Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8 hours at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 2:02 am
Original Poster

8 hours at HKG

What can I do with an 8 hour layover? Arrive HKG at 23:30 and Depart at 7:00 the next morning. It's two CX flights. Will they let me transit or do I need to exit the airport? I have lounge access. Can I use the lounge before it closes that night? The hotel at the airport is about $200 and that's a bit expensive for about 5-6 hours rest.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:50 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You can transit, and you can use the lounge. You may want to consider using the plaza premium lounges which are open 24 hours. Also look into the Aerotel but it looks like it’s closed until December.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
What can I do with an 8 hour layover? Arrive HKG at 23:30 and Depart at 7:00 the next morning. It's two CX flights. Will they let me transit or do I need to exit the airport? I have lounge access. Can I use the lounge before it closes that night? The hotel at the airport is about $200 and that's a bit expensive for about 5-6 hours rest.
It's available for as low as 125 USD on many dates during the next 2 months. I'd personally be inclined to bite for anything south of 150; there are definitely worse ways to spend money.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by sxc
You can transit, and you can use the lounge. You may want to consider using the plaza premium lounges which are open 24 hours. Also look into the Aerotel but it looks like it’s closed until December.
Is there an announced re-opening date for the Aerotel?
That would allow for a place to sleep airside?
We'll have access to CX premium lounges, but they close for several critical hours.

Thanks.

GC
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Is there an announced re-opening date for the Aerotel?
That would allow for a place to sleep airside?
We'll have access to CX premium lounges, but they close for several critical hours.

Thanks.

GC
According to the Aerotel website, it just says Closed until end of December.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by sxc
According to the Aerotel website, it just says Closed until end of December.
Thanks. That would take care of it... too late for us...

GC
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
What can I do with an 8 hour layover?
Look in the Hong Kong/Macau forum, full of people asking the same questions about layovers?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-kong-macau-436/

(search on “layover” and you’ll see)
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Many other hotels near the airport - Novotel in Tung Chung for example. Look for other options.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fairhsa
Many other hotels near the airport - Novotel in Tung Chung for example. Look for other options.
With only 5-6 hours of possible sleep time (OP's case), I wouldn't be so hip on that option, though better than overnighting in lounge for sure.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You probably should stay at the airport - the reason is the entry to the airport is strictly controlled. Everyone lines up with photo ID and flight doc (BP or same day ticket) for manual inspection before allowed to enter. We arrived airport this morning at 7:45 from Marriott SkyCity, still took us almost 10 min to be inside. Then we needed to hunt for EVA counter to get our passports checked, plus checked bags while the board has no info posted. Airport info desk found our flight and directed us to the EVA check in area.

As above, you don’t even have 5 hours. Just stay inside airport. Airside we saw sign for a relaxation zone, near gate 23, going down the same stair case as HK Express lounge. No idea what that may transpire. You may want to do further research.

This seems open to everyone.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/p...axation-corner

Last edited by Happy; Oct 22, 2019 at 1:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.