Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Inflight amenity changes - First and Business - Oct 2019 onwards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This thread is to discuss changes in inflight amenities in First and Business class from October 2019.
Discussion regarding First Class catering is in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...9-onwards.html
Print Wikipost

Inflight amenity changes - First and Business - Oct 2019 onwards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Kacee
CX851 SFO-HKG departing 10/2, we had slippers. Old amenity kits, no mattress pads (I asked), pillow seemed the same. J was not full, so FA brought me extra pillow plus a duvet to use as mattress pad. Just showered in the Pier, Aesop toiletries still.
October 2 departure for that flight is really October 1 late night right (aka you go to the airport on October 1)? Still a little weird, since your plane left Hong Kong for SFO on October 1...maybe it just takes a day or two?
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1010101
And its CX affiliation. I suppose Aesop think they've gotten all they can get from the deal now.

Time for another brand to pump money into it.
I agree, compared to Aesop, Bamford is relatively unknown so they probably seized the branding opportunity with CX.

Ironically, Bamford toiletries were stocked at a place I stayed at in the UK last month. High enough quality but my preference would still go to Aesop or Jurlique.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 9:34 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
The Bamford F kit bag looks pretty good! Better than the bland Aesop box which seemed to be similar to the old Agnes B bags.

(I know the Aesop bags are sold in the Aesop stores, so they're not exactly the same as the Agnes B kits. But they were very similar externally.)
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Is it more substantial than the old one? I've been bringing my own recently.
Didn’t notice any difference from the old (and still underwhelming) pillow. I’m guessing only the cover changed.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:41 pm

Just flew on CX888 from HK to New Vancouver to New York on 2nd Oct. As per the crew, it is the first day of the new amenities, including the amenity kit, pillow, blanket etc. There is a small booklet introducing the new service.

Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:41 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 9vska
Didn’t notice any difference from the old (and still underwhelming) pillow. I’m guessing only the cover changed.
The JCL pillow covers and inners are being changed over the next week. Currently the new covers are rolled out but a softer inner will be inside soon.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by sxc
The JCL pillow covers and inners are being changed over the next week. Currently the new covers are rolled out but a softer inner will be inside soon.
Will it be thicker though? The current pillow is so thin and I am always scared to ask for an extra one. 🙈

Last edited by etkuo; Oct 3, 2019 at 1:37 am
Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
CX 870 on 10/3 has the following amenities:

1 slippers
2 new pillow - more substantial for sure
3 new duvet - I think it's a bit thinner
4 mattress pad - pretty thin but it does make a slight difference

I am told old this has been rolled out on all long haul flights effective Oct 1st
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:39 am

It’s already three days into October and isn’t unusual that there are no press release/ social media posts from CX on the new “improvements” or changes? I don’t even see publications such as ET (ex-Ausbt) or OMAAT picking up this story..
Old Oct 3, 2019, 6:19 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Central90210
It’s already three days into October and isn’t unusual that there are no press release/ social media posts from CX on the new “improvements” or changes? I don’t even see publications such as ET (ex-Ausbt) or OMAAT picking up this story..
Probably better they do this so that people don’t complain they don’t get the new products during this transition period.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Central90210
Translation: no press releases, and those guys haven't done their biweekly sweep of FT. They usually all just quote each other anyway, usually there is just one source to begin with and it gets amplified by all the repetition disguised as original reporting.

For example our CX fleet spreadsheet, a 100pct CX FT board production, is variously attributed to "head for the points" or "simply flying" on the OMATT website, lol because I guess those guys scoured FT first (they all use this bizarre term "hat tip", which I translate as a half arsed version of attribution, without any real responsibility for actual attribution). But um yea...I can confidently say that sourcing is wrong. I imagine scores of other information on that website is too.

It's the other side of the fake news coin, ironically which I frequently see disparaged on those websites. There is simply a far larger megaphone out there for what amounts to a less-enlarged amount of original content.

Last edited by QRC3288; Oct 3, 2019 at 7:10 am
Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
CX 870 on 10/3 has the following amenities:

1 slippers
2 new pillow - more substantial for sure
3 new duvet - I think it's a bit thinner
4 mattress pad - pretty thin but it does make a slight difference

I am told old this has been rolled out on all long haul flights effective Oct 1st

Slippers and bag with duvet and mattress pad Slippers were handed out. The bag was at each seat in the footwell at boarding

The mattress pads fits over the top of the seat so it doesn't slide down. I remember years ago the mattress pad on EK didn't have this and it would slide around

The pillow is larger and much thicker now, very much like a conventional pillow

On a side note, I don't think I have ever been on such an empty flight I counted 7 passengers in the main C cabin, and I think 0 in the mini cabin

not good for CX I do hope things improve for them

they are obviously caught in the middle of what is happening in Hong Kong for no fault of theirs
Old Oct 3, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: CX Gold, MB Titanium
I loved the travel size Face Moisturizer from the Aesop amenity kit. Sad to see it go, and not really replaced.
HaikalS likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 9:17 am

Has anyone flown between HKG and AUS in the last few days? I see from above that new amenities have been rolled out to long haul (US and Europe) flights.

Australia routes are always the awkward ones, as they are not really long haul, but not short haul either. Flying CX J Class in late Oct, hope will get to experience that.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:20 pm

On CX831 now. Same old pillow, blanket, and amenity kit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.