Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Equipment Change with Asia Miles Redemption

Qatar Equipment Change with Asia Miles Redemption

Old Dec 13, 19, 2:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: SQ, QF, AM
Posts: 12
Qatar Equipment Change with Asia Miles Redemption

Hi guys,

Not sure if this belongs to the Asia Miles / Qatar forum so please bear with me.

I am intending to redeem a DOH-HKG-SIN award flight from Asia Miles. The first leg would be a QR Q-suites flight, and the second leg is a CX J class flight.

Since QR may do equipment changes, and would offer a free refund or change in such a situation, I have 3 quick questions:-

1. When would it be safe to say that the QR flight is Q-suites equipped? Would it only be 'confirmed' on the day of departure?

2. If an equipment change occurs, should I contact Asia Miles or Qatar to explore the alternatives / solutions?

3. If I were able to select a different routing (e.g. DOH - SIN direct; or DOH - BKK - SIN), would Asia Miles / Qatar refund the mileage difference? In my current planned routing, 70,000 Asia Miles is required, whereas in the alternative routings, only 61,000 Asia Miles are required.

Thanks so much in advance!
mationsbuds is offline  
Old Dec 13, 19, 5:11 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BRS
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,525
1. Until your boarding time, they could switch to a non QSuite. Or they could do it a week before. A day before. A month before.. you get the picture!

For points 2. and 3. I cannot really help.
Schwann is online now  
Old Dec 13, 19, 6:54 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 147
For point 1, it's when you take off. For point 3, it would be Asia Miles if they will refund the mileage difference.

However, I suggest moving this thread to the CXMP/AM forum by clicking the red triangle and tell the mods to move it.
realgaga is online now  
Old Dec 14, 19, 1:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE & RMQ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Posts: 4,689
Originally Posted by mationsbuds View Post
Hi guys,

Not sure if this belongs to the Asia Miles / Qatar forum so please bear with me.

I am intending to redeem a DOH-HKG-SIN award flight from Asia Miles. The first leg would be a QR Q-suites flight, and the second leg is a CX J class flight.

Since QR may do equipment changes, and would offer a free refund or change in such a situation, I have 3 quick questions:-

1. When would it be safe to say that the QR flight is Q-suites equipped? Would it only be 'confirmed' on the day of departure?

2. If an equipment change occurs, should I contact Asia Miles or Qatar to explore the alternatives / solutions?

3. If I were able to select a different routing (e.g. DOH - SIN direct; or DOH - BKK - SIN), would Asia Miles / Qatar refund the mileage difference? In my current planned routing, 70,000 Asia Miles is required, whereas in the alternative routings, only 61,000 Asia Miles are required.

Thanks so much in advance!
As realgaga said, you should have asked for a "move" instead of cross-posting, which is not allowed. Asia Miles will not give you any solution due to equipment swap. There is no difference from Asia Miles' perspective. You can rebook or reroute at your own expense.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Dec 14, 19, 1:51 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: SQ, QF, AM
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
As realgaga said, you should have asked for a "move" instead of cross-posting, which is not allowed. Asia Miles will not give you any solution due to equipment swap. There is no difference from Asia Miles' perspective. You can rebook or reroute at your own expense.
Yup I have also asked for a 'move'. Thanks for the input though!

I saw from another thread (Who to call if partner airline offers free changes due to weather) that "Once you get to 24 hrs before departure the ticket now goes under airport control. It's still a Qatar ticket and their responsibility to change it but if you can get to the airport then you will probably find the airport staff have much more empowerment to change the ticket. Call centre staff often frequently struggle to do sensible things with tickets that are under airport control."

That got me wondering that if it got to within this 24 hour window, the Qatar agents at Doha would be able to do anything?
mationsbuds is offline  
Old Dec 14, 19, 1:55 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE & RMQ
Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Posts: 4,689
Originally Posted by mationsbuds View Post
That got me wondering that if it got to within this 24 hour window, the Qatar agents at Doha would be able to do anything?
QR can do whatever they want to do at that point, but I will leave to others to answer whether QR will actually do it. By the way, tickets are usually under airport control 72 hours before, not 24, and airport control is something that can usually (occasionally there are issues, but both CX and QR are on Amadeus Altéa so I don't think there will be issues) be easily taken back to the issuing airline.
ernestnywang is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 8:04 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by mationsbuds View Post
Hi guys,

Not sure if this belongs to the Asia Miles / Qatar forum so please bear with me.

I am intending to redeem a DOH-HKG-SIN award flight from Asia Miles. The first leg would be a QR Q-suites flight, and the second leg is a CX J class flight.

Since QR may do equipment changes, and would offer a free refund or change in such a situation, I have 3 quick questions:-

1. When would it be safe to say that the QR flight is Q-suites equipped? Would it only be 'confirmed' on the day of departure?

2. If an equipment change occurs, should I contact Asia Miles or Qatar to explore the alternatives / solutions?

3. If I were able to select a different routing (e.g. DOH - SIN direct; or DOH - BKK - SIN), would Asia Miles / Qatar refund the mileage difference? In my current planned routing, 70,000 Asia Miles is required, whereas in the alternative routings, only 61,000 Asia Miles are required.

Thanks so much in advance!
In my experience, flights out of DOH can literally change up until boarding time as I think Qatar likes to allocate their planes based on loading to increase revenue efficiency.
I had a ticket from HKG-DOH-MXP, ZRH-DOH-HKG, both my DOH legs were originally Qsuite when i booked, and I was notified by email that both had changed to non-Qsuite one month before the flights.
Up until the day of the flight, i would check every day on expertflyer if they had switched back, but they hadn't.
Even at check-in, the flights were still showing as 777 non Qsuite and A350 reverse herringbone configs. However, when I got to the gate, both times, the flights were changed back to Qsuite.

Usually if you are on a revenue ticket (i dont know about redemption, but it should work), you are allowed one flight change due to a switch in config from Qsuite to non-Q qsuite. People have more success contacting their Twitter team to do the switch.
However since your flights are out of DOH, I'm not sure how useful that would be anyways since it seems they change their planes up to the last minute.
sparkj is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: