Wing J catering

Old Oct 30, 19, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Wing J catering

Anyone finds the catering at The Wing catering on the business side underwhelming? Was there on 10/28 night which had siu mai that was bland, salmon that had bones and the noodle bar that served noodles that made me want to eat out at the food court.

Quality control fail
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:44 pm

We didnít go to the Wing but went to the J this past Monday afternoon. We had really been looking forward to it as our experience in Feb was very nice. To say I was underwhelmed is nice.
Half a pastrami sandwich with one thin slice of meat. Didnít finish it.
pizza - old and no flavor.
egg tart - what happened to the Portuguese nata
dumplings - eww

in February we ate so much amazing food at the lounge that we didnít have enough room on the flight. This time, couldnít believe the offerings and looking forward to flying JL home. Although was initially hesitant because of the food but it has to be better than this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 1:36 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
I rather have a detour to the Qantas Hong Kong Lounge for Buffet + Plate of the Day + BBQ Pork (Siu Mei) rice. CX should seriously consider sacking Sodexo and hire a significant better caterer like Accor Hotels / Hong Kong W hotels to takeover the Catering part for ALL 6 CX branded lounges in HKG, as well as out ports.
Old Oct 31, 19, 6:04 am

Programs: CX MPO GO (=SPH), IHG Spire Amb, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Frankly, I thought the catering in HKG J lounges have improved a bit compared to earlier this year. Still not as good as the Peninsula days, but not as bad as it once was.
Old Oct 31, 19, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang View Post
Frankly, I thought the catering in HKG J lounges have improved a bit compared to earlier this year. Still not as good as the Peninsula days, but not as bad as it once was.
not when there is bland taste and bones in fish dishes
Old Oct 31, 19, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy View Post
not when there is bland taste and bones in fish dishes
I second that. My wife said the same exact thing about the huge bone she found in her fish.
Old Oct 31, 19, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA 3MM CK, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LT Titanium
the quality seems to go up and down... Even within the same week and depending on what I order, it can go from passable coffee shop food, to completely inedible-how-can-they-serve-this-crap......
Old Nov 1, 19, 3:06 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Not that the food is that great at any of the J lounges, but I've always thought Wing J had the worst of the bunch perhaps the only redeeming part is the noodle bar which I usually skip. If I didn't want to trek all they way to the Pier J, I'd prefer the Bridge to Wing J. No noodle bar but I think it has more choice and its a bigger space when you factor in both sides.

I agree wih tfung , quality probably varies from day to day. When Sodexo first took over the lounges, there was near mutiny with a noticeable downgrade of quality. Seems they responded to the backlash and managed to placate the mob. It wouldn't surprise me if they're quietly slipping back since the furor has died down but that's pure speculation on my part.
Old Nov 1, 19, 7:12 am
Original Poster

The Wing gets away with it because they close after last flight. The other lounges make you get out by 00;30.
Old Nov 3, 19, 4:48 am

I haven't noticed a notable decline in the J quality to be honest but I am on the F side. To be honest the quality has deteriorated so much on the F side that I'm just happy to have some decent dim sum options on the J side. With Duddell's opening up steps away from the Wing, I am honestly tempted to just spend HK$200 on a nice takeaway meal there and bring it into the Wing to eat.
Old Nov 3, 19, 7:27 am

I've always found the Pizza at the Bridge excellent, especially when it has lots of cheese. Of course, this from a guy who likes Round Table better than the authentic ones in Napoli.
Old Nov 3, 19, 12:53 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
I thought the standard food offering in all CX lounges in HKG are the same? I went to the Bridge and then the Deck and they had the same standard (hot) food offering. But when I was at The Bridge, I overheard the staff saying that the food looks bad and even they won't eat it.
Old Nov 3, 19, 11:58 pm

Programs: Ex *A now CX. IHG/Marriott convert
At least the Bridge has more western choices than the Wing.

The Pier J has the largest selections but portions are cruelly controlled by the chef-nazi. Had to actually beg for more than two sticks of cheddar cheese (I get one extra per serving)
Old Nov 5, 19, 7:09 am

Programs: MPCGO
Have just been to the Pier J last week. Western selection and the noodle bar offerings were passable. The teahouse selection was also rather good. I suppose it's like Russian roulette with the lounge catering with Sodexo?
Old Nov 6, 19, 4:55 am

Programs: CX MPC, AC Aeroplan
Went to the Pier J then the Bridge a couple weeks ago and the offerings were slightly different. The hot food items were almost the same I think, but the Bridge had the Chinese water melon soup and a dessert soup which I don't recall seeing in the Pier. All the "controlled" items in the Pier are part of the buffet at the Bridge so much more freedom. The Pier has egg tart at the teahouse put out on a plate and they were all cold and stale, while the Bridge has warmed and crispy Portuguese egg tarts that were tasty. I also found "shrimp toast" by the bar at the Bridge which were not bad and I think it's my first time seeing it in the lounge.

So I think the food offering at the Bridge was much better than the Pier J, at least for that day.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: