HKG-DAD(Danang)-HKG on KA

Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

HKG-DAD(Danang)-HKG on KA

Pardon the newbie question - first time KA flyer but many sectors on CX. The daily flights on HKG-DAD-HKG are a bit puzzling to me . On certain days of the week it is operated by an A321 and there are J class seats for sale . On other days the flight is operated by an A320 and it consistently seems that J class buckets are zeroed out . I have seen this phenomenon close in and far out in terms of booking window .

However , the seatmaps for all the A320 flights show an 8 seat J cabin . The seatmaps vary from completely full to no seats assigned but the J class is zeroed out . I know seatmaps are not , by themselves , necessarily indicative of load .

What I am trying to figure out is if there are certain days on A320 when J is NOT sold as a separate cabin . If that is the case , then is the J cabin seating given to CX Elite ? Any info appreciated!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Pardon the newbie question - first time KA flyer but many sectors on CX. The daily flights on HKG-DAD-HKG are a bit puzzling to me . On certain days of the week it is operated by an A321 and there are J class seats for sale . On other days the flight is operated by an A320 and it consistently seems that J class buckets are zeroed out . I have seen this phenomenon close in and far out in terms of booking window .

However , the seatmaps for all the A320 flights show an 8 seat J cabin . The seatmaps vary from completely full to no seats assigned but the J class is zeroed out . I know seatmaps are not , by themselves , necessarily indicative of load .

What I am trying to figure out is if there are certain days on A320 when J is NOT sold as a separate cabin . If that is the case , then is the J cabin seating given to CX Elite ? Any info appreciated!

KA has all Y A320's.

Alternatively, if it is a A320 with J, there are only 8 seats. Given the 'sale' earlier this yes, I expect many flights have been sold out in J since January.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:37 pm

I am a frequent traveler on this route. Unfortunately, due to the mistake fares at the beginning of the year it is very difficult to get JCL inventory to DAD when a 320 is being operated, and almost impossible from a non HKG POS. I have found that as a DM you will usually clear into the I bucket (ex HKG ticket) after waitlisting as long as there are many unoccupied seats on the seat map, however, if all seats are taken chances are good that it is not "revenue control" but actual passengers who booked far in advance. If you are willing to pay for J, obviously, it clears immediately.

Never a problem when they put a 321 on the route. By the way, CX seems to prioritize local ex-HKG J traffic over connections on even "non-mistake fare" long haul J tickets. On multiple occasions, my colleagues from N.A. have ended up in Y on a J ticket while I have no problems clearing into the I bucket.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
KA has all Y A320's.

Alternatively, if it is a A320 with J, there are only 8 seats. Given the 'sale' earlier this yes, I expect many flights have been sold out in J since January.
All single class 320s have been reconfigured and no longer exist. Occasionally, the 8J seats on the 320 are sold as Y on some routes but never to DAD.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the prompt and very helpful replies !
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
With the mistake fare, J availability to/from DAD is reduced.
KA operates mostly with 24J A321 on the route. When they use a 8J A320, availability is scarcer. If J0, it is because it is because it is fully booked, not because J is not offered on that flight.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
You will also see J0 when they are reserving the seats for married segments such as ORD-HKG-DAD. When you just look at HKG-DAD you see J0 but when you look at the connection... then their is availability.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
When you just look at HKG-DAD you see J0 but when you look at the connection... then their is availability.
That's airline pricing strategy hard at work -- rightfully so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.