Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Blogger kicked off a flight and banned for life!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blogger kicked off a flight and banned for life!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:22 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by CX HK
Yeah but at what cost? None of these increased followers are legitimate followers liking her content, more likely just wanting to see what happens to her. In addition, now that legal proceedings look likely, she could end up paying far more than she imagined...
Maybe she can write a new blog/vlog post about "How to survive travelling on [KA/UO]/HX/outstation airlines when being based in HK"

First time I think of ability to travel in CX as a privilege, similar to driving licence.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Well, this person is clearly not an “influencer” or “blogger”.

Off topic, but I had the “pleasure” of a long haul flight on CX F when one such person was also on board. It was so obnoxious that I almost wrote to CX, but at the time, I didn’t think that CX may have invited him. This guy had hung string lights all over his part of the cabin and window making it hard to sleep or see out your window from the glare. He ordered one of everything on the menu, which meant that they ran out of some selections for myself and Mr. TravelLawyer. Attention from the FA was 80% to this guy and 20% spread to the rest of the cabin. So many photos, posing, talking to their camera - that I had to double check that I wasn’t walking in their shot when I used the lav. It was hands down the worst CX F experience I’ve ever had. (Although that’s still much better than some of the “best” F experiences I’ve had on some other airlines.) So long story short - just hope you’re not actually in a premium cabin with one of these guys/gals.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
That'd be cyberbullying. I don't want to cross that line.
Defining an acronym that’s presumably not in the FT glossary is cyber bullying??
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Defining an acronym that’s presumably not in the FT glossary is cyber bullying??
1. I think KOL falls into the common knowledge category for many/most people

2. While defining terms falls short of cyber bullying, this thread has drifted perilously close to cyber stalking, to the extent that spelling things out in an even clearer manner could prove to be regrettable
percysmith likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Sep 28, 2019 at 2:35 pm
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Well, this person is clearly not an “influencer” or “blogger”.

Off topic, but I had the “pleasure” of a long haul flight on CX F when one such person was also on board. It was so obnoxious that I almost wrote to CX, but at the time, I didn’t think that CX may have invited him. This guy had hung string lights all over his part of the cabin and window making it hard to sleep or see out your window from the glare. He ordered one of everything on the menu, which meant that they ran out of some selections for myself and Mr. TravelLawyer. Attention from the FA was 80% to this guy and 20% spread to the rest of the cabin. So many photos, posing, talking to their camera - that I had to double check that I wasn’t walking in their shot when I used the lav. It was hands down the worst CX F experience I’ve ever had. (Although that’s still much better than some of the “best” F experiences I’ve had on some other airlines.) So long story short - just hope you’re not actually in a premium cabin with one of these guys/gals.
That sounds awful, sorry to hear. I'm really hating how some companies fall over themselves to keep these bloggers happy. Even more when the people who watch their videos can't afford to fly F in the first place. Or worst, get themselves into debt in order to do so.

A friend of mine had a similar experience to yours a few weeks ago in BA Club World flying from the US.
TravelLawyer and Silver Fox like this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by jdsworld
That sounds awful, sorry to hear. I'm really hating how some companies fall over themselves to keep these bloggers happy.
I don't get it either, especially how so many actually follow these guys/gals and take what they throw up there seriously. I mean, whatever happened to understanding the concepts of hidden agendas and conflict of interests?

Anyway, these days, as TLaw observed, we're in the midst of a generation of people wanting to take pics of every experience, however ordinary or insignificant. Half of my dining companions these days insist on taking pics of their or my food (I've been asked to not begin eating until they've had a chance to snapshot it onto their phones). Whatever happened to being reserved and act as "you've been there before"? Decade ago before "mansplaining" was a thing, I would have explained this concept to my dining companions as it had been explained to me.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
I don't get it either, especially how so many actually follow these guys/gals and take what they throw up there seriously. I mean, whatever happened to understanding the concepts of hidden agendas and conflict of interests?

Well exactly, I doubt very few of these "influencers" actually use or believe in whatever product they're schilling. I'm old enough to know that, but if you're young, you might not know better...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by jdsworld

Well exactly, I doubt very few of these "influencers" actually use or believe in whatever product they're schilling. I'm old enough to know that, but if you're young, you might not know better...
I can't speak for the airline sector, but influencers for fashion and consumer brands do tend to use the products they endorse; this is sort of a prerequisite for the arrangement.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I can't speak for the airline sector, but influencers for fashion and consumer brands do tend to use the products they endorse; this is sort of a prerequisite for the arrangement.
Oh yes, I'm sure a certain % do use and trust the brands the plug on social media, but I would be pretty sure a good proportion schill for whatever brands offer them free stuff and would never actually spend their money on the product.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
If you want a social influencer try ex-SQ stewadess Jamie Chua. Ended up marrying a billionaire and now has over 1 million followers. Big brands queue up to hand her gifts. I once read her closet is the same size as my apartment.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also the daughter of the actress in the USA who was kicked out of USC (which she wanted to attend for the football games and parties, not the academic programs) and lost all of her accounts/sponsorships (primarily clothes and cosmetics AFAIK) when she and mommy were caught cheating to get her into college. Her YouTube channel used to be said to have a lot of followers.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
If you want a social influencer try ex-SQ stewadess Jamie Chua. Ended up marrying a billionaire and now has over 1 million followers. Big brands queue up to hand her gifts. I once read her closet is the same size as my apartment.
IME likable minor celebrities who might appreciate an extra $US1,000 per month in exchange for 2 hours of "work" are usually the most effective from an ROI perspective.

Number of followers (regardless of channel) is no longer a remotely useful metric (easy to make fake followers, and it's impossible to tell whether the real followers care). Fortunately, it's not difficult to measure actual influence (e.g. shares, reshares, purchasing), often before formal engagements are established.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
These are real life influencers are like....

https://www.elle.com/fashion/accesso...store-palessi/
moondog and GeezerCouple like this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by moondog
I can't speak for the airline sector...
CX does use certain social influencers to promote AM, especially through cobranded credit cards or transfer partners. I also believe they are paid.

However - again, as I have said before, I seriously doubt that CX will give out upgrades to these people. CX isn't stupid.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
CX does use certain social influencers to promote AM, especially through cobranded credit cards or transfer partners. I also believe they are paid.

However - again, as I have said before, I seriously doubt that CX will give out upgrades to these people. CX isn't stupid.
And I really doubt CX would say "Because of your social network..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.