Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Can I buy a new ticket airside if I miss my connection in HKG

Old Nov 10, 19, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Looking at a flight from CRK - HKG with KA, connecting to MH to KUL.

If I miss my connection can I stay airside and buy a new ticket for a later flight, or will I need to clear customs and buy the ticket landside (and check in again).
Old Nov 10, 19, 12:08 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
You can do a KA code share on this route
Old Nov 10, 19, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Agent69 View Post
Looking at a flight from CRK - HKG with KA, connecting to MH to KUL.

If I miss my connection can I stay airside and buy a new ticket for a later flight, or will I need to clear customs and buy the ticket landside (and check in again).
Do you truly have a "connection" (all flights booked on a single ticket), or do you have two separate tickets?

If both flights are on a single ticket, the late-delivering carrier (KA) would be responsible for getting you to KUL at no additional cost to you.

Since KA and MH are both oneworld carriers, it's also possible (not guaranteed) that KA would even protect you across separate tickets.

If these are separate tickets, I suggest asking KA whether they protect across separate KA/MH tickets.
Old Nov 10, 19, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Do you truly have a "connection" (all flights booked on a single ticket), or do you have two separate tickets?

If both flights are on a single ticket, the late-delivering carrier (KA) would be responsible for getting you to KUL at no additional cost to you.

Since KA and MH are both oneworld carriers, it's also possible (not guaranteed) that KA would even protect you across separate tickets.

If these are separate tickets, I suggest asking KA whether they protect across separate KA/MH tickets.
It would be 2 seperate tickets, with 90 minutes in between. KA should interline the bags to MH, so I assume MH will put them on the next flight. The question is whether I can buy another ticket airside or if I have to go through customs first.
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy View Post
You can do a KA code share on this route
Can I do this if CRK - HKG is the second half of a cash return, and HKG - KUL is a reward flight booked via BA using Avios.
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It would be 2 seperate tickets, with 90 minutes in between. KA should interline the bags to MH, so I assume MH will put them on the next flight. The question is whether I can buy another ticket airside or if I have to go through customs first.
Actually, the first question is whether you even need to worry about this. Have you inquired of KA whether they will protect you on separate KA/MH tickets?
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
It would be 2 seperate tickets, with 90 minutes in between. KA should interline the bags to MH, so I assume MH will put them on the next flight.
I'm not so sure about this on separate tickets (ie no connection).
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, DL Plat, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
even if there is no ticket desk, you can always buy it online.

Not sure how close to departure, though.
Old Nov 10, 19, 4:16 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), SIA, Turkish Elite, Korean, Qantas
You could just buy tickets on line, why leave the transit area?
Old Nov 10, 19, 11:23 pm

Programs: Have
I have done this before in HKG. Make sure you print a boarding pass at the transit desk.
Old Nov 11, 19, 3:19 am

Assume you can check your luggage thru to MH and miss the MH flight. Your luggage will not be on the next MN flight for security reasons. You need to make sure that your new carrier will retrieve the bags (or you need to do this and recheck them).
Old Nov 11, 19, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Actually, the first question is whether you even need to worry about this. Have you inquired of KA whether they will protect you on separate KA/MH tickets?
I have asked CX about this and await their reply.
Old Nov 11, 19, 7:05 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
even if there is no ticket desk, you can always buy it online.

Not sure how close to departure, though.
I remember it being 1 hour departure before the CX and KA sites merged, not sure about now
Old Nov 11, 19, 5:39 pm

With 90m transit time in HKG, I wouldn't worry at all about missing your connecting flight - clearing Immigration will rarely take >15m, and you should be able to reach the ex-KUL departing gate with over an hour to spare.

FYI, I fly the mainland China-HKG-KUL route regularly, sometimes with <35m connection times, and I've never missed my connection to-date (touchwood!)
Old Nov 12, 19, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
The CRK flight is usually very punctual so you should be fine. Landing in HKG at 1:20pm is also a good timing for congestion.

Avios availability is very scarce, so I understand why you had to get award on MH rather than KA. OW rules say that you are not protected. But CX/KA are usually good with irrops. There is a KA HKG-KUL at 4:05pm, so KA might put you on this flight. If not protected, then you can buy a ticket with the CX App (at a very steep price for a one-way) and use the electronic BP on your phone. No need to print the BP.

However, there is one scenario that you should consider, assuming they refuse to protect you.
Let's assume that the incoming ac is delayed by an hour into CRK because of some tech reasons. Then KA would only check your bags to HKG except if you purchase another ticket before boarding your CRK flight.

But given the punctuality of KA376, you should not worry much.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: