Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Change in rules - can't get "bassinet" seat in advance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO

Before, I could get a seat assignment where there is a bassinet at the time of booking/ticket issuance. The condition was that you could be moved if there was a need to accommodate a baby, which is totally reasonable. I called Cathay the other day, and they said a new rule has been implemented and that all bassinet seats are not assignable until check-in commences. Has anyone else heard or experienced this?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I guess they had to move too many grumpy people, with no babies, for people needing bassinets and got fed up with it.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Are we talking about seats 2A and 2K on the 777?
Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:14 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I notice this for 20DG on the 77K
Old Oct 24, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
i personally think they should not let people book into bassinet seats at the beginning if there is no baby

its kinda messes up the planning and make it more inconvenient for parents to plan / get their bassinet seats (as bassinet seats can be allocated to infants online, it saves the call to CX call centre asking if it was *really* occupied by an infant)

As an aside, I had a stupid situation on QF -> where the check-in ground manager said to my request to get the bassinet seat for my infant - they said it was blocked, but if there was a P1 sitting in the basinet seat, we would not move him at all.
nancypants and fallinasleep like this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by ermen
As an aside, I had a stupid situation on QF -> where the check-in ground manager said to my request to get the bassinet seat for my infant - they said it was blocked, but if there was a P1 sitting in the basinet seat, we would not move him at all.
But on CX, I think that they do move DMs for actual passengers with infant- happened to me once. Just the one time (and given a light load, I got an empty seat next to me), so not sure of policy, and no clue how that would work with DM+ (I Guess, the equivalent of P1).
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I've been moved before at check in to the middle seat in F. no complaints as that was what I agreed to when I requested the bassinet seat... But I can imagine some DYKWIA person may throw a big fuss...
somemale likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 10:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
If this policy change is true, I agree it’s a good thing as it avoids hassles for the staff and disappointment for the passengers. The worst is when you are in Y and get moved from the bassinet seat at the last minute to a really bad seat choice as that’s all that’s remaining.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Are we talking about seats 2A and 2K on the 777?
Yes I just failed to have 2A assigned for YVR uncle.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Yes I just failed to have 2A assigned for YVR uncle.
From https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post31914845

Originally Posted by LRD
Many thanks to you (and skimthetrees) for the advice. I tweeted with the CX team and got 2A on three flights within minutes.
So AS is allowed to ignore rules that CX/AM enforce on its own members?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Sounds like CX not enforcing CX policy to me
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:40 am

Programs: MPCGO, AYPt, SQG, HHDiamond
It depends on location. For LHR ticketing office, they are unwilling to assign baby seats.

For HK Office, they will normally assign it for you, occasionally some people are nosy.
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.