Can I upgrade premium ecconomy to business

Old Dec 8, 19, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Can I upgrade premium ecconomy to business

And if u can how do I do that for money. I have itinerary sea to hkg to da nanag. I hope I can do that for money. Where can I find more info. Thanks for your help
Old Dec 8, 19, 4:35 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by felicidad76 View Post
And if u can how do I do that for money. I have itinerary sea to hkg to da nanag. I hope I can do that for money. Where can I find more info. Thanks for your help

Yes you can, but first I must warn you to dampen expectation. This is not like the US where the mindset is "there must be an easy way to get upgraded for a cheap price, I just need to figure it out." There are two realistic ways to do it on CX, and two more not really realistic but still possible ways to do it.

First thing: you need to figure out your underlying sub fare class. PEY has 3 of them, in order of most-expensive to least: W, R and E. Way 1 and Way 2, the realistic options vary in price and probability based on your sub fare class as I describe below.

Way 1: Pay the upfare to biz which is equal to your fare difference. This is the most reliable way to do it. You will probably need to call CX for a quote. Note, some E fares may not be upgradeable if they are nonrefundable. (Although you could always just cancel your nonrefundable ticket and buy biz class, but this obviously defeats the purpose of your question. The reason you cannot upfare non-refundable tickets is the other sides of this coin.) The upfare difference will be between your sub fare class and the lowest-available biz sub fare class. Biz has 4 sub fare classes: J, C, D and I. However, I and D have a lot of restrictions so it might not be possible to upfare to them, in which case the upfare will be more expensive. Realistically this is not the solution you probably want to hear because it's so obvious, my guess is you'd already have tried it. But on CX this is really the best and most reliable way. My *guess* is your upfare estimate will be about $2,000 US each way. But the range can vary a lot. I think the range is between $500 US at the very low end and $3,500 at the very high end (aka $1,000 - $7,000 round trip). This has a lot has to do with the terms of your tickets. The cheap estimate means you paid a lot (probably W fare), like $3,000 USD for your ticket. And it also requires cheap biz in I or D fare to be available (these are cheap biz tickets) which should be about $4,000 USD round trip at the lowest. The high end of the estimate range means you're in some super cheapo E class (cheapest PEY), probably paid about $1,500 US for your ticket and the only upfare available to you is a full-fare J ticket which costs anywhere from $6-$10k USD so you have a big difference to make up.

Way 2: Upgrade with Asia Miles. The only mileage currency you can upgrade on CX with is its own currency, "Asia Miles". You can earn these themselves, or if you're in the US you can transfer Amex, Citi or Marriott points into Asia Miles. You are allowed to use Asia Miles to upgrade one class, aka from PEY to biz class like you are requesting. (You cannot upgrade from regular economy to biz. Only regular economy to PEY.) Importants Note: Only W and R class can be upgraded using miles. E fare is not-upgradeable using miles. (Way 2.5: You could also look about upfaring E fare to R fare, and then using Asia Miles to upgrade to biz.) Asia Miles inventory is not a guarantee though, btw. It doesn't mean if you're in an eligible fare class and obtain the Asia Miles necessary, you can lock in an upgrade. Come back here if you need help with the next step of the process if you try this route. Don't transfer miles into Asia Miles first.

Way 3: Hope for an "Upgrade Bid" offer.This program in theory is what you're looking for. In realities, it is a failed IT experiment by CX that seems like it's on the way out. The offers rarely come, and when they do, most people on here report bid recommendations that exceed the cost it would be to upfare. I've seen a few received by our staff which are laughable (it would be 50% cheaper to just pay the upfare). Anyway these Upgrade Bid offers don't come very often. I wouldn't count on this one.

Way 4: Operational Upgrade (Op Up). I think this is higher chance than Upgrade Bid, but gives you no piece of mind and requires status. Realistically you need to be at least OWS to have a hope, and ideally OWE (as I assume you are not a Cathay elite. If you are, then you have a higher chance than regular OneWorld partners). Maybe you are an Alaska Airlines elite, looking at your FT profile. Unfortunately, that won't help you on CX.

Way 1 is your best bet. Try calling them and seeing what they quote you. There is not an "easy, simple way" to figure out an upgrade on CX like on the USA airlines. But the upside to that attitude is it is a contributing factor the overall better premium product experiences (generally speaking!) over the last decades than what exists in the US. Good luck.
RevJim, etkuo, percysmith and 1 others like this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Dec 8, 19 at 4:42 pm
Old Dec 8, 19, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Thanks, I will call and report back here

Search this Thread
Search Engine: