Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade after upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPC Gold, Mariott Titanium, United 1K
Downgrade after upgrade?

On a HKG to TPE flight and was refreshing my mobile boarding pass before the flight. I saw I got upgraded to PEY which was nice, but right before boarding I got downgraded back to economy again. I asked the crew what happened and they told me that someone with the same status as me (gold) decided to buy an upgrade at the last minute and that I was downgraded back to my original seat. Once I was to board, I actually got bumped up to PEY again. Now I’m not complaining since I eventually did get the upgrade but more out of curiosity, can they downgrade you for reasons like this? Also, what the staff told me was obviously a lie if I managed to get the upgrade in the end.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Oneworldflyer64
On a HKG to TPE flight and was refreshing my mobile boarding pass before the flight. I saw I got upgraded to PEY which was nice, but right before boarding I got downgraded back to economy again. I asked the crew what happened and they told me that someone with the same status as me (gold) decided to buy an upgrade at the last minute and that I was downgraded back to my original seat. Once I was to board, I actually got bumped up to PEY again. Now I’m not complaining since I eventually did get the upgrade but more out of curiosity, can they downgrade you for reasons like this? Also, what the staff told me was obviously a lie if I managed to get the upgrade in the end.
How do you know it was a lie? Maybe someone cancelled their trip or didn’t show up.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:30 am

can they downgrade you for reasons like this?
I don't see why not. It would be annoying as a passenger and not impress one with the airline, but if you bought an economy ticket then there's no obligation to give you an upgrade. Saying you have it then taking it away isn't a smooth way to handle things, but it seems within the airline's rights.
JordanWalker and Sozee like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I always ask the lounge receptionist to print out the BP for me when I get an op-up.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Was the first PEY seat you saw on mobile BP and the one you eventually sat on onboard the same?
How you know its a lie???
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
They've done this to me. Without the final upgrade. I can assure you, it's possible and hugely depressing. I prefer not to be upgraded at all than go up and then down!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.