfirmed), interesting enough, the hold won't expire until Jan 5. Will report back!

All is fun, we have a lot of miles to burn before it expires but hopefully when the new rules on no expiration date on miles will ease the need to burn them every 3 years.
beirush228 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
All is fun, we have a lot of miles to burn before it expires but hopefully when the new rules on no expiration date on miles will ease the need to burn them every 3 years.
Just beware, that if CX899 upgrade works out, your only option might be the dreaded 11 D/G seats. Here's the current EF seatmap for J on Jan 6 CX899. I'd guess that 11 D/G and 19 D/G are the remaining open seats. Of course if flying as a couple, 19 D/G would be preferred.

Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:58 pm

Ouch... thank you for the heads up... i can't say i like any of the remaining seats but it is what it is!! I shall report back in a few days, thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by thepsych
Could anyone do a quick check on the chance of CX838 HKG-YVR on 19 Jan clearing the waitlist ? I would very much need to fly on this flight and waitlisted in all 3 classes (Y,PEY,J).

Thanks a lot.
19 Jan
CX 838HKG 16:00 → YVR 11:35

J0 C0 D0 I0 U W9 R9 E0 T0 Y6 B5 H5 K4 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:34 pm

Hello, new member here. I would like to ask for help for checking the loads on my 2 Asia Miles standard award waitlist redemptions:
1) March 11, 2020: CX 506 HKG - KIX in Economy
2) March 16, 2020: CX 561 KIX-HKG in Business

Sincerely appreciate the help.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by julianwong
Hello, new member here. I would like to ask for help for checking the loads on my 2 Asia Miles standard award waitlist redemptions:
1) March 11, 2020: CX 506 HKG - KIX in Economy
2) March 16, 2020: CX 561 KIX-HKG in Business

Sincerely appreciate the help.
I9 Q9
I9 V9 Q0

But so? It's Japan. Maybe if you started from and ended in Bangkok you'd clear right away.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:48 am

Wait list on Asia Miles? HKG to MAD

Hello I'm a miles newbie!

I've found a flight from AMS to HKG on business (confirmed)
but on the way back - HKG to MAD (CX315 direct) (biz choice award) is waitlist for Mar 7, 8,10, 12 & 14.

If I book one of these dates & it's not confirmed do they offer me the other dates?

Is it strange that so many dates are waitlisted?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:47 am

Programs: Cathay, Singpapore Airlines, AA
Originally Posted by jdmp
I've got a Business Class redemption seat on CX888 HK to Vancouver on Feb 21st. Also waitlisted for First Class on the same flight (have been waitlisted for several months). Can anyone see how many First seats are still up for grabs on this flight? Thanks!
Sorry for the repost -- Could anyone help me out with CX888 HKG to YVR on Feb 21st? Is a First Class redemption likely to clear? Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
I have a kind of dummy question.
I have redeemed NRT-YVR-HKG on J for 90K AM for 2020 Dec Xmas time. I had no choice but to book a same day return right away as I saw the NRT-YVR leg was snapped as quicky as YVR-HKG leg.
My question is how much will it cost to change the date on later dates once YVR-HKG opens up to dates I want to fly in. Or do they want me to cancel and rebook the ticket? Just can't change it online on CX website as it was booked as Partner Airline Redemption.
Many thanks in advance...
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:06 pm

4,000 am or us$40
Wongo likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:08 pm

Just to try our luck, I also held a pair of full redemption tickets from JFK-HKG (waitlist), HKG-ADL(confirmed) and EWR-HKG (waitlist), HKG-ADL (comfirmed), interesting enough, the hold won't expire until Jan 5. Will report back!
As it turns out, hubby’s full redemption from EWR to HKG/HKG to ADL cleared first this morning, upon calling MPC to link our booking and put on priority, mine was cleared this afternoon. Now we have 24hours to decide if we should take it or try our luck on the upgrade at check in... either way it’s a pleasant surprise! Thanks again for sharing the info!
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:10 pm

I might have multiple changes coming up. Will MPC waive any re-issue fee? it's for award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.