Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Policy for priority boarding with direct/indirect family members?

Old Nov 28, 2019, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

I was on 881 earlier this week bound for the States... was in-line at the J boarding queue, when I noticed a large Indian family w/~10 family members ahead of me in the queue.

Looks like only 1 of the family was GO (a guy, judging from his 2 shameless GO backpack tags). Travelling with him were his wife, 3 teenage kids, his 2 parents, and what looked like his brother, and her wife.

I say only 1 of them was GO, as CX staff validating BPs were asking the rest of the family repeatedly if they were all travelling together.

What is CX's policy (or more likely, practice) for priority boarding w/family -- does priority boarding extend to "just" your direct family, or basically everyone in your entourage, regardless of relationship?

To me, it made complete sense for the dude's wife, kids and parents to board together. But his brother and his sister-in-law shouldn't have been allowed priority boarding.

Oh. and the entire party were later spotted right at the back, in Y.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
What difference.does that make to you, going by your logic that he already had 8 out of 10 in his entourage already qualified for priority boarding under your definition?

Then again, I agree with you that there has to be a number fixed and ground staff needs to enforce.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by infinitium
What is CX's policy (or more likely, practice) for priority boarding w/family -- does priority boarding extend to "just" your direct family, or basically everyone in your entourage, regardless of relationship?
I believe a very old version of the MPO membership guide mentioned spouse only, although I can't find it at the moment. I've never had problem with +1 (no matter the relationship).
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
For GR by comparison:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html

Check-in and boarding

Premium Economy Class countersAvailable at applicable airports. Member may use bag-drop counters otherwise.

Travel companion(s) can also enjoy this benefit when travelling with the member.

Priority boardingOnly the member can use this benefit (no guests).
infinitium likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Was it necessary to mention the race of the family? Would it been any difference if it was a family of 10 Hong Kongers, or 10 Americans?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I do agree that passengers do abuse the system. People of all ethnic backgrounds do it. I do also agree that airline staff need to be more stringent so that people do not abuse the system. But again if they were on the same PNR it is most likely that the airline would let them go especially if it is one family.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Cathay's website states that 'travel companion(s)' (no amount specified) may also use priority boarding with a SL or higher member. Although for Green it specifically mentions priority boarding is for the GR member only.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: MP, BR
CX never enforces it. Just yesterday I had 6 HKers only 1 of which was a GR member lining up in front of me at Priority Boarding.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I get that this is annoying, but how many large groups are there on average within a priority boarding line? At most, it adds a minute to your boarding time. I get that 10 is excessive but I would hope it is an outlier and wouldn't necessarily want them to start cracking down on it, unless it becomes the norm.

Moreover, I appreciate when CX shows a bit of flexibility for the times I want to bring a friend into the priority boarding line, or priority check-in.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:38 pm

I don't see why it would be irritating to a J-Class passenger when the 10 passengers ahead of you are going to the back of the aircraft and you're not.

You are in J, why do you need to fight with other EY passengers who really need to get in first to secure overhead bag spaces while you don't have to?

I normally spend more of my time in the lounge, sit down at the seats and let the world queue and struggle to get into the plane first. Once the priority boarding queue settles, I just leisurely walk in. No frustration, no rush, no worries and no need to post "I need to get in first" thread in this forum.

(Audio)
toplayer, nancypants and dav662 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Audio
I don't see why it would be irritating to a J-Class passenger when the 10 passengers ahead of you are going to the back of the aircraft and you're not.
(I thought about this one) Pre-departure drinks
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K

I normally spend more of my time in the lounge, sit down at the seats and let the world queue and struggle to get into the plane first. Once the priority boarding queue settles, I just leisurely walk in. No frustration, no rush, no worries and no need to post "I need to get in first" thread in this forum.

(Audio)

This logic works great when there are two entrances to the plane, otherwise you may end up waiting on the gangway
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
(I thought about this one) Pre-departure drinks
You are in J. You can order many, many pre-departure drinks as you like / can swallow before take off....really!!

(Audio)
dav662 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by davistev
This logic works great when there are two entrances to the plane, otherwise you may end up waiting on the gangway

Back to the same question. Why the need to get into the aircraft first when you are in J?

(Audio)
dav662 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:44 am

Back to the same question. Why the need to get into the aircraft first when you are in J?

(Audio)
Gate agents do have the tendency to try and get everyone into the airbridge but you can't get onto the plane yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.