Chairman's Drinks 12/12 HK

Old Nov 30, 19, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Black, Ultima
Chairman's Drinks 12/12 HK

Anyone going?

I think my main question if I get the chance to speak with someone important will be the continued lack of incentivisation above 1800 points - last year they kindly gave me 4 extra bookable upgrades (I was about 2800 points by the end of the year IIRC), but I would like to see some more formal thresholds perhaps with different types of award. Maybe at 2000, 2500 and 3000 points for example. I know this has been discussed a lot and I don't bring anything new to the discussion, but I do think they should do something here.
QRC3288 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 19, 10:42 pm

The question is, do they care? With the possible exception of bedding and food in J/F (the latter arguable), they've been on a constant cycle of downgrading the flight experience. It's not that Cathay doesn't know what passengers want - it's that they are unwilling and or unable to deliver it.
Old Nov 30, 19, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Yes I guess they are very constrained in these difficult times. I have always found my interactions with them to be candid and constructive so I continue to give them the benefit of the doubt. And the small things which cost them almost nothing (for example being met off the plane) are a nice touch which suggests that they are trying to do what they can with nine fingers tied behind their backs.
Old Dec 1, 19, 4:26 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I binned it. Not even going to bother anymore.
Old Dec 1, 19, 4:30 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Conkers View Post
Anyone going?

I think my main question if I get the chance to speak with someone important will be the continued lack of incentivisation above 1800 points - last year they kindly gave me 4 extra bookable upgrades (I was about 2800 points by the end of the year IIRC), but I would like to see some more formal thresholds perhaps with different types of award. Maybe at 2000, 2500 and 3000 points for example. I know this has been discussed a lot and I don't bring anything new to the discussion, but I do think they should do something here.
Just to be clear, I totally agree with your idea. It's imminently logical and good for all.

But the real boss are the fellows Merlin met with in Beijing. Reality was exposed. The Cathay / Swire "chairman" is naked as far as us customers are concerned.

It was already tough getting a keen ear at CX. But now with the turnover, I assume everything legacy they do like these silly drinks and meet the members is nonsense until the dust settles.
HKTenor and percysmith like this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288 View Post
Just to be clear, I totally agree with your idea. It's imminently logical and good for all.

But the real boss are the fellows Merlin met with in Beijing. Reality was exposed. The Cathay / Swire "chairman" is naked as far as us customers are concerned.

It was already tough getting a keen ear at CX. But now with the turnover, I assume everything legacy they do like these silly drinks and meet the members is nonsense until the dust settles.
Thanks. I hear you for sure. Well I have signed up now so I will go along and see what they have to say.
Old Dec 1, 19, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA 3MM CK, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LT Titanium
Would much rather they let people choose what mid-tier benefits they get after 1800... like perhaps every 200 or 300 tier points can be exchanged for 1 bookable upgrade, or 600 points into a free companion gold, etc... maybe even 1000 over to exchange for a companion diamond? give us a choice depending on our own needs...
Old Dec 1, 19, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

That would be great. Good idea!
Originally Posted by tfung View Post
Would much rather they let people choose what mid-tier benefits they get after 1800... like perhaps every 200 or 300 tier points can be exchanged for 1 bookable upgrade, or 600 points into a free companion gold, etc... maybe even 1000 over to exchange for a companion diamond? give us a choice depending on our own needs...
Old Dec 1, 19, 6:27 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Feel free to express your ideas and opinions to the staff present. But my experience at these events is that the response you will get is essentially an in person version of the “we will pass on these thoughts to the relevant departments” email.

In most cases, what you have to say to the management is not the first time they have heard it. They are usually rolling their eyes internally or externally.
oldchinahand likes this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Feel free to express your ideas and opinions to the staff present. But my experience at these events is that the response you will get is essentially an in person version of the “we will pass on these thoughts to the relevant departments” email.

In most cases, what you have to say to the management is not the first time they have heard it. They are usually rolling their eyes internally or externally.
Totally agree but when I first met Nicholas at one of these (before he moved on) some time ago I left him with a handful of action points and he followed up with me personally on all of them so clearly I have had a more useful experience than others at these events.
Old Dec 11, 19, 6:16 am

Programs: CX-DM TG-*G AF-Plat EK-Gold
They never listen!
Just grab the bottle of champagne and go!
See you guys there tomorrow for HH
OneWorldLoyalist and CX30616 like this.
Old Dec 12, 19, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: 1
Originally Posted by Conkers View Post
Thanks. I hear you for sure. Well I have signed up now so I will go along and see what they have to say.
thanks
Old Dec 12, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: CX-DM TG-*G AF-Plat EK-Gold
Sigh that there were so many new faces of the management team
Was Augustus Tang there?
Old Dec 12, 19, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GorillaW View Post
Sigh that there were so many new faces of the management team
Was Augustus Tang there?
I didn’t stay long to be honest and I thought the speeches were very weak in particular.
Old Dec 12, 19, 9:13 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Titanium, Avis Preferred, National EE
The new Betsy beer was actually pretty good! and of course the 2000 Chateau Lynch-Bages!!! I think i drank at least a bottle of that before i left!
JordanWalker likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: