Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

TPE - downgraded after online check in, who to contact?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)

I was booked on a TPE-HKG tomorrow in premium economy. Did online check in yesterday without issue, then woke up to email and SMS notification of downgrade to Y (presumably equipment swap related). I can't view or redo online check in, so not exactly sure what state my booking is in. Nobody has contacted me.

CX are still selling J seats on the same and surrounding flights. So somewhat surprising I was down rather than upgraded.

Booking is now under airport control, so who can I contact about this? Is there a phone number for the TPE ticketing desk? Or do I just need to wait until I get to the airport tomorrow?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Call reservations.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Call reservations.
I tried, after some back and forth they said they can do nothing as it's under airport control.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Gold, DL Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
I would suggest you calling the airport directly instead of ticketing if the booking is under airport control. I've done this before and they could get what I wanted done.

Cathay Pacific (TPE) Sevice Desk: +886-3-3982501

Hope it helps.

P.S. Haha, why not accept the downgrade and ask for an upgrade certificate for future travel instead?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mpoflyer
I would suggest you calling the airport directly instead of ticketing if the booking is under airport control. I've done this before and they could get what I wanted done.

Cathay Pacific (TPE) Sevice Desk: +886-3-3982501

Hope it helps.

P.S. Haha, why not accept the downgrade and ask for an upgrade certificate for future travel instead?
Thanks. Yes, I would most likely take an upgrade certificate if that is offered. I want to resolve today if possible though as my schedule tomorrow means I probably won't have time at the airport for a lengthy chat at the desk.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Unfortunately, that is very common due to ac swap from longhaul to regional. Rare to be upgraded to J, eventhough it usually means to get the regional J seat.

What kind of ticket was it?
If BEAC avios (as you state BAEC on your profile), they will refund a few avios and it will be a painful process.
percysmith and thomas164 like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
1) Cathay could call before you even get to the airport (I have had experienced this) and ask whether you want to refund the fare/AsiaMiles difference for the PEY->Y downgrade, or to wait until airport check-in to see what they offer.

2) At airport check-in they could either upgrade you to J if seats available, or offer an upgrade certificate for future use, or refer you back to CX/AM/BEAC (whatever your ticket currency was) for the refund process.

This is a fairly common occurrence for CX on regional routes, so the staff are usually pretty familiar with dealing with it.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
You're still OW Sapphire via BA, right?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmiller11101
You're still OW Sapphire via BA, right?
Actually not anymore, dropped to Ruby via BA a month ago. Getting used to that meaning nothing.

I've been upgraded to J when this happened befoe, but as a Sapphire or Emerald

It's a BA avios ticket, so will take it up with them for the miles difference. All pretty onerous. I only booked PE because Y wasn't available
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I was upgraded to J on PAL after told them that if they did not have PE I would not have bought my ticket with them. I paid for the PE and they downgraded the aircraft and I said the only reason why I bought a PE ticket on PAL was because of the PE.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Just for ref in case anyone finds this in the future, I wasn't able to get through to the phone number above but at the check-in counter they just upgraded me to J, without me saying anything. Recorded as an involuntary upgrade ("IU" on the boarding pass), so I assume I wouldn't have had access to the lounge although was too short on time to try.
percysmith likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 4:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Just for ref in case anyone finds this in the future, I wasn't able to get through to the phone number above but at the check-in counter they just upgraded me to J, without me saying anything.
Good. This is known to happen on occasion too.

Originally Posted by zeltergiset
Recorded as an involuntary upgrade ("IU" on the boarding pass), so I assume I wouldn't have had access to the lounge although was too short on time to try.
No access https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-upgrades.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.