Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Any chance of price reductions due to current unrest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

I have 3 potential flights with CX / KA coming up in December, and have been watching prices (which remain stubornly high, particularly for one way tickets). Any chance the prices will come down if the current unrest continues to adverseley affecting flight loads?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 1:56 pm

I am booked my flights to hkg from uk back in october (I think) and I thought I got a bargain as I bought it during its sale. Which it is - think Ł2800 or something in J. The ticket prices has remained low @ that price. The price never changed after the sale. It is normally Ł3200 - 3400 I think so I think destination dependent, if you are going to HKG, it is as low as it will be.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
I booked my main QR flight into HKG some time ago, but am looking at KA / CX to get me around SE Asia (I am OWE so would benefit from Pier lounge benefits). Everything appears to be about Ł200 single / Ł240 return for 'local' flights to CRK / KUL / SGN / DAD.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: QF WP
They’re coming up as by far and away the cheapest option for me on a australia-HKG-Europe itinerary in December which is unusual

maybe they’re doing OK on local traffic but struggling for connecting passengers?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
CX (and KA) is one of the most expensive carriers ex-HKG
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
speak with your wallet and take your business elsewhere which offers reasonable fares. or fly out of XMN or PVG or PEK to get nearly 60pc off ex hk fare on CX. if you shop around there are plenty of cheaper option, matter of fact airlines not based in hk had even more sales ex hk to fill the plane

they clearly learned nothing. for all the profit warnings they are still too proud to cut fares ex hkg. so let them continue their arrogance cuz at one point they might not be around to be proud of their former glory.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
CX has cut some fares for transit pax (e.g. Europe-Asia/OZ) but less so from Hong Kong.
Actually, they have even raised fares from cities where they drastically cut capacity. For example, they cut one of the two flights from Paris and fares, including transit fares, have gone up.

I find a bit strange the reaction of some posters who would have been willing to fly CX six months ago at the current fare, but would now switch to another airline simply for punishing CX not to lower their fares.

Regarding CX one-way fares. They are rarely purchased/sold. CX/KA, like most major legacy airlines, do not operate on the LCC pricing model.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I had to book DXB-ORD one-way on a close-in basis a couple of months ago and CX via HKG was far and away the cheapest J option. I don't know if that's still the case. Both legs very lightly loaded.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by BearX220; Nov 16, 2019 at 7:10 am
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles
I recently flew MNL-HKG for about 130USD. Cheapest I've ever had. Even more recently in a fiesta sale it went to 120USD. It's now gone up a bit again. It seems to vary but is lower than my recollections.

I may go to Disneyland HK for xmas but they don't don't seem to have lowered their advance prices much. I feel last minute they may make big slashes though.

Hotel prices downtown are the cheapest I've ever seen too.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
For HKG-MEL, they generally remained steady (priced very close to what QF and VA were charging). However, if you willing to go up to CAN (needs a Chinese visa for that), CZ fares are actually cheaper than any non-LCC options ex-HKG.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: JAL
Fares out of SYD seem strong still in mid-December, and availbility seems a little tight on some flights. I am starting get a little concerned about my HKG-BOS flight given what appears to be a fairly light load (although better chance for an upgrade bid).
Old Nov 17, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
I have noticed that PE flights ex SIN to Europe appear to be unusually cheap at the moment: SIN-LHR/LGW return can be had for around SGD2,200 / USD1,600 for flights this month, which is a lot less than I recall it to be. If my memory serves me right, prices to Europe on CX ex SIN in PE were quite silly before, around SGD3k+ or so. Sadly, the same cannot be seen for flights from Singapore to Australia, where I need to go next. We are looking at SGD2,800+ / USD2,050+ instead, which is more than I have to pay for flying in biz on some other carriers.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
I have noticed that PE flights ex SIN to Europe appear to be unusually cheap at the moment: SIN-LHR/LGW return can be had for around SGD2,200 / USD1,600 for flights this month, which is a lot less than I recall it to be. If my memory serves me right, prices to Europe on CX ex SIN in PE were quite silly before, around SGD3k+ or so. Sadly, the same cannot be seen for flights from Singapore to Australia, where I need to go next. We are looking at SGD2,800+ / USD2,050+ instead, which is more than I have to pay for flying in biz on some other carriers.
Funny you mention it,I spotted that too. J is only $1000 or so more on some dates
Old Nov 17, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by ahopkins767
I recently flew MNL-HKG for about 130USD. Cheapest I've ever had. Even more recently in a fiesta sale it went to 120USD. It's now gone up a bit again. It seems to vary but is lower than my recollections.

I may go to Disneyland HK for xmas but they don't don't seem to have lowered their advance prices much. I feel last minute they may make big slashes though.

Hotel prices downtown are the cheapest I've ever seen too.
Don't count on Disney hotels being "cheap" or heavily discounted. They run promotions for local residents but with some restrictions. I had to stay there for a night last week and the only form of discount was to buy the package which included meals. They might give out extras but the room itself will not be cheap like other 4/5 star hotels.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nancypants
They’re coming up as by far and away the cheapest option for me on a australia-HKG-Europe itinerary in December which is unusual

maybe they’re doing OK on local traffic but struggling for connecting passengers?
I think they're trying to be competitive for connecting passengers. They are still gouging the living lights out of ex-HKG fares.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.