Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Someone cleared an upgrade perhaps
So should I book business class and upgrade to first? Are you saying that is a better way to guarantee me first than being on the first waiting list?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:17 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Huntah
So should I book business class and upgrade to first?
That should have higher priority than waitlisting for straight First award.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by shipcamein
If I book a one way with a stop over -

Can I wait list a different flight for the first leg only?

Thanks.
Yes. Ticket the cleared one-way with stopover then waitlist.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:46 pm

Although I got confirmed over a week ago, my CX105 flight in March (HKG > MEL) has been confirmed. Although I'm not 100% on the current loads, it was good I got it confirmed as they cancelled the earlier flight only a short time later.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:01 pm

I was looking for 4 economy award tickets from HKG to CNX. Total redemption value is 40K Asia miles. I had 29K in my account (transferred from Citi TY points). I was unable to waitlist online (was getting an error that I didn't have enough miles - although 29K is more than 70% of 40k). I chatted with AM rep and she created the waitlist for me.

Then I asked her to create the waitlist for another day (same itinerary, same group of people). She replied that AM members are allowed to have only one waitlist, and Marco Polo Club members can have up to 3 waitlists.

Is this info correct?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:26 pm

Compliant per latest party line.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:43 am

I currently have this flight fully confirmed, however, due to coronavirus restrictions on her other flights I'm trying to book my companion on the same flight with this result:

Itinerary :
CX565 27MAR TPEHKG depart at 1930 and arrive at 2130 confirmed on business class
CX844 30MAR HKGJFK depart at 0200 and arrive at 0600 waitlist on business class

I asked the Web Chat agent to book this flight and if he could help me push through the waitlist. In the past once, on the phone, the agent was able to push me through the waitlist. (I've tried calling in 3 times a day, all with 50+ min waits before I gave up).

The response from the Web Chat agent went like this:

(08:12:21) ME: once this is complete, would you be able to help me book this exact same flight, for my redemption member [XXX]?
(08:12:59) ME: on Cathay I see 27Mar TPE > HKG is available. However, 30Mar HKG > JFK is waitlist. If there is any way you can help me with the waitlist, due to these circumstances, I would be very grateful.
[agent spent some time confirming flights]
(08:19:57) ME: would you be able to help me push through the waitlist?
(08:20:35) ME: I would be really grateful especially given these circumstances
(08:20:40) Sam: No worries! Once your requested flight is confirmed, you will receive the notification.
(08:20:53) ME: ok. Then I confirm.
(08:21:08) Sam: You are welcome! We will now close the chat. Please contact us again if you need any further help. Have a nice day!
(08:21:10) *** Sam left the chat ***

The agent left quite abruptly, and I immediately got the waitlist email but no issue email. How likely is my flight? I feel like he made me feel like he could help me out and then left me hanging.

Thank you for your time in advance.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:55 am

1. Agents have no power to push thru waitlists. Unless you’re DM, redeeming for yourself. Sam’s just set up the waitlist then will let Revenue you around with you like Catbert.

2. HKG-JFK is in a state of flux due to cancellation of IAD and frequency cancellations elsewhere.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Sam’s just set up the waitlist then will let Revenue you around with you like Catbert.

I don't understand the reference sorry! Do you just mean I'm sort of at the whim of the gods right now?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by arduouspaths
I don't understand the reference sorry! Do you just mean I'm sort of at the whim of the gods right now?
Are the deities who run Revenue Management gods? I don't have access to a theologian...

Yeah. You are...
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by danukraine

Then I asked her to create the waitlist for another day (same itinerary, same group of people). She replied that AM members are allowed to have only one waitlist, and Marco Polo Club members can have up to 3 waitlists.

Is this info correct?
That is nonsense. I am a lowly MPC green member and I have over a dozen waitlists (albeit DIY on cx.com and not via the call center).

But while I was making my waitlist bookings online, I did get this message "Sorry, but you can only make 10 online reservations per day. Please contact us for further information. (6100)"

Last edited by carrotjuice; Feb 17, 2020 at 4:09 pm
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
"Sorry, but you can only make 10 online reservations per day. Please contact us for further information. (6100)"
To clarify, I found out that this "10 per day" is not by calendar day, but within 24 hours from the moment you make the first reservation, then the counter resets and you can proceed to waitlist more.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
That is nonsense. I am a lowly MPC green member and I have over a dozen waitlists (albeit DIY on cx.com and not via the call center).

But while I was making my waitlist bookings online, I did get this message "Sorry, but you can only make 10 online reservations per day. Please contact us for further information. (6100)"
OP didn't have 100% of required miles.

So he needs to go via phone and be subject to all those internal memo rules.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:04 am

I have another question about this. If someone booked first waiting list on first choice 187,500 miles instead of the standard 125,000 miles as I did, then would they also jump over me?
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Huntah
I have another question about this. If someone booked first waiting list on first choice 187,500 miles instead of the standard 125,000 miles as I did, then would they also jump over me?
Of course. Like F will clear before A (if on revenue First waitlist).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.