Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Blogger kicked off a flight and banned for life!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blogger kicked off a flight and banned for life!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
The post mentioned she ask CX for upgrade before she depart TPE for both trips. And she gotten the email
Before she depart TPE.

but the so call email (or letter? Never see an email with company letter head, look like letter format) is dated 6/6/19?? Which is one day before she is flying from JFK
And "Hong Kong Dragon Airlines Limited?" They changed their name a few years ago.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by CX HK
Yeah but at what cost? None of these increased followers are legitimate followers liking her content, more likely just wanting to see what happens to her. In addition, now that legal proceedings look likely, she could end up paying far more than she imagined...
I doubt that there will be any legal proceeding. As Elliott stated, it is just an empty threat and she does not have a lawyer.

But she might have tried the trick with some other airlines or learnt from some other online crook.

I strongly doubt that she even is a travel blogger.

Last edited by brunos; Sep 27, 2019 at 5:09 am
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by CX HK
Yeah but at what cost? None of these increased followers are legitimate followers liking her content, more likely just wanting to see what happens to her. In addition, now that legal proceedings look likely, she could end up paying far more than she imagined...
No, but it’s still more followers. Giving her more ability
to go to firms trying to blag stuff saying how many followers she has. It’s unlikely it’ll go to court and she gets publicity. She looks like a terrible person and a fraud but in the end I’m sure she’s very happy with the publicity.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
As stated upthread, if the email exists then that would settle the matter quickly and easily. Kudos to Cathay. About time people who game the system get called out, while the majority play by the rules.

Perhaps the women in question has been reading Phineas T. Barnum, 'There is no such thing as bad publicity' and Oscar Wilde, 'The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about'.

Nicc
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:39 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by garykung
CX has been getting free promotions from many bloggers who flew CX using miles. Why would CX need to offer such upgrade anyway?

Also - I don't see how that person can be socially influential enough. Seriously, if I have been unjustifiably banned by CX, I would launch a massive attack trashing CX on social media. But asking someone to step in? Don't make sense.
I tried finding Jacqueline Ng's social profiles. I readily found her LinkedIn, but not her other social media profiles (anyone else had any luck?)

500 contacts in LinkedIn does not make a "social influencer"

Why would CX offer an upgrade to such a non-person (self-inflated person)? I don't see the business rationale of it

If you're trying to bribe a KOL in your line of business, that's fine, but that KOL has to be able to influence other people to spend on your airline

Jacqueline Ng seems to be a business networker at best, not even a KOL.

P.S. she disabled her LinkedIn. Still available in Google Cache

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 27, 2019 at 5:53 am
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
"Influencers" are trash and a cancer on society. I hope CX follows through on banning her for life.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:05 am
wkc

Originally Posted by percysmith
I tried finding Jacqueline Ng's social profiles. I readily found her LinkedIn, but not her other social media profiles (anyone else had any luck?)
LinkedIn profile self-deleted like you said, but found a news article about her that seemed to corroborate with her humblebrag in the original article source.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle18451644/ -> her "Top 20 Under 20 in Canada" award

Boasting about an award you received in 2008 and now you're 29 years old ... mentioning your past employment with Swire Resources Limited ... and then getting caught red-handed forging an email correspondence related to a subsidiary company...

Not good optics at all and wouldn't be surprised if she gets arrested if CX decided to press charges
percysmith likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic
I feel better

I’ve been Diamond on CX for 7 years, haven’t had a long haul upgrade in 4 years. I actually feel better knowing they didn’t give an upgrade to an “influencer” since they don’t seem to ever give them to their most loyal fliers anymore. Good for you CX.
Silver Fox and percysmith like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

500 contacts in LinkedIn does not make a "social influencer"

Why would CX offer an upgrade to such a non-person (self-inflated person)? I don't see the business rationale of it

If you're trying to bribe a KOL in your line of business, that's fine, but that KOL has to be able to influence other people to spend on your airline

Jacqueline Ng seems to be a business networker at best, not even a KOL.

P.S. she disabled her LinkedIn. Still available in Google Cache
What's a KOL and what did her LinkedIn profile say about her "profession" and employment status?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
The post mentioned she ask CX for upgrade before she depart TPE for both trips. And she gotten the email
Before she depart TPE.

but the so call email (or letter? Never see an email with company letter head, look like letter format) is dated 6/6/19?? Which is one day before she is flying from JFK

If you read deeper into the Elliott.org link you will see she admits that she used to work for CX's parent company, Swire. Anyone wanna guess where she got the letterhead and name of the marketing manager for a company she used to work for?? I think the inference everyone made was she basically forged the email. When asked to forward the original email from the company to CX for verification she declined or never responded.

On a side note, for some reason I thought mentioning or linking to articles by elliott.org here was verboten. Sort of an old rivalry with his consumer advocacy and dislike for frequent flier programs.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by s0ssos
And "Hong Kong Dragon Airlines Limited?" They changed their name a few years ago.
This is still the official name of the company holding KA license. Both Dragonair and Cathay Dragon are marketing name / identifier only.
percysmith likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:36 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's a KOL and what did her LinkedIn profile say about her "profession" and employment status?
It did. Company, profession and employment status. So professionally embarrassing for her.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It did. Company, profession and employment status. So professionally embarrassing for her.
HUH? Did it say that she still works for Swire? Or is "KOL" whatever it is her current employer? Your response doesn't seem to answer my questions.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? Did it say that she still works for Swire? Or is "KOL" whatever it is her current employer? Your response doesn't seem to answer my questions.
Within the context of consumer brands, having 500+ contacts on LI hardly meets the KOL standard. If it did, many of us would have companies banging on our doors.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I can't help wondering whether she'd have got away lightly if she had offered a grovelling apology in the lines of "I tried to smart ... my way in, but genuinely had no idea it would be fraud Im so sorry, will never do it again"

Instead of digging herself deeper at every occasion...

I can certainly sympathize, having tried similar things when I was a kid to go places for free - including hand drawing disco stamps to my wrist. It works most times but when it fails you gotta own up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.