Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Corporate Travel Agent/CX Point of Sale Issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I am trying to book HKG-LHR on CX239 on 2019.01.11 in business class. As I am booking this for business travel, I have to use our corporate travel agent. The (US based) corporate travel agent I am working with claims that they only see J space at a cost of $9158 one way. When I look at expert flyer, I see no availability with a US Point of Sale, however with a Hong Kong point of sale I see much more availability.

This aligns with what I see on Google Flights and Cathay's website which shows I class as available for 38706HKD = ~4970USD. (I have screenshots of all of this but I cannot post them due to not having five posts.)

My questions are:

1). Does the I availability actually exist? The travel agent is telling me it doesn't.
2). If it does, should the travel agent be able to book it?

Thanks
Old Dec 26, 2019, 12:32 pm

Assume you mean Jan 11th 2020?

If so, I agree EF has no availability with US based POS, however there is with UK and HKG POS.

/Rant about Corporate Travel Agents

Ironically, we had a similar issue with our UK based Corporate Travel agency earlier this year - lower fare buckets regularly not available to them, despite being available online and EF, forcing us into higher fares, and sometimes much higher fares available where EF POS said there was no availability. Didn't make sense.

I think they were genuinely surprised to get such a query about this discrepancy, eventually(3 weeks later!) they claimed they could open up availability with the airline given 1) our corporate deal, and 2) their larger relationship with the airline concerned.

Sounded a bit sus, particularly when the rest of the world could freely book the exact same flights we want for a lot cheaper than what we were being offered. Our in house Corporate Travel Director got involved. Perhaps there was a quota on the number of corporate fares a particular airline offers on certain flights? We checked this out with the airline account manager and it wasn't the case. Oh, and no issues with lower fare classes regularly sold out in our time frames either.

Anyway, after that incident never again has our Corporate Travel agent played the "no availability in lower fares classes despite what you can see elsewhere, however we have a much higher fare we can offer".

Coincidence? Who knows. I'd like to think there was a simple explanation.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 2:23 pm

Corporate travel department 🤡

To avoid interminable back and forth, try to get them to agree you make the reservation and then they process the booking reference. Otherwise hopeless.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A major international travel agency should be able to issue plane tickets with a POS anywhere where they have an office or conduct business. AmEx used to advertise doing this creatively to save money on international tickets, often selling two OWs rather than a RT if doing so resulted in lower costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.