Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX880 - any LAX experts

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Does OP really have to step outside? I thought there is now a dedicated TSA checkpoint and bag recheck area next to the arrival hall in TBIT that leads directly back into the T4-TBIT connector. I’ve used it myself a few times. I actually think LAX I-D connection within OW-AA is quite manageable nowadays because of that.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:41 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Does OP really have to step outside? I thought there is now a dedicated TSA checkpoint and bag recheck area next to the arrival hall in TBIT that leads directly back into the T4-TBIT connector. I’ve used it myself a few times. I actually think LAX I-D connection within OW-AA is quite manageable nowadays because of that.
Originally Posted by sxc
You need to go landside. From TBIT, there is a connector doorway in the arrivals section - right hand side of the arrivals hall, as you look towards the road. However, this is not always open and I don't think it's documented which hours it is open. If the door is closed, you'll need to walk to T4 which isn't far.
This is why you might have to go outside.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Accor Platinum, Discovery Titanium, Bonvoy Gold, Ultima
Thanks for the extra info. The APEC queue may help - I believe it is on the far left where the crew channel is - can anyone confirm please? This may help if there is a bottleneck elsewhere.

Much appreciate all the help so far!

Important to be well organised particularly if my bookable upgrade clears and I will have had too much Krug 2004! 😀😀
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Conkers
Thanks! AA online is 24 hours before departure?
Yes.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Very doable. LaX immigrations are not as horrible as SFO. I have done 882 to T4 and it took about 35 mins as a non native.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Very doable. LaX immigrations are not as horrible as SFO. I have done 882 to T4 and it took about 35 mins as a non native.
This is the bad thing about the US. "You just never know". It's really a mess, although fortunately things have improved the last decade. Way more reliable, but still nothing is guaranteed.

IME, I would actually say, overall LAX is more likely to have a 30+ minute delay than SFO. But indeed I've seen my two "worst" scenarios at SFO and JFK, not LAX. One was 3+ hours the other one hit 4. Both for non-American traveling companions. When SFO is bad it's really bad. Of course this is all based on anecdotes, I have averaged about 5-6 arrivals per year total across JFK, SFO and LAX (not each, total of all 3 per year) over the last 15 years, so say maybe 75 arrivals. Still not a great enough number to confidentlys say you can bank on it.

I fully agree SFO, when bad, is a true nightmare. Because it's just not big enough. I imagine this happens when the stars align and a bunch of flights land at the same time. Only seen it that way a couple times though, when the immigration hall was so full that people were a full 50+ meters packed full into the area where the jetbridges drop pax. Awful.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Yes.
thanks!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone!

Anyone know about the APEC arrangements please?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:27 am

Many thanks everyone!

Anyone know about the APEC arrangements please?

I don't use my Apec in the US which is why I felt poorly equipped to respond, but I do notice every time I enter the US an Apec sign to use the path with crew members. So I think this will substantially cut your line, if you're unlucky and there is one.

However, I don't think it entitles you to cut the customs line. That's crew and Global Entry only (not 100pct sure, going off recollection). I know as an Apec user in Asia it helps with immigration but not customs. At LAX, a bad customs day will be 20 minutes. On a normal day, 10 mins max usually less.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I don't use my Apec in the US which is why I felt poorly equipped to respond, but I do notice every time I enter the US an Apec sign to use the path with crew members. So I think this will substantially cut your line, if you're unlucky and there is one.

However, I don't think it entitles you to cut the customs line. That's crew and Global Entry only (not 100pct sure, going off recollection). I know as an Apec user in Asia it helps with immigration but not customs. At LAX, a bad customs day will be 20 minutes. On a normal day, 10 mins max usually less.
Many thanks! Appreciate it. Yes noted on customs element but knowing that the immigration element is expedited by the APEC line is already buying me valuable minutes!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:17 am

Many thanks! Appreciate it. Yes noted on customs element but knowing that the immigration element is expedited by the APEC line is already buying me valuable minutes!
IME immigration in the USA is the one that really has the chance to screw you. Although the US has gotten a lot better, it's still bad because you can't count on things working right, especially as a non-American w/o Global Entry. But fortunately your Apec card should cancel out this element. And then you'll only be left with the worst case scenario being a bad customs, which is 20 minutes and not common at that. I think you will be totally fine. Unless of course CX is really late which is out of your control.

You're in F right? Enjoy it and be relaxed. I think the Apec card should set your mind at ease, even if LAX is a zoo I think that ensures no sweat. And in all reality it will most likely be totally fine even without Apec.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:21 am
Original Poster

IME immigration in the USA is the one that really has the chance to screw you. Although the US has gotten a lot better, it's still bad because you can't count on things working right, especially as a non-American w/o Global Entry. But fortunately your Apec card should cancel out this element. And then you'll only be left with the worst case scenario being a bad customs, which is 20 minutes and not common at that. I think you will be totally fine. Unless of course CX is really late which is out of your control.

You're in F right? Enjoy it and be relaxed. I think the Apec card should set your mind at ease, even if LAX is a zoo I think that ensures no sweat. And in all reality it will most likely be totally fine even without Apec.
Many thanks! In J currently but hopefully BU will come through! Thanks for taking the time to help out here (and everyone else too!) - much appreciated.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IME, I would actually say, overall LAX is more likely to have a 30+ minute delay than SFO.
SFO is much worse recently. Possibly the worst in the country.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
SFO is much worse recently. Possibly the worst in the country.
Neither of them are awesome. Last time I came through LAX it took me an hour of snaking through the bowels of TBIT to make it back to my T6 gate 50 feet from where my incoming plane was- no terrible lines, just walking well over a mile all the way around TBIT, picking up luggage and back after being bussed to TBIT. SFO was a zoo even for Global Entry on a recent entry (I have it), I was on separate tickets () and just got checked luggage in on time after some TP flight delays whittled my reasonably safe connection to not so safe. Still took an hour to get through and checked in, even with GE, thanks to hoofing it to T2 for an AS flight (the TP flight of course comes in as far away from C&I as is humanly possible).

My next one's into SEA, I'm hoping my home port is better.

Advice to OP is pack patience when it comes to LAX.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.