Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

How does JFK's American Airlines Flagship Lounge compare with CX's in HKG?

Old Oct 22, 19, 12:00 am
Original Poster

I will fly from JFK on CX to HKG soon in J.

How does AA's Flagship Lounge stack up to CX's HKG lounges? I just wonder how much time I should spend there before my flight. Is the hot food any good? I don't drink and so don't care too much about the wine list.

Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 19, 12:09 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Barkinpark View Post
I will fly from JFK on CX to HKG soon in J.

How does AA's Flagship Lounge stack up to CX's HKG lounges? I just wonder how much time I should spend there before my flight. Is the hot food any good? I don't drink and so don't care too much about the wine list.

Thanks.

The AA Flagship lounge compares favorably with the CX business class lounges in HKG, with the exception of Asian food.

The food that is available is nice quality and it is a spacious and comfortable lounge. An hour would be plenty of time to eat and relax before your flight.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:41 am

I'd say the CX J lounge in HKG is better than AA Flagship at JFK. Better food (noodle bar, hot food, including Western options) for sure, as well as shower facilities.

That said, JFK is so far away from Manhattan that you'll probably arrive a little bit early anyways. Flagship lounge is worth popping by although I wouldn't want to sit in there for hours on end.
Barkinpark and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 2:09 am
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
Judging on the food alone, I think the AA lounge is actually better than CX. There are more proteins available, and lots of vegetable/salad options. The CX J lounges are carb/oil heavy.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:28 am

Programs: OnePass, PriorityClub
i wasn't impressed by the food served at CX lounge in HK. SXC is right they are carb heavy. the dim sums are doughy. I liked the food options at the Flagship at DFW. Have not been to JFK lounge. However, some here at FT thinks JFK flagship is better than DFW.
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
I frequent both. CX HK J lounges on average are better.

Food wise, Flagship JFK has limited options - with the exception of 1 visit earlier this year they always have a slightly dry herb grilled or better sauce-flavored salmon, chicken / pork and some mediocre charcuterie, soup and salad - dessert went uphill to mediocre but soft drinks went downhill since opening.

UA Polaris EWR and AA Flagship LAX are better. I guess it's better than The Deck's F&B minus the noodle bar.

I also haven't been blown away by flagship first dining. Heard the burger's good though but never ordered it. Sundae's not bad.

Seating wise, Flagship JFK can feel crowded and less comfortable than say the Pier.

Hope this is helpful.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:37 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
How about comparison of AA Flagship First Dining vs CX Pier F / Wing F?
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: CX, Hyatt
AA Flagship F's Asian dishes are unauthentic and bad in my limited experiences. Western ones are fine.
Barkinpark and craig44485 like this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by derek2010 View Post
How about comparison of AA Flagship First Dining vs CX Pier F / Wing F?
I find the food about comparable, perhaps a slight edge to JFK Flagship Lounge; but the service is much better at JFK Flagship Lounge. I would describe the wait staff at HKG Wing F lounge dining (where I probably visit three or four times each year for the past decade, most recently three weeks ago) as disinterested. You know, putting your plate of food down on your table without a word and without looking at you.
Barkinpark likes this.
Old Oct 22, 19, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Oh...my mistake. I am actually traveling in F this time. Bought the CX error fare to Vietnam via HKG.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I find the food about comparable, perhaps a slight edge to JFK Flagship Lounge; but the service is much better at JFK Flagship Lounge. I would describe the wait staff at HKG Wing F lounge dining (where I probably visit three or four times each year for the past decade, most recently three weeks ago) as disinterested. You know, putting your plate of food down on your table without a word and without looking at you.
I agree, my server at JFK Flagship Dining was engaged and provided good service. The service I’ve gotten in HKG Pier has been fine, but not like that. That being said there are cultural issues at play, perhaps.

Pier F has nicer decor for sure outside the dining room, but I think I liked the meal at JFK better.
Old Oct 22, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, MPC Silver
Definitely agree that AA Flagship food is more protein heavy than CX lounges, actually prefer it over the CX options (exception is Pier F dining). Comfort-wise, CX lounges are more "home-y". The JFK Flagship has a much more sterile feel to it, but it's not bad.
Old Oct 22, 19, 3:02 pm

Same exact thought but hadn’t asked it yet. We fly out on a Sunday morning JFK-HKG. How are the breakfast offerings at Flagship Lounge. We’re just in J, although hopefully on way back will be in F from all the miles.
Old Oct 22, 19, 6:27 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM
I've not had the privilege of flying F yet, so I can't really comment on Flagship First dining.

Breakfast offerings at JFK Flagship buffet are typically western. The times I've been there in the morning they've offered things like eggs benedict, american bacon, sausage and french toast.

JFK Flagship is great but it does tend to get a little crowded. To the right of the main lounge, when entering, is an area called Flagship Bridge. It offers casual sit down service with a menu of small plates and a bar. Most pax tend to go the the main lounge so the Bridge area is usually very quiet with plenty of seating. The operating hours are more limited, I think it's open 10AM-10PM. If I'm taking CX865, I usually sit there first and have a small dinner then head on over to the main lounge area for some tea and dessert and grab a bottle of water before heading to the gate.

JFK Flagship is a great lounge but I wouldn't put it above any of the CX HK lounges, except maybe the Deck. As stated above, CX J lounges offer a lot of Asian comfort food which can be carb heavy as well as the western choices like pizza and sandwiches. The food choices at Flagship are more limited and tend towards a western meal where you can choose a hunk of meat with starch and vegetable sides and it's all prepared quite well.

Last time I flew CX865 it was departing from gate 47. I headed over there and found there was a delay of 30 minutes or so. Just for kicks I headed over to the AA Admirals lounge not far away. It was gigantic and empty. Not much food available as many of the stations were closed but I wasn't looking for that. As crowded as Flagship was this was the opposite. Staff told me this Admirals lounge doesn't get very crowded. It won't knock your socks off but if you're looking for some privacy it can be had there.
Old Oct 22, 19, 10:40 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Exec Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Barkinpark - do you have any FF status? You are not entitled to AA Flagship lounge unless you are on F or have status. If you have status CX F lounges are way better than AA Flagship in my opinion. If you are comparing J lounges AA barely has food.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: